Saints v Hibs, 27th January 2019

4 hours ago, Jack the lad said:

Yet neither the lino or ref give them!

Neither the "lino" or ref gave McAllister a foul and Bartley a booking when Bartley pulled McAllister's shirt and swung an arm across his chest in the second half. The decison they made on that one was a free kick to Hibs because McAllister then bumped into the back of Bartley causing him to dive. Bartley also dived in the first half before a St Mirren player touched him but by the time he hit the deck there was a St Mirren player closing him down... verdict, free kick to Hibs.

Second half David Gray knocks ball out for a corner as clear as day and claims for a bye kick, verdict bye kick for Hibs.

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Totally agree, our main weakness yesterday was our lack of options on the bench. If we had Muzak, Cooke,  and Magennis on the bench we could have brought on much need fresh legs for the last quarter. Good display yesterday, a week or two working on shape and formation and we, ll be able to compete with most. 

I think we will be transformed in so much as I would expect us to now be in with a shout of beating Hamilton, rather than looking like we could play them all day and not score, and if we were in a play off final I would feel a lot more confident about winning that against Ayr, Dundee Utd etc than with the squad before the window... this is Kearney's starting point this season.

42 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Not the first time this season that we've had a good 1st 45 mins and haven't turned up for the 2nd half. The Killie game at home springs to mind when we were also 1-0 up at half-time and went on to lose the game. We know in that situation that the opposition are going to come at us in the 2nd half but just seem to invite it on and end up suffering the consequences. 

We're trying to play far too measured a game and aren't good enough to sit in for 45 mins hoping for a killer 2nd goal on a counter attack. It nearly worked yesterday if McAllister had stuck away his chance but let's face it - it was a chance out of nothing rather than us showing any sort of clinical ability on the counter attack.

Nevertheless, I was encouraged that we were competing in first 45. 

Mistake by Popescu at the first goal but other than that he had a good game. The big man was disappointed with himself. 

Still have the same concerns as others that we're too soft in the middle of the park with McGinn and and Tansey. I'm giving Tansey a pass at the moment as I'm hopeful that he's still getting up to speed after not playing for so long. 

Thats four games now where we were in front at half time, desperate for the points but Kearney fails to change our line up or shape to manage the game out. Yesterday was crying out for Ferdinand to be brought on to anchor the defence, and let the midfield be more aggresive in breaking up their play.

why Kearney cant see this is mystifying? We just aren't set up to try and play it through for ninety minutes. When we have an advantage it should be protected, not risked to be followed by the familar lines in the post match interview of "if only".

serious question now, can anyone see that line up stopping any team from taking three points for the remainder of the season?

21 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

It shows that you were not at the game.

The defence generally played well. OK Erhanon was missing a couple of times. But it was the midfield and Jackson who lost markers for all the goals.

It is like we are not fit enough. We play for 45 or 60 minutes then switch off. Hibs were always going to come back at us, but the new team are not up to full fitness yet.

Dreyer vanished for much of the match, Lyons and Jackson were superb in the 1st 45 but where did they go after that? I know they still contributed, but it was a good chunk less.

We also did not have much in the way of options on the bench, so it is no surprise Hibs gained strength as the game went on.

We will get better though - keep the faith .  . . . :ninja

Lyons fell out of it after he got booked, I think the sending off at the Alloa game might have been on his mind in the second half as he wasn't putting in the same type of challenges.

1 hour ago, Iamhammer said:

Lyons fell out of it after he got booked, I think the sending off at the Alloa game might have been on his mind in the second half as he wasn't putting in the same type of challenges.

That might well have been a factor - but the match really changed especially once Shaw came on - we did not adjust and had nothing on the bench to help.

I am not looking to attribute blame - but as the managers hands were a bit tied with what was at his disposal, I would be looking for my Captain and someone at the heart of the defence to make sure we has noted the change in Hibs formation and were fully able to cope with it - that did not happen and while Erhahon was up field Shaw had space and I think Jackson or Erhahon  failed to mark him at the other goal as well.

I really like Erhahon and think it is amazing at how he has stepped up at such a young age. I also think it is a bit unfair to expect him to be a LB. He does well much of the time, but I am hoping he gets a chance in front of Mateo. He is a natural LB who looks fast and does the simple stuff well - I think he will link up going forward and get crosses in, but still have a more defensive mindset - we need that in this position . . .

18 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yes you probably could. Because when someone questions my service to my country, and the pride and privilege of serving with the men and women of our isles. I dont shirk telling them(and god willing one day to their face) to f**k right off!

happy to meet anyone, anytime, face to face to discuss it.

There was that time I serviced yir maw!

