Saints v Hibs, 27th January 2019

I don't actually blame the defence for the 3 goals we lost today it was the midfield who let us down, they offered no protection. Hopefully the LB coming in will allow Ethan to play in his favoured position which will give us more options but a midfielder in the same vein as Jim Goodwin is what we need in there.
How are the midfield at fault for the 2nd? Rotten header from Paul McGinn, a defender. Which was typical of his performance over the whole 90 mins.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Kearney said when he brought him in that he can play either behind or in front of the midfield 

He may well have done for OK at NI league level. I have seen the guy play only a couple of hours football but can see nothing to suggest he could be a success in a defensive midfield role at this level. He looks really promising to me but more in a driving the team forward role. He looks so far to me to be an at taking player but it's early days. It would weaken us in an at taking sense. Why not try Ethan in the holding mind role ?

18 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Missed it all today due to being on an SFA coaching course. From what I’ve read on here it sounds like a kick in the nuts today. Had the game for the taking and it all hinged on Mcallister’s miss at 1-0, then we collapsed, especially in midfield. Disappointing, as a win would’ve been massive.
Not much mention of the ref on here, but my mate(impartial non-bud), said we should’ve had a pen with McGregor nearly taking Jackson’s head off as he went for a header a few yards out and Gray should’ve definitely walked for a second yellow challenge, but ref bottled it. He also said there was a poor challenge on our keeper too, that was borderline red. Not suggesting our collapse was due to the ref, but sounds like he didn’t help our cause today???

Don't know about penalty

Indirect free kick for high feet

It’s funny some here mentioning mcginn was bullied by Mallan lol

Mallan couldn’t bully anyone he is however the best technical player on the park yesterday.

Mallan had 2 6ft+ guys alongside him in Bartley in slivka mcginn had tansey to help him.

Mcginn was the best player on the park at half time.

Mallan fouled him 5 times in the opening 15 minutes alone.

1 minute ago, ScotstounSaint said:
1 hour ago, proudtobeabuddy said:
I don't actually blame the defence for the 3 goals we lost today it was the midfield who let us down, they offered no protection. Hopefully the LB coming in will allow Ethan to play in his favoured position which will give us more options but a midfielder in the same vein as Jim Goodwin is what we need in there.

How are the midfield at fault for the 2nd? Rotten header from Paul McGinn, a defender. Which was typical of his performance over the whole 90 mins.

They were posted missing in the 2nd half especially and Hibs were taking full advantage of the space we allowed them. During the 2nd half i said to my brother that Hibs had taken control of the game and if we didn't get a 2nd we'd pay for it. The McCallister miss changed the game.... we'd have sat back and hit on the break and perhaps won 3-0, it was the turning point in the game.

Lost this today from the cusp of winning it. Damaging stuff today. We miss a sitter to get clear then Hibs woke up, we got all weary in thought and control. After they equalised  the outcome was inevitable. 

S McGinn is a fine midfield player , passing positional sense, his problem is he is overweight. He also needs a partner in midfield as we rely too much on him. Mallan took over and ran the show second half.

We desperately need to sort out a decent support act for Jackson.

Too many newbies and need to settle a shape and establish a sense of a team again. Will we do it in time this season, presently it looks a tall order. Up coming fixture schedule looks ominous.

Oh in that 1st half where we were the better side[emoji106]

Didn’t realise because you result to fouling someone when they are getting the better of you means your bullying someone lol

How many times did he foul mcginn in the second half when hibs were more on top?

You logic doesn’t seem to add

Hibs forced changed through injury to bring shaw on seemed to free up Mallan to do what he does best pass the ball around and shoot he didn’t bully anyone and never has.

Oh in that 1st where we were the better side[emoji106]

Didn’t realise because you result to fouling someone when they are getting the better of you means your bullying someone lol

How many times did he foul mcginn in the second half when hibs were more on top?

You logic doesn’t seem to add u

Hibs forced changed through injury bring shaw on seemed to free up Mallan to do what he does best pass the ball around and shoot he didn’t bully anyone and never has.

I don’t know how much football you have played but if you boot someone that often that early in a game and they don’t come back at you then chances are they won’t and you own them.

We were the better team in the first half but Stephen went very quiet and didn’t need to be bullied in the second half as the job was done. Now his lack of tracking back could be down to any number of reasons but rubbing his calf after Mallan nailed him repeatedly so early in the game certainly suggests he was worse for it.

In any side you need to win your personal battles and that starts with the physical one. If Mallan had kicked Goodwin, Goody would have went through him and let him know the score. Stephen just kept taking it, like others have said he is a good player but as captain and in the middle of the park, he needs to set the tone.

I like him as and he is clearly a good player but he can’t allow Mallan to have 5 unanswered kicks at him.

Mallan’s been coached to be more combative since he left us, he was alll over McGinn in the first half when McGinn was doing ok , but in the 2nd half McGinn should have returned the compliment, but Mallan was allowed to swan about to his heart’s content .

Guest TPAFKATS
If..... ffs
what about what actually happened?
actually.. we are in prime position to drop straight out of the league. No ifs, no buts..
actually Oran has presided over four winning positions, and ended up with plums..
Gie it a rest ya dick.

I don’t know how much football you have played but if you boot someone that often that early in a game and they don’t come back at you then chances are they won’t and you own them.

