Saint Mirren v Alloa Scottish Cup January 2019

St.Ricky

38 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

On the other hand, our performances will have to improve significantly if we are to avoid automatic relegation.

We cannot rely on jammy results like this to carry us through to survival in the Scottish Premiership.

Yes there was plenty of effort in the second half but the quality was sadly lacking.

We battered them second half and they wilted. Given it was 10 v 11 and we were 2 down there is only one side deserving any praise and it ain't Goodwins. Christ I despair at times !

Despite the comeback it's reasonable to have concerns about left back, who plays on one of the wings, how static our midfield two pairing were at times today, and an all round lack of pace in the team.

It felt that any balls in behind the midfield just weren't tracked. Thankfully Alloa just refused to put the ball into the channels in behind us the entire second half, as we struggled with one on one foot races.

The new signings all performed well, and hopefully they continue to hit the ground running. At times Tansey and McAllister did look a bit short of match fitness, thankfully the latter's quality shone through.

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

We battered them second half and they wilted. Given it was 10 v 11 and we were 2 down there is only one side deserving any praise and it ain't Goodwins. Christ I despair at times !

We did indeed. They did.  We won.  Great game to be at..  Exciting stuff. 

Alloa deserved all they got today as they threw it away. Totally in control and 2-0 up against 10 men they sat back and eventually lost the game. Their own fault.

I thought Hladky was very good, Popescu was good, Lyons was looking very good for the short time he was on and McAllister was also very good. Tansey was poor but hasn't played for a long time. The guys who let us down were guys who have been there this season. Flynn and Jackson in particular.  I believe there is a chance of possibly another 4 to come in. I hope that includes replacements for those two.

48 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

On the other hand, our performances will have to improve significantly if we are to avoid automatic relegation.

We cannot rely on jammy results like this to carry us through to survival in the Scottish Premiership.

Yes there was plenty of effort in the second half but the quality was sadly lacking.

New pkayers settling in plus a bit rusty after winter break whereas Alloa have been playing while we were not. A bit harsh as we came from 2 down with 10 men for 62 minutes. Btw, what happened to Aberdeen, Dundee, Motherwell against Championship teams? Look what happened to Ayr. It's the cup, a one off and all the pressure was on Saints today. Ps we won.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

It was today’s left back and winger who won us the game today!

Aye, Kyle McAllister, not fit enough, not played enough games.

:lol:

Oh the forum bore returns.

I have you on ignore but somehow I knew you’d be following me around the forum like a saddo. I merely asked the question about Kyle, with all due respect it was part time opposition today. League action will be a better gauge of all our recruits.

Back to staring at pictures of Allan Stubbs you go!

ETA: Teams can have more than one winger and more than one player capable of playing left back you utter buffoon

Edited by W6Saint

Very strange game and emotional rollercoaster today. Overall impressed by new signings, thought Lyon was sending off a bit harsh, first hour we were too pedestrian as new players attempted to gel with team. Felt early on hodson should switch to left back with Paul mcginn dropping to right back as Ethan was exposed and getting bums rush. Two poor goals to lose as we stood off Alloa. Up until we scored felt totally underwhelmed by second half as we looked to almost settled to not losing by more. However, as Alloa tired and the goal brought some confidence the euphoric last five minutes made my day. Lots to work on, league still going to be major challenge but l believe we can stay up. Get a left back and striker and given how others in bottom four performed today we can do it.

Dismal first half performance but not as dismal as the referee. Absolutely honking clear elbow in the face and the ALLOA player gets only a yellow. Yet Lyons was sent off for God knows what. But good 2nd half. But we needed that wee bit of luck with our 1st goal to get us going. But after that we played some good stuff 2nd goal was good 3rd was outstanding. New goalie look confident. Lyons looked good for the short time he was on. Popescu played well. McAllister we know how good he is. And someone on here said he is a risk. Lol. Good one. Bairdy MOM for me. But McAllister will get all the plaudits.

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

Oh absolutely agree with you on that but our turnaround has to start somewhere.

