Saints v Hibs, 27th January 2019

23 minutes ago, John Gotti said:

I agree that he was kicked something awful today and got nothing from the ref but I do wonder how much of it did he bring on himself? Can you imagine Goodwin, Murray, Aber, Millen or any other physical midfielder allowing that to happen? No they would have nailed Mallan and as they helped him to his feet, told him there's plenty more of that if you want it son.
Stephen is a tidy player but without a physical player next to him he is easily bullied. We need a ball winner to set the tone.
It might not be the Barca way but most Scottish sides need a hammer thrower.

Agree Stephen is not a Hachette man he is ball player ,  distributor that's why he was so successful last season. He was good today for me anyway because he has now better players around him. 

35 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Your a disgrace to St Mirren football club and its supporters. S McGinn put in a shift today and got kicked left right and centre he was limping a lot Stephen McGinn was a marked man even Mallan gave him a sore one. Who has stolen your account? 

:huh:

Very odd comment. TC posts this shite every single week.

I think S McGinn pumped his burd when he was a youth player and he has been greetin about it ever since. 

Amazing there are St Mirren fans so thick they think McGinn is a poor player and Jack Ross a bad manager! And aye, bring back Tommy Craig!

Can't believe some of the OTT reactions on here. If Kyle score that chance we win the game. We ran out of steam in the 2nd half but is it any wonder when we have new signings playing who are still getting up to speed.. Oran has been brave in this transfer window, shipping out so many and bringing in quite a few. If he'd had the luxury of a pre season i'm sure we'd be a different team right now, he hasn't, so the new guys don't have too long to adjust. Hopefully we'll see a Midfielder with a bit of dig and a striker come in this week..

On the subject of Stephen Mcginn, i definitely think he's struggling to find form but i wouldn't write him off just yet.

28 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

He started well but he isn't streetwise

As he was caught a few times and he was the second prizer each time

He's an experienced player and shouldn't be bullied by Stevie Mallan

His partner is miles off the pace isn't helping either

The engine room is the biggest problem and unless it's sorted we will not move from the bottom

Yes & No. Personally I think we will beat the drop. A new team is being put together even at the moment we look a lot better than we did. Oran is a good manager for me it's crystal clear. We will get stronger and better. 

Agree Stephen is not a Hachette man he is ball player ,  distributor that's why he was so successful last season. He was good today for me anyway because he has now better players around him. 
Aye he is, though I think Tansey looked well off the pace which didn't help.

Would have loved Goodwin on the park rather than doing match analysis as other than Gray Hibs are actually soft if you are physical back.

Every cloud has a silver lining - for instance today was one of the few games this season when we could have claimed that if we had taken our chances it would have been a different outcome at full time. We had 2 gilt edged chances before Hibs scored. As others have pointed out we did create more in the final third.

However individual mistakes and lack of concentration (and fitness?) contributed to our downfall today - particularly in the second half..

Lack of bite and dig in midfield seems to be a chronic problem for us and there is little sign that this issue is going to improve even with our latest imports.

If only we could achieve a level of consistency matching that of LPM who manages to start each paragraph of his negative bile on here with a lower case letter but at the same time to start each sentence with an upper case letter. This is an intricate level of consistency which St Mirren can only aspire to at this stage in the season.

Can’t understand some of the comments on here.

I don’t blame the keeper at all for those goals. If he doesn’t rush out at the first goal and it goes in, he gets hounded for not coming out. He was left in a difficult situation. Third goal, I actually felt he did very well to get a hand to it. If you give Mallan that amount of space in the box, chances are he’s scoring.

It would be good to see Ferdinand back but that won’t solve the defence being exposed by the midfield.

Oran should change his tactics - to what? With the players he had on the pitch, and only Ferdinand on the bench of real quality, what’s he meant to do? Go to a back 5 and invite the pressure for the whole second half? We have a large injury list right now which left us short of options. 

f**k me some people love an overreaction. We all knew this was going to be a huge rebuild. Oran’s clearly got us attacking better, we are halfway there. He’s got a left back, hopefully he’ll turn out to be decent. We are a solid DM away from a decent team. 

