Saint Mirren v Alloa Scottish Cup January 2019

St.Ricky

The dawn of a new era.

A new team, a new philosophy, a new beginning. A time to join together put our forum squabbles behind and unite to succeed.

Maybe next week. This week I'm ditching ma buds in the west stand and heading elsewhere.

I'll be in the main stand with my St Mirren tie, drinking too much.

St Mirren for the cup. I'll drink to that.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

An awful lot of worried people today for some strange reason.

We should be hammering a team like this.

Get f**king stuck in.

And their new signing can't play due to your gentleman's agreement plus according to Alloa fans on PnB another regular in Flanagan won't play as he has a wedding to attend, that's what we are up against ! You are 100% right but we have seen this movie a good few times over the decades.

I saw Alloa last week, good footballing team, if anything they created problems for them self by trying to overplay and getting caught but in the second half they were miles better than Morton and totally deserved the win. You couldnt tell that they were a part time team. 

Will be a tough match, we should be better than them but if we don’t start we’ll it could be a long day. 

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

And their new signing can't play due to your gentleman's agreement plus according to Alloa fans on PnB another regular in Flanagan won't play as he has a wedding to attend, that's what we are up against ! You are 100% right but we have seen this movie a good few times over the decades.

The Magic of the Cup! 

I'm off the bevy, and cutting out meat for a while - so should be miserable.

However, I'm looking forward to seeing the new buds in action - got a very positive feeling about the end of the season to come.

Me and boy will be there cheering on the Saints to victory and a good run in the cup

1 hour ago, DumboBud said:

I saw Alloa last week, good footballing team, if anything they created problems for them self by trying to overplay and getting caught but in the second half they were miles better than Morton and totally deserved the win. You couldnt tell that they were a part time team. 

Will be a tough match, we should be better than them but if we don’t start we’ll it could be a long day. 

A good summary Dumbo. Also saw them. In both games they tried too hard to play one touch football in the first half and lost goals. In both they had a better second half. They passed the ball back often to their big experienced number five who then restarted play. In each of the two games they scored two goals in each of the second half periods (one own goal in each). A fast start against them seems to be needed.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

An awful lot of worried people today for some strange reason.

We should be hammering a team like this.

Get f**king stuck in.

OAKY you are spot on. We've got 4 or 5 new guys effectively making their debut - you think they will want to impress???

Guys Like Popescu and Tansey  will romp it against this kind of opposition, the goalie should have a fairly quiet time and the attack and midfield should be pounding their goals.

Jackson, Lyons and Tansey all with a goal apiece …  3    v   0

Looks Like Baird and Popescu are playing - not sure if Ferdinand is playing in a 3 man CB set up or not though . . . 

8 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

OAKY you are spot on. We've got 4 or 5 new guys effectively making their debut - you think they will want to impress???

Guys Like Popescu and Tansey  will romp it against this kind of opposition, the goalie should have a fairly quiet time and the attack and midfield should be pounding their goals.

Jackson, Lyons and Tansey all with a goal apiece …  3    v   0

Looks Like Baird and Popescu are playing - not sure if Ferdinand is playing in a 3 man CB set up or not though . . . 

I admire your confidence and see the point about new guys wanting to impress.  But.......It is the cup. Were I the manager though the team talk might resemble those attributed to Shankly where he rubbished each player in the opposition team. Set up might / will change throughout the game. Alloa lose first half goals so a fast Starr would be good.

6 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I admire your confidence and see the point about new guys wanting to impress.  But.......It is the cup. Were I the manager though the team talk might resemble those attributed to Shankly where he rubbished each player in the opposition team. Set up might / will change throughout the game. Alloa lose first half goals so a fast Starr would be good.

If we cannot be up for this, at home, with the excitement that we have brought in new and better players, I would be stunned.

Yes it is the cup. Yes our team won't have played that much together yet. But Alloa are a level and a bit below us - that is the reality.

Agree that getting off to the right start is very important though. We don't just want to be up on possession etc. we want to be goals up by half time...

Edited by Sweeper07
repeat word removed

5 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

If we cannot be up for this, at home, with the excitement that we have brought in new and better players, I would be stunned.

Yes it is the cup. Yes our team won't have played that much together yet. But Alloa are a level and a bit below us - that is the reality.

Agree that getting off to the right start is very important though. We don't just want to be up on possession etc. we want to be goals up by half time...

The essence of the matter. I like the idea of a 3 goal lead at half time as I have watched our opponents score twice in each of their last two games. But......We have better players, we have had a break, we are at home.....COYS

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

The essence of the matter. I like the idea of a 3 goal lead at half time as I have watched our opponents score twice in each of their last two games. But......We have better players, we have had a break, we are at home.....COYS

The games you have watched them in recently shows that they play well together and give their all. Guys Like Trouten have been about for yonks and he is now 33 - but he is at the highest level he has ever been - so big plus on experience and averaging 1 goal every 3 games. I am not so sure he is that fast or sharp for this level - really hope we don't make him or any of their others look good...

Fitness wise we should be on top for most of the 90 minutes .. . .. .    C  O  Y   S indeed

Tough one today IMO. More confident about our own team as we’ve now added some new players in. As far as part time teams go Alloa are the best in Scotland atm, and they’ve spent all season taking on bigger teams and holding their own. And knowing Goody he will have them fired right up for this. Hopefully our new additions will prove to do well and get us safely into the next round. COYS!

2 hours ago, southsidebud said:

I'm off the bevy, and cutting out meat for a while - so should be miserable.

However, I'm looking forward to seeing the new buds in action - got a very positive feeling about the end of the season to come.

Me and boy will be there cheering on the Saints to victory and a good run in the cup

Why do humans put themselves through this sort of pain. :lol:

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

That's because our players keep turning up to these matches in the wrong mindset IMO.

2 minutes ago, southsidebud said:
15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
Why do humans put themselves through this sort of pain. emoji38.png

Got to kid myself on I'm getting healthier Oaksoft - it's that time of year.

Roll on February eh? Roll. Sausage roll. Tender and crisp. Juicy on the inside. Bit of sauce. Brown or red......back in a minute I need to get the oven on.....