Edited by oaksoft

I have to say, I didn't see that result coming at HT. Alloa deserved to be ahead and could possibly have been out of sight before we kicked on. No one around me thought the yellow card that culminated in Lyons being sent off was given to him. We all thought it was the Alloa player who was being punished. Looked a shocking decision. The introduction of Kyle made a massive difference and the players deserve full credit for their tenacity and persistence. I thought 4 out of the 5 new lads looked OK. Tansey was the only one that I felt disappointed. Good to see Cooke get off the mark. Young Erhahon too. McAllister's goal was a peach. I hope Tansey is just getting up to speed. All in all an exhilarating day out and a welcome change to be strong enough to come back from 2 down while outnumbered by the opposition. In spite of poor refereeing. No wonder these whistler get it in the neck. They're Fn useless!

ETA. It was also a plus that Dundee have an extra game to play and Hamilton and Motherwell didn't get the chance of a cup bounce. (Although I suppose we also have at least one extra game to play than the latter 2, for the right reasons).

Edited by stlucifer

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

While you have a very valid point here, might I point out that the quality of support from supporters was 'in some cases' equally lacking.  Well done Oran and the lads.

Well that was great! First twenty minutes we looked very good and impressed with Lyon., We could easily have been two up. Alloa no mugs score a good goal, and then Lyon is sent of harshly. After that Alloa score a good second and look in control.  Some positives, but leaving at half time certainly crossed my mind. Must say we were a shambles and I was worried Alloa might make the score embarrasing

Second half was a bit different, initially we dug in and started to actually look like a team. When Cook scored, that was a big load of the team. Well done big man! Watch him rip up the division now :lol:. I fully expected that to be it. And started listing the positives. Two centre halfs and goalie played well, Lyons looks like he could be a player and the team showed a lot of charecter to dig in. No harm to Ethan (love the boy) but he;'s not a left back for all he dug in and started to win the battle down that side. Was not too down. Thought that if we get the Czek pair then we could have a decent team. Never expected us to dig it out. Delighted for Ethan to get his first goal. Not a left back, but has a big future.

To come back to win it was massive. What a lift for the players,. Not only did they put in a shift but they got the reward too. McAllisters quality was a bonus. I'm not sure he had a great game, but he showed for the ball all the time and was happy to carry it and take a man on, and generally had the beating of his man and found a team mate. Certainly had an end product.

Over all delighted and for all the "it was only Alloa, we were lucky" nobs let me just say :double

45 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I agree with your 4th & 5th paragraphs plus we have Magennis to come back into the picture.

However, I was not the only one in the south stand today who thought we were more than just a little bit fortunate based on our overall performance.

We earned that result today, by working our arses off in the second half.

Alloa had chances to kill off the game in the first half. They didn't take them.

We played better in the second half and took our chances when they came.

Cooke turned poacher for the first, and our other two goals were really well worked, particularly the third.

Don't think Hladky had a save to make in the second half, other than to gather some misplaced through balls.

Nothing lucky about it IMO.

Tansey apart, I thought all our new signings showed some promise, as did Cooke.

A fair bit away from a team that will avoid relegation, but hopefully we can sign the missing pieces before the transfer window closes.

Also, today's game was worth every penny of whatever I paid for it.

Glad I was there to see it.

Unexpectedly attended the game today as I had to come up the road this week due to my wee mammy sadly passing away. 

What a tonic that was!!

Of course there’s an argument that it was disgraceful we found ourselves 0-2 down in the first place, but you have to give the team a lot of credit for that comeback. Showed real character. 

I commented to my brother in law when Kearney swapped Flynn for Cooke that it was a bold move, but it really paid off. I thought Cooke did very well. 

Special praise for big Popescu who looks a real find. He won everything in the air. The keeper also looked very composed. 

McAllister lifted us again when he came on. Looked very sharp.

S McGinn had a bit of a stinker for the most part today and Erhahon is never a left back. He got done several times today by their right winger.

All in all though, a great end to really shit week. 

Thank you Saints! :thumbs2

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Fair few on here saying Lyons’ red card was harsh.

I haven’t seen it yet, but if he has dived in an attempt to win a free kick/pen, then the referee has no option. If he was taken down then it’s an unfortunate mistake from the ref, but he has to act and if he suspects a dive then Lyons’ had to go. 

If he was stupid enough to dive while already on a yellow then it’s his own fault and there’s nothing harsh about it. I will try catch the highlights tonight and hope I’m wrong!