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Can’t understand some of the comments on here.

I don’t blame the keeper at all for those goals. If he doesn’t rush out at the first goal and it goes in, he gets hounded for not coming out. He was left in a difficult situation. Third goal, I actually felt he did very well to get a hand to it. If you give Mallan that amount of space in the box, chances are he’s scoring.

It would be good to see Ferdinand back but that won’t solve the defence being exposed by the midfield.

Oran should change his tactics - to what? With the players he had on the pitch, and only Ferdinand on the bench of real quality, what’s he meant to do? Go to a back 5 and invite the pressure for the whole second half? We have a large injury list right now which left us short of options. 

f**k me some people love an overreaction. We all knew this was going to be a huge rebuild. Oran’s clearly got us attacking better, we are halfway there. He’s got a left back, hopefully he’ll turn out to be decent. We are a solid DM away from a decent team. 

3rd goal was very poor from the keeper. At the moment releasing Lyness is looking like a very bad call.

Otherwise I would agree that most posts are an overreaction to what was a decent performance in parts.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

You think Brad Lyons should be played as a holding midfielder, seriously ??? The guy looks like a decent attacking option I really can't see anything to suggest he is the answer to the glaring lack of a defensive mid. Erharon imo would be a better option if we don't recruit one. Put him alongside McGinn and Tansey can be used as cover with Flynn moving on.

Kearney said when he brought him in that he can play either behind or in front of the midfield 

I don't actually blame the defence for the 3 goals we lost today it was the midfield who let us down, they offered no protection. Hopefully the LB coming in will allow Ethan to play in his favoured position which will give us more options but a midfielder in the same vein as Jim Goodwin is what we need in there.

22 minutes ago, Kemp said:

3rd goal was very poor from the keeper. At the moment releasing Lyness is looking like a very bad call.

Otherwise I would agree that most posts are an overreaction to what was a decent performance in parts.

Can’t agree at all on the third goal. Keeper was left completely exposed, Mallan had no pressure from the defence, and had the entire goal to aim at. In that situation there’s not much a keeper can do, that goal is down to piss poor defending and a non existent midfield. Keeper can’t even hazard a guess at where the strike will go and move early. Would never expect him to save it.

Not sure what Lyness was like commanding his area but Hladky does it well.

16 minutes ago, jimmy 1 said:

Decent 1st half and should've took more chances. 2nd half after hibs scored their 1st we were terrible. Mc McAllister looked decent but not impressed with the other new guys so far. 

I think Lyons is looking good. Popescu is suffering like the rest of the defence due to getting no help from the midfield. McAllister looks good but should have had us 2-0 up, biggest regret we will have today.

45 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Every cloud has a silver lining - for instance today was one of the few games this season when we could have claimed that if we had taken our chances it would have been a different outcome at full time. We had 2 gilt edged chances before Hibs scored. As others have pointed out we did create more in the final third.

However individual mistakes and lack of concentration (and fitness?) contributed to our downfall today - particularly in the second half..

Lack of bite and dig in midfield seems to be a chronic problem for us and there is little sign that this issue is going to improve even with our latest imports.

If only we could achieve a level of consistency matching that of LPM who manages to start each paragraph of his negative bile on here with a lower case letter but at the same time to start each sentence with an upper case letter. This is an intricate level of consistency which St Mirren can only aspire to at this stage in the season.

Pretty much sums it up. 

The usual trolls were like coiled springs today waiting for us to lose to allow them to decry the manager and his signings. One particular guy in W4 who sits a couple of rows behind me did nothing but scream abuse at all and sundry from the moment Kyle McAllister missed his chance. 

For what it's worth, I thought all of our signings had decent performances today apart from Dreyer who probably hasn't even trained with the side yet and Tansey who is part of the biggest problem area of the side at present. 

We were certainly better going forward and although it hurts to lose, I'm happier rueing passed up chances than just getting an outright doing. 