We were the better team in the first half but Stephen went very quiet and didn’t need to be bullied in the second half as the job was done. Now his lack of tracking back could be down to any number of reasons but rubbing his calf after Mallan nailed him repeatedly so early in the game certainly suggests he was worse for it.

In any side you need to win your personal battles and that starts with the physical one. If Mallan had kicked Goodwin, Goody would have went through him and let him know the score. Stephen just kept taking it, like others have said he is a good player but as captain and in the middle of the park, he needs to set the tone.

I like him as and he is clearly a good player but he can’t allow Mallan to have 5 unanswered kicks at him.

We scored on the 24th minute strange how that happened after five kicks at mcginn in the 1st 15 mins.

And strange also how hibs only got better when oli shaw came on I though they would have dominated from the 15th minute since mcginn was getting bullied by mallan.

Is hilarious your trying to compare Stevie mallan to Jim Goodwin and question my knowledge on football

Guest TPAFKATS
No it wasn't. Baird played him on 
Feet looked to be in line, rest of him ahead of Baird. Haven't seen a line across the park (yet)
Now seen it on a big telly, yes you're right he was onside.

4 minutes ago, billyg said:

Mallan’s been coached to be more combative since he left us, he was alll over McGinn in the first half when McGinn was doing ok , but in the 2nd half McGinn should have returned the compliment, but Mallan was allowed to swan about to his heart’s content .

We certainly do need someone to put the boot in in the middle of the park. Or preferably, our entire midfield to track back properly and up the levels of aggression.

Tansey isn't the answer from his performances so far. After Danny Rodgers and now this, Aberdeen must love getting a phone call from Paisley!

I think Erhanon has earned his shot at playing the holding midfield role now, and I would get big Anton back in the team as soon as possible.

I wonder if Jimmy Nicholl's heart is really in this gig? I didn't have him down as the type of person that would coach a team with such a weak spine and such low levels of aggression. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Lost this today from the cusp of winning it. Damaging stuff today. We miss a sitter to get clear then Hibs woke up, we got all weary in thought and control. After they equalised  the outcome was inevitable. 
S McGinn is a fine midfield player , passing positional sense, his problem is he is overweight. He also needs a partner in midfield as we rely too much on him. Mallan took over and ran the show second half.
We desperately need to sort out a decent support act for Jackson.
Too many newbies and need to settle a shape and establish a sense of a team again. Will we do it in time this season, presently it looks a tall order. Up coming fixture schedule looks ominous.
Stephen McGinn is overweight... Ffs

We scored on the 24th minute strange how that happened after five kicks at mcginn in the 1st 15 mins.

And strange also how hibs only got better when oli shaw came on I though they would have dominated from the 15th minute since mcginn was getting bullied by mallan.

Is hilarious your trying to compare Stevie mallan to Jim Goodwin and question my knowledge on football.

How did I compare Mallan to Goodwin? I said what Goodwin would have done if Mallan had fouled him.

Your a disgrace to St Mirren football club and its supporters. S McGinn put in a shift today and got kicked left right and centre he was limping a lot Stephen McGinn was a marked man even Mallan gave him a sore one. Who has stolen your account? 

Malian has a few digs in at him & should of been spoken to or booked well before he was.

26 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Kearney looks like a rabbit, frozen in the headlights.

talks a good game, sounds learned... but when the bombs start going off around him he freezes and makes no decisions. Sorry OK but you really are a KO for our opposition.

In the few glimpses of the dug-out that sky TV coverage showed, Jimmy Nicholl seemed to be the more authoritative figure.  Which, in my opinion, is not good news.

I wouldn't mind too many chiefs if one of the chiefs knew what he was doing..  All Hibs had to do was kick us and keep running and that is simply not good enough.

1 hour ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Gray should’ve definitely walked for a second yellow challenge, but ref bottled it. He also said there was a poor challenge on our keeper too, that was borderline red. Not suggesting our collapse was due to the ref, but sounds like he didn’t help our cause today???

Gray was the same culprit who went in on our keeper. He was never winning that race and there was no need to go in on Hladky like that. Thankfully he didn’t catch him with the studs, it was a very poor challenge but had he caught him differently we’d have seen the red. The second incident - he did win the ball, 100%, but the follow through was extremely heavy, and pretty reckless from someone already on a yellow for a heavy tackle. 

Guest TPAFKATS
talks a good game, sounds learned... but when the bombs start going off around him he freezes and makes no decisions. Sorry OK but you really are a KO for our opposition.
Given the background that OK has been brought up in that's a particularly crass statement.

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

:huh:

Very odd comment. TC posts this shite every single week.

I think S McGinn pumped his burd when he was a youth player and he has been greetin about it ever since. 

Amazing there are St Mirren fans so thick they think McGinn is a poor player and Jack Ross a bad manager! And aye, bring back Tommy Craig!

He’s a WUM. Does it to get his kicks. Posts nonsense and personal agendas for dramatic effect. Done the same throughout the Danny Lennon days. 

27 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Given the background that OK has been brought up in that's a particularly crass statement.

Really..? What the f**k are you on about mate? Have You any idea of my background? Just f**k off with your "oh... I'm offended" shit. Go on f**k off and never try and trip anyone with whatever skeltons You've got rattling. That is the lowest type of trolling imageable.