Celtic v St Mirren - 23rd January 2019 (with thanks to Eric Arthur Blair)

2 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

We are bottom and in honesty, we deserve to be. In truth, the only saving grace is that we have shipped the stubbs squad as we would only have been further adrift at this point had we not. 

We've a harder set of games than Dundee and Hamilton coming and we need to look at games such as St Jonstone a few weeks back and even Aberdeen and his lately and acknowledge we have threw points away. 

Defence and immediately in front of defence (central mid) is a real issue. 

We all play the same teams. We need to be off the bottom and within a win of tenth at the split. That really is the target now. But infear Oran doesnt know how to play, to not lose?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

We all play the same teams. We need to be off the bottom and within a win of tenth at the split. That really is the target now. But infear Oran doesnt know how to play, to not lose?

To do that he really needs to get players in

That was a shambles tonight

I thought Sellic weren't that good we were dreadful

Time for Gus and co to up their game to give us a chance

The squad as shown tonight isn't good enough to compete in this league

An abject performance to say the least.

The lack of awareness or concentration from our players, especially the defenders is absolutely criminal. If they're not stopping and watching opposition players work a chance for themselves they're putting in half-arsed challenges that wouldn't dispossess an under 12.

Nobody is expecting to go to CP and pull off a shock but what I think we all expect is 100% effort and to see basic defending carried out. What do we work on in training on a weekly basis? We have no defensive shape or structure, the midfield never tracks back to help the defence and going forward we're horrible in possession - We are not a cohesive unit at all.

Can't get too carried away as it's Celtic and there's a huge gulf in class between both sides but after watching that tonight I reckon most if not all Premiership teams would've taken one or two from us.

Worrying.

Edited by Spam_Valley

The difference in class showed in the goal scorers.  Burke 2, Sinclair 1.(pen) and Weah. Two debutants share 3 goals + 1 from a previous top scorer. 

One 15 million pound player,  one 1 million pounds plus player and a young player from what is,  arguably, currently the world's richest club. 

I'm not going to savage our players or our manager.  Our concern is the other end of this league and we are amazingly still in touch. 

As others have said though we have a difficult run of games coming up and we need to improve (not just add to the squad) 

Just a word on Hodson.  He suffered more than one very heavy challenge before being stretched off. 

He looked interested and was playing quite well. 

Hope he is OK for many reasons. 

Admittedly a game we never expected anything from but watching any St Mirren team roll over like that is a disgrace.

All this chat for months about giving OK time with his own team, he should be capable of coaching players to do basics at the bare minimum. We’re now entering into the territory of it no longer being Stubbs’ team and we are still making the same basic errors we were in September. Concerning.

Finally, it’s time for 3/4 genuine quality players with a bit of fight - not faffing about with loan deals for Right Backs when we have 2 already (ironically 2 of our better players!)

Edited by W6Saint

I don't expect us to beat Celtic but I sure as hell expect the team to compete. We are physically weaker than any other team in the league. We lack strength all over the park. Centre midfield is out its depth. McGinn is off the pace and i only wish he could tackle like his brother. John not Paul. I expected us to have players in quickly and can only hope those targeted are worth it. We need at least one striker, a winger, left and right back and definitely a strong Shuggy Murray type of centre midfield. 

1 hour ago, south_seas_saint said:

29 years last time we won at pee heid not many of even our good squads have had better results ................this game does not dictate where we finish we know who we need to beat and we have time we are still in the race that's the main thing

better tell Top Cat he seems to think we used to win there when Gus was boss! In 4 seasons under Gus in the SPL we beat them once in the league and once in the cup, there were a few 1-5 defeats and a 0-7 under Gus.

Disappointing result, but can't be too surprised. We did not compete in the game much at all, however virtually no team has gone to parkhead this season has been able to do that. Celtic have a 100% record at home this season, we've seen Dundee and Motherwell go there recently and lose by 3, Hearts lose 5-0 and Killie lose 5-1 in the not too distant past, so it isn't much of a shock to see that we weren't able to compete much at all either. They are just streets ahead of us (and just about every other team) in terms of quality and it just makes it so difficult to try and keep them out. We are just gonna have to take this one on the chin, forget about it and move on and not judge how the rest of the season is gonna pan out based on a heavy defeat at parkhead which we have all seen plenty times before.  

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Being honest, it's really a Ross, Scott and Stubbs debacle, it ain't over yet either.

I didn't want to mention JR because I have stated on previous chats that I think he has to take the lions share for the situation we find ourselves in with all the messing around during the seasons break with potential moving on..............

Now before anyone shoots me down YES Jack did a fantastic job saving our club from a catastrophic event however sadly we didn't get to see if he actually could have made us any better than where we are now in the PREMIER league and we never will ...........so call me what you will but I'll stick with whoever the current gaffer is in charge until he has been proven one way or the other just like Stubbs who I wanted to succeed for all our sake instead he set out to destroy any relationship with club players and fans  from the off and we know the outcome of that.

I would go as far as to say that should Oran not succeed in keeping us up that he should be given the opportunity to build a team that can return and challenge, as I said he has taken on a job that was always going to be difficult and I believe we need to give him the chance with the resources "limited as they" are to bring the success we all hope for to SMFC77 

Also let's always remember that managers like players get hunted as we know first hand the only thing that is consistent with any club long term or that should be life term is us the FANS who support, spend, and live for the glory moments of our beloved Club.

2 hours ago, saintargyll said:

no damage done what so ever..

reality.....beginning of the night ...2 points behind 10th place

end of the night ...2 points behind 10th place

Partially agree.  Goal difference took a hit but,  if I am correct, then still better than Dundee and Hamilton. 

Just listened to OK’s post match interview & he’s correct in saying results against Celtic won’t make or break our season its results against other teams round about us. He’s not saying he’s not disappointed in the way we conceded goals. Plus as mentioned above a few better teams than us have came to breeze block stadium & got hammered so it’s not just us. Anyway time to move on to the next game.

If we didn't think we have a mountain to climb well we surely do now. 1 week left in the transfer window left and a huge amount still to do if we want to survive in this week.

I didn't expect to get anything from the game but expected a bit of bite and battle, we got neither, very worrying indeed. OK certainly has his work cut out.

Big weekend coming up as we don't want do be cast adrift at the bottom.

Poor as we were last night, it's also worth noting that Celtic played very well indeed. 

You are always going to hope teams who are technically better have a low energy day against you as that's your only real chance. When a team is so clearly technically superior as well as high tempo and in your face like last night, well there's not much you can do. We simply weren't allowed more than a second or two on the ball which led to us panicking every time we did have it. 

Celtic would have given most teams in the league a shoeing playing like they did last night. In the end we got quite lucky it was only 4.

You can blame the manager for the result, but really poor individual errors costs the first two goals.

Ethan concedes a free kick for getting far too tight to Forrest, Tansey completely loses Burke in the box and the keeper should have done better. For the second, what a ridiculous tackle by S McGinn in the box.

2-0 down with 15 mins to play at the home of champions. Absolutely no hope.