Celtic v St Mirren - 23rd January 2019 (with thanks to Eric Arthur Blair)

The team Oran is trying to build will need a a while to gel, while hopefully picking up points. We’re desperately needing a LB, Ethan is is a great young player but he’s being played out of position. The bare minimum we need before the transfer window closes is a proper LB and a striker, another winger would be really good.

better tell Top Cat he seems to think we used to win there when Gus was boss! In 4 seasons under Gus in the SPL we beat them once in the league and once in the cup, there were a few 1-5 defeats and a 0-7 under Gus.

Ha my word.

What I said was ‘we’ve always lost there in my living memory, apart from when wee Baldy was in charge’.

I was referring to the only time we have played at at Parkhead and not lost in the last 28 years, which was Celtic 1-1 St Mirren in December 2007.

The amount of seethe from that... jeez. I wasn’t referring to the twice he beat them in Paisley although thanks for reminding us of them, great days!

We went into last night's game against a very strong green bigot team, who played very well by all accounts, with arguably the weakest and least prepared side we've ever played against them.

I've seen way better Saints teams that the current one end up getting tonked in a similar manner or worse.

However, that's not ignoring the fact that we are a poor, poor team at present.

We can only hope that before next Friday we get some quality players in that can fill the gaping holes in our team.

10 hours ago, HSS said:

54821 in attendance.

Fake news!

Also, who the f*ck was the guy walking along the track waving a bit of paper at us at half time? Did he win something?

The pavements around Parkhead were treacherous with ice last night. A joke to think that we once had a game postponed for this when the pitch was fine.

The Celtic drummer has got all the rhythm of the likes of Cozy Powell, Keith Moon and John Bonham. But, in fairness to them, they've all been dead for years. 

3 hours ago, ged62 said:

Just listened to OK’s post match interview & he’s correct in saying results against Celtic won’t make or break our season its results against other teams round about us. He’s not saying he’s not disappointed in the way we conceded goals. Plus as mentioned above a few better teams than us have came to breeze block stadium & got hammered so it’s not just us. Anyway time to move on to the next game.

What about when it comes to beating Hearts , Hibs the St Johnstone's ?  We need to win every game we can not just beat the teams around us.

47 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Ha my word.

What I said was ‘we’ve always lost there in my living memory, apart from when wee Baldy was in charge’.

I was referring to the only time we have played at at Parkhead and not lost in the last 28 years, which was Celtic 1-1 St Mirren in December 2007.

The amount of seethe from that... jeez. I wasn’t referring to the twice he beat them in Paisley although thanks for reminding us of them, great days!

I have been following St Mirren since 1967 memory tells me you can count in one hand how many times we have won at Parkhead in 41 years. 

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I have been following St Mirren since 1967 memory tells me you can count in one hand how many times we have won at Parkhead in 41 years. 

What about the missing decade ? 

22 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

?????????????

Not quite sure what you mean. I'm not a fan of either of the old firm but I'm not quite with you on this post. :blink:

But it didn't win at Rugby Park.

We are the third team in Paisley because of religious bigotry and sectarianism. 

Easy to work out. 

6 minutes ago, shull said:

But it didn't win at Rugby Park.

We are the third team in Paisley because of religious bigotry and sectarianism

Easy to work out. 

I don't put it down to that solely. There are a lot of glory hunters who follow a team simply because they win trophies and maybe because their father took them to their ground when they were kids.

I do accept that a certain large element will be attracted to each team because of some misguided belief that religion is an important part of supporting a football team.

However I do know quite a few Protestant Celtic supporters and quite a few Catholic Rangers supporters. I suppose you might put them down for being totally misguided! :unsure:

In another fantasy world, and only Celtic and Rangers existed and if you were a football supporter, which of the two ugly sisters would you prefer to watch?.......................... and don't just say neither! :P

12 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

I certainly never expected to win at Celtic Park but quite frankly we were absolutely woeful for goodness sake we are supposed to be full time pros.We had no pass marks our team had no shape character or desire.We had a sub subbed that’s how bad it was and shockingly bad on leadership.We have only a very short time to add to an extremely poor squad.I am now beginning to lose faith on all fronts.