There were signs of the fighting qualities needed today, but we are still too lightweight. The real tests will come in February and March against those around us. I am not Elvislike in my pessimism but we really need to grind out points soon

To be honest I never saw much evidence of fight. Given we had a chance to jump above Dundee and Accies I was really disappointed by our lack of aggression, and how pedestrian / standoffish we were in the centre of the park. As someone else said, it’s ridiculous that Mallan wins a physical midfield battle with our skipper, but he did (although I don’t think McGinn had a really poor game overall and Mallan should have been booked for persistent fouling).

Have to say, Tansey was rank rotten. A display of Ryan Edwards quality (although at least the latter liked to put a challenge in). I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt as he’s new but his delivery from set pieces wasn’t great and he seemed to have no positional sense.

No idea how we lost that game - on the plus side, I thought McAllister, Lyons and Jackson were excellent.

Usual overreaction by the same trolls who can’t wait to jump on after a defeat.
There were some very encouraging signs today, however, we need to hope that this team of strangers gels quickly or we could be in bother.
OK said on the radio afterward that we were looking to bring in a couple of forwards and another wide player? I’d suggest shelving the wide guy and getting a dirty bastard to support McGinn in the middle.

Out-thunk by Eddie May! :toilet

Even in the shallow pool that is Scottish football Eddie may is recognised as a  bottom feeder yet today he out-thunk (and yes I know it's a spelling mistake) OK. We went in at H/T  deservedly 1-0 up but after May brought on his first sub Hibs won just about every midfield tussle and after a couple of warnings equalised, then 10 minutes later took the lead with our manager unable to do anything to save a game and 3 vital points slipping away . A third goal close to time for Hibs when we were chasing the game was pretty much a formality. :(

No subs for Saints today and in the end a well deserved defeat - can either Accies or Dundee outperform us in the race to finish bottom? :toilet.

At least the H/T music was good! :headbang

Edited by Bud the Baker

Missed it all today due to being on an SFA coaching course. From what I’ve read on here it sounds like a kick in the nuts today. Had the game for the taking and it all hinged on Mcallister’s miss at 1-0, then we collapsed, especially in midfield. Disappointing, as a win would’ve been massive.
Not much mention of the ref on here, but my mate(impartial non-bud), said we should’ve had a pen with McGregor nearly taking Jackson’s head off as he went for a header a few yards out and Gray should’ve definitely walked for a second yellow challenge, but ref bottled it. He also said there was a poor challenge on our keeper too, that was borderline red. Not suggesting our collapse was due to the ref, but sounds like he didn’t help our cause today???

Usual overreaction by the same trolls who can’t wait to jump on after a defeat.
There were some very encouraging signs today, however, we need to hope that this team of strangers gels quickly or we could be in bother.
OK said on the radio afterward that we were looking to bring in a couple of forwards and another wide player? I’d suggest shelving the wide guy and getting a dirty bastard to support McGinn in the middle.

I assume you aren’t referring to me in your initial sentence for posting an honest assessment of today’s game...if you are,
I’d like to hear which aspects of my post you disagree with?

Very disappolnting not to take anything from that game,  first half going forward was the best we have played this season. But the teams confidence is fragile because of the predicament we find ourselves in, And the turning point was the Hibs first goal,  Kamberi cleverly dragged Popescu into midfield who was trying to win a header and left a gapping hole in our defence, young Ethan who was playing well was slow to spot the danger {he's not a left back] and Hibs took full advantage, Oh how i'd love a tough tackling midfielder who takes no prisoners  :death   but anyway we are really fortunate that Dundee and Hamilton are where they are too as we really should be cut adrift by now, but were not,  This is a 3 team league for us, and we have a part to play, We have to back the team no matter how hard it gets, Keep the faith Buddies we can still win this wee league of ours. 

It’s funny some here mentioning mcginn was bullied by Mallan lol

Mallan couldn’t bully anyone he is however the best technical player on the park yesterday.

Mallan had 2 6ft+ guys alongside him in Bartley in slivka mcginn had tansey to help him.

Mcginn was the best player on the park at half time.