Saint Mirren v Alloa Scottish Cup January 2019

St.Ricky

Going to be a very happy dressing room and just possible that the manner of the win might be the kick start for this team to come together as a group.
Hope Brad Lyons is buying the rest of the guys a drink tonight. They dug him out a hole.
But he'll learn from this. Don't think he'll get another red this season.

Travesty of a result today - we did not deserve even a draw.

I felt sorry for Jim Goodwin and his team. They outplayed us even when we had 11 on the park. But they did lose their sharpness, shape and concentration in the last 10 minutes.

We are powder puff up front and that must be the priority area for strengthening before the January window closes.

Ironically I thought Brad Lyons was one of our better performers until he got sent off - but at the same time I am not convinced that the referee got both yellow card decisions wrong.

In fact all our January signings played well - so there is still hope for a revival.

5 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Travesty of a result today - we did not deserve even a draw.

I felt sorry for Jim Goodwin and his team. They outplayed us even when we had 11 on the park. But they did lose their sharpness, shape and concentration in the last 10 minutes.

Couldn't honestly care less about how Alloa or Jim Goodwin feel right now. They couldn't beat us with a 2-0 start and a man advantage with 22 minutes left. History never remembers performances. Only results matter.

At this stage after our battering in the first half of the season we should be focussing on how much a win like this can have on our players morale. We really shouldn't be thinking of anyone else IMO.

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Couldn't honestly care less about how Alloa or Jim Goodwin feel right now. They couldn't beat us with a 2-0 start and a man advantage with 22 minutes left. History never remembers performances. Only results matter.

At this stage after our battering in the first half of the season we should be focussing on how much a win like this can have on our players morale. We really shouldn't be thinking of anyone else IMO.

On the other hand, our performances will have to improve significantly if we are to avoid automatic relegation.

We cannot rely on jammy results like this to carry us through to survival in the Scottish Premiership.

Yes there was plenty of effort in the second half but the quality was sadly lacking.

If someone told me at HT that we were going to win I'd have got them a 1 way ticket to Dykebar.:lol:

As much as I love Jim Goodwin it was a wonderful sight to see him on his knees with head in hands at the 3rd goal.

And to all the Saints Fans(?) who left early........GIRFUY :clapping

On the other hand, our performances will have to improve significantly if we are to avoid automatic relegation. We cannot rely on jammy results like this to carry us through to survival in the Scottish Premiership.

Yes there was plenty of effort in the second half but the quality was sadly lacking.

I don’t understand a post like this.

We were pish in the first half and were rightly behind. Not sure 0-2 was a fair reflection but that’s what the scoreboard said after 45 mins.

2nd half was different gravy. We moved the ball much quicker and didn’t allow Alloa to settle into their shape when they lost possession. We scored three goals and you’ll be hard pressed to see two better passes thanks McGinn’s to set both up and the finish for the 3rd was sublime. There’s your quality right there. How is that “jammy”?

Add to that young Lyons showed flashes in his cameo, the keeper looked rock solid and Popescu was superb.

With, at least, another 3 to come in there is definitely cause for cautious optimism. I’d certainly rather be in our shoes tonight than the fans of ‘Well, Accies and Dundee.

I think a mention for Cody Cooke is due, chased a shot into the box, got the rebound and started the fight back.

Really pleased for the lad, some decent hold up play too. Can see why Oran been has been looking at a target man.

Maybe young Cody in the longer term.

I think a mention for Cody Cooke is due, chased a shot into the box, got the rebound and started the fight back.
Really pleased for the lad, some decent hold up play too. Can see why Oran been has been looking at a target man.
Maybe young Cody in the longer term.

He certainly helped us turn the game around today. I’m not sure he’s seen as the answer though if the rumours about other strikers are to be believed.

8 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I don’t understand a post like this.

We were pish in the first half and were rightly behind. Not sure 0-2 was a fair reflection but that’s what the scoreboard said after 45 mins.

2nd half was different gravy. We moved the ball much quicker and didn’t allow Alloa to settle into their shape when they lost possession. We scored three goals and you’ll be hard pressed to see two better passes thanks McGinn’s to set both up and the finish for the 3rd was sublime. There’s your quality right there. How is that “jammy”?

Add to that young Lyons showed flashes in his cameo, the keeper looked rock solid and Popescu was superb.

With, at least, another 3 to come in there is definitely cause for cautious optimism. I’d certainly rather be in our shoes tonight than the fans of ‘Well, Accies and Dundee.

I agree with your 4th & 5th paragraphs plus we have Magennis to come back into the picture.

However, I was not the only one in the south stand today who thought we were more than just a little bit fortunate based on our overall performance.

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

And their new signing can't play due to your gentleman's agreement plus according to Alloa fans on PnB another regular in Flanagan won't play as he has a wedding to attend, that's what we are up against ! You are 100% right but we have seen this movie a good few times over the decades.

Just shows you that old movies are shite. Piece of piss, never in doubt, oh when the Saints go up to lift the Scottish Cup I'll be there.....