Yes, but you are looking for an excuse to support Cammy Smith in his new team :P

The squad is thin - we HAD to offload - for financial and progress reasons. There is always pain before there is gain. :spud7

Tansey not up to full speed yet - HE lost his marker for our 1st last night. Then Hodson gets injured and that interrupts the plan for the match. Then McGinn was a bit unlucky in giving away the 2nd. After that it was damage limitation.

You must not lose sight of what our squad was like once Stubbs had f**d us. Oran managed to get in 4 really good guys with the goal that we would not become detached - Target 1 achieved in full. :happyclapper

This is the tough bit of the January window - things contrive to thwart our plans - but some good things/signings will happen.. Have patience my friend :whistle

We should never be happy about losing any game but lets take a look at other home league results at Celtic Park this season and keep it in perspective.

All of their league games at home have been victories and there have been some worse drubbings handed out:

Livingston Sat, 4th Aug Livingston Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H 3:1 Stats

Hamilton Sun, 26th Aug Hamilton Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H 1:0 Stats

Rangers Sun, 2nd Sep Rangers Ladbrokes Premiership 12:00 H 1:0 Stats

Aberdeen Sat, 29th Sep Aberdeen Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H 1:0 Stats

Hibernian Sat, 20th Oct Hibernian Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H 4:2 Stats

Heart of Midlothian Sat, 3rd Nov Heart of Midlothian Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H 5:0 Stats

Kilmarnock Sat, 8th Dec Kilmarnock Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H 5:1 Stats

Motherwell Wed, 19th Dec Motherwell Ladbrokes Premiership 19:45 H 3:0 Stats

Dundee Sat, 22nd Dec Dundee Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H 3:0 Stats

St Mirren Wed, 23rd Jan St Mirren Ladbrokes Premiership 19:45 H 4:0 Stats

Edited by southsidebud

Reality check for those who can admit it?

that was not Celtic's first choice team last night, and by all accounts Airdrie gave them a better game than we did. Didn't expect us to win, or even be close really. But the tactical naivety that Oran continually displays is frightening. That was the weirdest starting line up I've seen, and as soon as we needed a sub we are bringing on players who apparently have no place at the club?

its all well and good shipping out 15-16 players to save money, and try and recruit quality, if you can recruit it? Our new goalie, centre back and midfielder have been part of a team that's shipped six in two games, and we have nothing on the bench to worry them about being dropped.

can only assume that Anton is injured, and was never going to play last night or Saturday? Which begs the bleedin obvious question? Why the f**k is he taking up a squad place? Shouldnt you have someone on the bench you can bring on?

I have read, posters and even our managers comment that 'games against celtic wont define our season'. What utter pish! Does that mean Oran is up for surrendering the draw he got against them in his first game, and his comments after that?

the damage to team morale after such an inept performance will be harsh, it does matter how you lose! It also matters very much to potential targets you may be in for!

Do you think they would take more notice over a few comments on here questioning their worth, or perhaps be swayed elsewhere after seeing the level of performances their prospective teammates are capable of..?

Dundee have shown they are up for the fight, we struggled with Alloa, now an indifferent Hibs are up next, who have made some good acquisitions. This is a MUST win game for us given what follows on its heels. If Dundee pick up points on Saturday, and next week, and we dont? We will become detached at the bottom no matter what Hamilton do!

40 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I don't put it down to that solely. There are a lot of glory hunters who follow a team simply because they win trophies and maybe because their father took them to their ground when they were kids.

I do accept that a certain large element will be attracted to each team because of some misguided belief that religion is an important part of supporting a football team.

