Saints v Hibs, 27th January 2019

11 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Where's the need to be rude?

It's really not working though, and I'm 100% sure it's that part of the team that are losing us games. That's a few times now we've started well but ultimately lost the midfield

Don’t cry about it i’m just a stranger on the internet.

You are correct in that it is not working. There is far more to this than 1 player in midfield supposedly selling the jerseys though. Would you say the wingers were particularly effective or tracked back today? Did Tansey or Lyons look like game changers or midfield enforcers? Jackson firing on all cylinders? Full backs not being caught out of position? Defence clearing their lines? 

We have a plethora of issues and have done since August - almost all have remained.

2 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

he also has the option to return to his old job, which was not something that saint mirren negotiated on his behalf.  We did indeed give him that contract and his old employers have also given him the chance to go back.  If he has rejected that option, moved himself and his family to the Paisley area and staked his future on his employment with us then I'd take my comment back

If this is true ( I have no reason to doubt you BOK ) then it really does put the club on a very fragile standing with regard to building a team and attracting talent when the manager doesn’t know if he is staying? 

1 minute ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

If this is true ( I have no reason to doubt you BOK ) then it really does put the club on a very fragile standing with regard to building a team and attracting talent when the manager doesn’t know if he is staying? 

When you are a right good sort your old job is often left open but few go back and I doubt OK will. He is a young highly rated coach living the dream albeit in a bloody tough job.

Wasn't a great match. Lots of aimless punts, poor passing and mistakes everywhere from both teams. We shaded the first half with a couple of good plays and passed up a couple of great chances in second, again down to mistakes by hibs. Overall as game progressed we got overrun and overstretched. Still feel new players need time to bed in. At least Hamilton and Dundee lost as well. Motherwell game another big one looming now.

Just now, magnus said:

When you are a right good sort your old job is often left open but few go back and I doubt OK will. He is a young highly rated coach living the dream albeit in a bloody tough job.

I have to admit that if I was him I would be seriously considering it. Football is a fickle game, just ask Danny Lennon 

Really disappointed. They hardly laid a glove on us, first half. As comfortable a 45 minutes as I've witnessed recently. Second half. They make changes, we don't react. Suddenly we lose the midfield and are punished. We should have been 2-0 to the good then, a minute later, it's 1-1. IF there was any silver lining it was the reaction from going behind. I thought we fought hard and could have, on another day, got back level or better. 3rd goal was a travesty as we seemed to just let the hibs players have free reign around our 18 yard box.

1 minute ago, W6Saint said:

Don’t cry about it i’m just a stranger on the internet.

You are correct in that it is not working. There is far more to this than 1 player in midfield supposedly selling the jerseys though. Would you say the wingers were particularly effective or tracked back today? Did Tansey or Lyons look like game changers or midfield enforcers? Jackson firing on all cylinders? Full backs not being caught out of position? Defence clearing their lines? 

We have a plethora of issues and have done since August - almost all have remained.

My point is that if you look at the season as a whole, of the players who have played consistently, the captain is the one I would single out as guilty of giving in to opposition pressure. I get its the top league and you're up against a better quality of player - but the one thing you can't do is switch off or lose your man. We've done that again and again, and been punished for it. 

I thought Jackson done really well during the first half, not sure what happened during the second half. Was similar to the Killie game - absolutely lost control of the midfield and lost the game as a result. 

I'd say if you look at our team as a unit, assuming we're going with 4-2-3-1, the defence is shaky but good enough, need Anton back in there. Tansey and McGinn not going to work as holding mids. If Magennis was next to McGinn it might work, maybe even Hodson until then? 

Reasonably happy with the 3 attacking mids, McAllister, Lyons and the new guy Dreyer should be fine.

Up front we badly need a target man. Jackson did well first half but once Hibs got wise to our game plan it became a very tough game for him

Kyle puts that chance away it’s completely different we then can sit back and catch hibs on the counter.

Jackson also had a good opportunity to play in 2 players in the second half when we were 1-0 up but made the wrong decision in not passing.

It’s a much more balanced team we look a hell of a lot more threatening going forward Jackson looked a lot better with more players getting up to support him and looking to create stuff.

Thought Paul possible had his worst performance for us this season and dreyer just seemed to struggle to get involved at all but he only just signed yesterday.

With the new left back and probably at least 1 more player to come in then hopefully magennis and Mullen back soon we will have a much more balanced starting line up and stronger bench to go ahead in the second half of the season

4 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I have to admit that if I was him I would be seriously considering it. Football is a fickle game, just ask Danny Lennon 

Totally agree bud. Like going through a wringer every week but looks like the guy loves it. Danny soaking up the atmosphere at the Cup Final is an image that will stay with me forever. That's why these guys do it. COYS.