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Thats four games now where we were in front at half time, desperate for the points but Kearney fails to change our line up or shape to manage the game out. Yesterday was crying out for Ferdinand to be brought on to anchor the defence, and let the midfield be more aggresive in breaking up their play.

why Kearney cant see this is mystifying? We just aren't set up to try and play it through for ninety minutes. When we have an advantage it should be protected, not risked to be followed by the familar lines in the post match interview of "if only".

serious question now, can anyone see that line up stopping any team from taking three points for the remainder of the season?

Is that a "serious" question in January ?

Funny seem to remember posters back in Jan 2017 saying exactly the same............. we avoided the play offs by a bll hair. I will take that and support the team to achieve

Its good to see you being a neg on two different threads at the  time:lol:

6 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

No, clearly you and a few others want to shut it down

Do I?

Where did I say that?

I quite clearly targetted what you said. At no point did I ask you not to say it.

I think you are confusing freedom of speech with freedom of consequences of indulging in that freedom of speech.

Edited by oaksoft

5 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think we will be transformed in so much as I would expect us to now be in with a shout of beating Hamilton, rather than looking like we could play them all day and not score, and if we were in a play off final I would feel a lot more confident about winning that against Ayr, Dundee Utd etc than with the squad before the window... this is Kearney's starting point this season.

Having watched Ayr v Dundee Utd on Friday, I would strongly fancy us in any play-off.  The 2 of them were rotten.

18 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Is that a "serious" question in January ?

Funny seem to remember posters back in Jan 2017 saying exactly the same............. we avoided the play offs by a bll hair. I will take that and support the team to achieve

Its good to see you being a neg on two different threads at the  time:lol:

Not so good to see you doing your troll thing on multiple threads. 

In 2017 it took till near the end of Feb to start winning games, and we won a lot. Against Brechin, Qos, Dunfermline etc... before the split we play Rangers, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hearts, Livvy, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Dundee, Celtic and Hamilton.

then we will play probably Hibs, Livvy, Motherwell, Hamilton & Dundee again. How many wins do you see there? By and large our games against Dundee & Hamilton will probably just cancel each other out, we need wins against some of the others to move up and out.

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Not so good to see you doing your troll thing on multiple threads. 

In 2017 it took till near the end of Feb to start winning games, and we won a lot. Against Brechin, Qos, Dunfermline etc... before the split we play Rangers, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hearts, Livvy, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Dundee, Celtic and Hamilton.

then we will play probably Hibs, Livvy, Motherwell, Hamilton & Dundee again. How many wins do you see there? By and large our games against Dundee & Hamilton will probably just cancel each other out, we need wins against some of the others to move up and out.

Does it really matter what I see ? I support mate................. I live in hope- its why I support Saints and so far I have witnessed in my time supporting

77-  Prom as Champs 

79- Anglo Scottish Winners

87- Scottish Cup

91- Relegation

00- Promotion

01- Relegation

06- Promotion as Champs 

10- Lose LC Final;

13 Win League Cup

15- Relegation

18- Promotion as Champions

19 ????

Not to mention a few diddy Cup trips, Games in Europe, 4-0 thrashing Tic, 4-1 thumping Gers , 6-2 thumping Hearts, and loads of thumping Ton and lots of Cup semis

If we stay up- Well Done Team........................ if we go down ................... Support them to go back up...........................

You should try it  !!!!

We played that well we got our arsed well and truly kicked. If the defence played ok I'd have been optimistic, but could see the fractures even before half time.  The defense was shocking and passing, clearing the ball and general awareness were all well below par.  Have been trying to keep the faith, remain positive and hope for improvement but not seeing much to keep my optimism.  I really hope that we are on the cusp of a big improvement- but only time will tell

Ref never gave us any protection, Gray should have been booked for that ball and man challenge on McAllister, McGinn was targeted and fouled several times and was maybe playing the second half carrying a slight injury. 

We had no options on the bench to change things. 

That said I thought we created a few chances and played reasonably well. 

Think we will put a wee run together. 

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Does it really matter what I see ? I support mate................. I live in hope- its why I support Saints and so far I have witnessed in my time supporting

77-  Prom as Champs 

79- Anglo Scottish Winners

87- Scottish Cup

91- Relegation

00- Promotion

01- Relegation

06- Promotion as Champs 

10- Lose LC Final;

13 Win League Cup

15- Relegation

18- Promotion as Champions

19 ????

Not to mention a few diddy Cup trips, Games in Europe, 4-0 thrashing Tic, 4-1 thumping Gers , 6-2 thumping Hearts, and loads of thumping Ton and lots of Cup semis

If we stay up- Well Done Team........................ if we go down ................... Support them to go back up...........................

You should try it  !!!!

I missed the 6..2 win over Hearts as I was at a wedding.  Kept popping out to check the score. Couldn't believe it.  COYS