However I do know quite a few Protestant Celtic supporters and quite a few Catholic Rangers supporters. I suppose you might put them down for being totally misguided! :unsure:

In another fantasy world, and only Celtic and Rangers existed and if you were a football supporter, which of the two ugly sisters would you prefer to watch?.......................... and don't just say neither! :P

Neither 

41 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Reality check for those who can admit it?

that was not Celtic's first choice team last night, and by all accounts Airdrie gave them a better game than we did. Didn't expect us to win, or even be close really. But the tactical naivety that Oran continually displays is frightening. That was the weirdest starting line up I've seen, and as soon as we needed a sub we are bringing on players who apparently have no place at the club?

its all well and good shipping out 15-16 players to save money, and try and recruit quality, if you can recruit it? Our new goalie, centre back and midfielder have been part of a team that's shipped six in two games, and we have nothing on the bench to worry them about being dropped.

can only assume that Anton is injured, and was never going to play last night or Saturday? Which begs the bleedin obvious question? Why the f**k is he taking up a squad place? Shouldnt you have someone on the bench you can bring on?

I have read, posters and even our managers comment that 'games against celtic wont define our season'. What utter pish! Does that mean Oran is up for surrendering the draw he got against them in his first game, and his comments after that?

the damage to team morale after such an inept performance will be harsh, it does matter how you lose! It also matters very much to potential targets you may be in for!

Do you think they would take more notice over a few comments on here questioning their worth, or perhaps be swayed elsewhere after seeing the level of performances their prospective teammates are capable of..?

Dundee have shown they are up for the fight, we struggled with Alloa, now an indifferent Hibs are up next, who have made some good acquisitions. This is a MUST win game for us given what follows on its heels. If Dundee pick up points on Saturday, and next week, and we dont? We will become detached at the bottom no matter what Hamilton do!

Your being a bit of a drama queen L.P.. We are in. a transition period at this moment.  I watched the game with a Celtic supporting friend he said like you - This is not the first team. I told him now you Celtic could bring out THREE DIFFERENT TEAMS all would be stronger than we could put out. Last Night was painful but we dust ourselves down now bring on Hibs.  

Watched the game on Celtic TV their commentator was making me cringe by saying Airdrie offered much more than St Mirren. We all know we would be blown away last night dust ourselves down and move onto the Hibs game. 

They were also wanting our players booked at every foul, total bias bigoted b*strads.

What about when it comes to beating Hearts , Hibs the St Johnstone's ?  We need to win every game we can not just beat the teams around us.

Think he was also meaning those teams too. Time will only tell. Come end of the season we’ll be where we deserve to be [emoji6]

8 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Your being a bit of a drama queen L.P.. We are in. a transition period at this moment.  I watched the game with a Celtic supporting friend he said like you - This is not the first team. I told him now you Celtic could bring out THREE DIFFERENT TEAMS all would be stronger than we could put out. Last Night was painful but we dust ourselves down now bring on Hibs.  

Ahhh its a transition period?

like from pish, to crap?

you then contradict yourself by then saying 'celtic could bring out three different teams, all would be stronger than we could put out' so are we transition, or as you state unable to deal with celtic u21's..?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ahhh its a transition period?

like from pish, to crap?

you then contradict yourself by then saying 'celtic could bring out three different teams, all would be stronger than we could put out' so are we transition, or as you state unable to deal with celtic u21's..?

We are trying to build a new team 4 new  players in plus 3 more paper work completed now waiting on the parent clubs. That's potentially 7 new players in total. That is transitional in most people's book if not yours.. As for the last bit I'm not going to debate how many good players Celtic have vacuumed up or that they are a club who can spend 4 million pounds in disco bloody lights. 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We are trying to build a new team 4 new  players in plus 3 more paper work completed now waiting on the parent clubs. That's potentially 7 new players in total. That is transitional in most people's book if not yours.. As for the last bit I'm not going to debate how many good players Celtic have vacuumed up or that they are a club who can spend 4 million pounds in disco bloody lights. 

Five in.

you cant complete paper work until someone signs! Christ surely every saints fan knows this by now?

7 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Did I not write it is now in the hands of the parent club. Of course a signature is needed . 

So not materially completed then.

have to laugh at your drama queen comment considering you flip from bestowing the highest praise possible on the team, to first in line to push them under a bus... sometimes on the same day!

38 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So not materially completed then.

have to laugh at your drama queen comment considering you flip from bestowing the highest praise possible on the team, to first in line to push them under a bus... sometimes on the same day!

Are you reading a different forum , seriously?