25 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Where's the need to be rude?

I don't expect him to be a superhero, but I do expect him to track back when a player literally jogs past him with the ball, which has happened on several occasions this season. 

Agree with whoever it was above that said to try Lyons in beside him rather than Tansey, that could work. It's really not working though, and I'm 100% sure it's that part of the team that are losing us games. That's a few times now we've started well but ultimately lost the midfield

You think Brad Lyons should be played as a holding midfielder, seriously ??? The guy looks like a decent attacking option I really can't see anything to suggest he is the answer to the glaring lack of a defensive mid. Erharon imo would be a better option if we don't recruit one. Put him alongside McGinn and Tansey can be used as cover with Flynn moving on.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

S McGinn is f**king shite and has been all season.

Sooner he’s out the team and/or club the better.

Your a disgrace to St Mirren football club and its supporters. S McGinn put in a shift today and got kicked left right and centre he was limping a lot Stephen McGinn was a marked man even Mallan gave him a sore one. Who has stolen your account? 

59 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The game must appear different when watching it on the TV ? I thought Lyons & McGinn were actually grafting hard today. While I didn’t really expect the new signings to be up to speed yet considering they have never played in Scotland. Anyway just back home from the game, trying to defrost my knees. 

Anyhoo, plus points: we created chances, we look a lot sharper and quicker in the final third. We aren’t any further behind or main competitors ( Dundee, Hamilton) 

Not so good points: individual errors still evident (p.mcginn) 

overal we look better than before the window, however need a big centre forward, Jackson was actually doing pretty well today at bringing the ball down and holding it. We should have known Hibs were going to win today, no manager, hadn’t won in 5 games, that’s where we always help out it’s the stmirren way, we will probably win 1-0 at ibrox! 

Appreciate your opinion. Dont you think Kearney is tactically naive in losing four from winning positions?

he could have pulled Dryer and, or Lyons off early second half as they had stopped contributing and sought to manage the game and take at least one point. But he chose to leave it as was, even when Hibs came onto a game?

28 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

I realise you are a sad troll but saying the new centre back is not pulling his weight when he didn't lose a header or tackle the whole game makes you look a bigger knob than normal.:D

Tell me what he won..? I saw Baird put his neck on the line to try and influence the game. Popescu was absent in the second half. We need big characters to change it.

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Your a disgrace to St Mirren football club and its supporters. S McGinn put in a shift today and got kicked left right and centre he was limping a lot Stephen McGinn was a marked man even Mallan gave him a sore one. Who has stolen your account? 

He started well but he isn't streetwise

As he was caught a few times and he was the second prizer each time

He's an experienced player and shouldn't be bullied by Stevie Mallan

His partner is miles off the pace isn't helping either

The engine room is the biggest problem and unless it's sorted we will not move from the bottom

I agree that he was kicked something awful today and got nothing from the ref but I do wonder how much of it did he bring on himself? Can you imagine Goodwin, Murray, Aber, Millen or any other physical midfielder allowing that to happen? No they would have nailed Mallan and as they helped him to his feet, told him there's plenty more of that if you want it son.
Stephen is a tidy player but without a physical player next to him he is easily bullied. We need a ball winner to set the tone.
It might not be the Barca way but most Scottish sides need a hammer thrower.

15 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I lost count of the number of fouls on Stephen McGinn. Maybe 10 or more out of over 20 fouls by Hibs.

Defensive midfield could be better. We still fail to track runners.

Edited by St.Ricky

I lost count of the number of fouls on Stephen McGinn. Maybe 10 or more out of over 20 fouls by Hibs.
Defensive midfield could be better. We still fail to track runners.
They actually kept kicking him on the calf, which was interesting.
It was a shame to see as even if none of them were a booking, Mallan was certainly guilty of persistent fouling. I just wish Stephen had given some back.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

we did well up until HT. Sad fact is that there were no bad players out there and no real stand-out bad performances.

I think the defeat was down to poor management and a lack of coaching.  I'm glad OK has the option to go back to his former career as he simply ain't in charge at SMFC and probably never will be.  Very few people get a shot at their dream job with the option of going back to what they do well if they fail.  We should never have taken a manager who came to us on a career break.  it shows a lack of committment both on his part and on the chairman's 

We ARE marginally better than under Stubbs, but not by a hell of a lot. Time to release any high earners we still can and plan for the next life in a lower division.

There really is nothing to stop us going down this year.  A sad and thoroughly avoidable fact

Utter nonsense. What f**king difference does it make if Kearney has left on such good terms with his previous employers they have left the door open?

Answer: it makes absolutely no difference at all. Stop trying to shit stir!