Saint Mirren v Alloa Scottish Cup January 2019

St.Ricky

2 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Fair few on here saying Lyons’ red card was harsh.

I haven’t seen it yet, but if he has dived in an attempt to win a free kick/pen, then the referee has no option. If he was taken down then it’s an unfortunate mistake from the ref, but he has to act and if he suspects a dive then Lyons’ had to go. 

If he was stupid enough to dive while already on a yellow then it’s his own fault and there’s nothing harsh about it. I will try catch the highlights tonight and hope I’m wrong!

"Suspects", my arse!

He has to 100% certain.

We'll see on TV tonight.

If , as you say, there's no contact, then he most likely deserved to go.

Edited by FTOF

Travesty of a result today - we did not deserve even a draw.
I felt sorry for Jim Goodwin and his team.

I love jim and respect what he has his team doing but there is no way I pity him or them. And I doubt he would want your pity.

If you want to pity anyone think of our young player who the ref f**ked over...

Well done saints. Young Kyle looked the part. Emotional roller coaster.

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

"Suspects", my arse!

He has to 100% certain.

We'll see on TV tonight.

If , as you say, there's no contact, then he most likely deserved to go.

Can't agree. Seen 100 nothing fouls in a nothing area where someone has went looking for a free kick. Ref has just went 'get up'. He even did it on two other occasions today. One when an alloa player dived in box looking for a penalty at 2-0

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Can't agree. Seen 100 nothing fouls in a nothing area where someone has went looking for a free kick. Ref has just went 'get up'. He even did it on two other occasions today. One when an alloa player dived in box looking for a penalty at 2-0

Indeed. I've seen a lot more dives than I've seen bookings given for dives.

Seems to be totally random whether a card is shown. 

I also can't differentiate between dives where there's contact and dives where there's no contact. You either deliberately dived or you didn't.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If it's a blatant dive then he deserves to go.

If he goes down anticipating a tackle that doesn't happen, then there may be some mitigating circumstances.

In this day and age, playing for a foul is an action which can easily interpreted as an attempted dive.

As I said, hopefully the TV pics will show what happened and exonerate Lyons and show up Robertson as the fucking buffoon we've come to expect.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Alloa deserved all they got today as they threw it away. Totally in control and 2-0 up against 10 men they sat back and eventually lost the game. Their own fault.

I thought Hladky was very good, Popescu was good, Lyons was looking very good for the short time he was on and McAllister was also very good. Tansey was poor but hasn't played for a long time. The guys who let us down were guys who have been there this season. Flynn and Jackson in particular.  I believe there is a chance of possibly another 4 to come in. I hope that includes replacements for those two.

Some might disagree, but I thought Hodson had a good game. 

17 minutes ago, pod said:

Hope your not disagreeing with me. :P

Due to distance I am unable to attend games and cannot fairly assess how Hodson played today.

Then again I could pretend to have an agenda against him and just decide he’s an awful player forced upon us by the horrors at Sevco 2012 :lol:

Fair few on here saying Lyons’ red card was harsh.
I haven’t seen it yet, but if he has dived in an attempt to win a free kick/pen, then the referee has no option. If he was taken down then it’s an unfortunate mistake from the ref, but he has to act and if he suspects a dive then Lyons’ had to go. 
If he was stupid enough to dive while already on a yellow then it’s his own fault and there’s nothing harsh about it. I will try catch the highlights tonight and hope I’m wrong!
He was 30 yards out what advantage was he looking for. It was a joke. Wait till you do see it.

He was 30 yards out what advantage was he looking for. It was a joke. Wait till you do see it.
It looked like he dived from my position. It was a flop to the ground after he hit the ball bound the Alloa player.

You can just hit an uncatchable ball beyond a player then fall to the ground when you know you can catch it. It's naive play. He's young, he's learned his lesson, it didn't somehow punish us, despite him having the biggest impact on our play first half.

The first was also a yellow.

People get worked up about referees for no reason. He was fine today. But people make out he was the sole reason that we were heading out the cup, before what was an unlikely comeback considering our performance.

Only saw the match live, so haven't had the benefit of watching replays.

The sending off looked harsh, first yellow was for winning a fifty fifty ball, the Alloa defender went in just as hard as Lyon, and made a massive yell which had the ref reaching for his card. 

Second yellow, Lyon was running with the ball towards the central defender about 30 yards and put the ball past the central defender and tried to run past him, the central defender and Lyons collided and my first thought was that the defender was correctly being booked, for a body check, then to the shock of all watching a red card followed. Strange decision. 

I haven’t bothered looking through the responses so far but here’s my take.
S.McGinn . Love you to bits but you need to act like a captain, fight like a captain and lead like a captain. Today I’m afraid until the last 20 mins you didn’t . Either shape up or .... you know the rest. No passengers at this level.
Popescu and new goalie man . Excellent stuff . Keep it up guys.
Hodson and P.Mginn. Decent show but we only need one RB. A RB at right mid just won’t do.
Lyons . In name and attitude, should never have walked . Showed massive potential.
Kyle. Class. End of.
Erhahon will be a star. Of that i am sure, but he is not a LB.
Cody Cooke, well done young man, step forward and take a bow..

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

Alloa deserved all they got today as they threw it away. Totally in control and 2-0 up against 10 men they sat back and eventually lost the game. Their own fault.

I thought Hladky was very good, Popescu was good, Lyons was looking very good for the short time he was on and McAllister was also very good. Tansey was poor but hasn't played for a long time. The guys who let us down were guys who have been there this season. Flynn and Jackson in particular.  I believe there is a chance of possibly another 4 to come in. I hope that includes replacements for those two.

In fairness Jackson’s shot forced the second ball that Cooke pounced on to score (I think).

2 minutes ago, Paisleyporridge said:

In fairness Jackson’s shot forced the second ball that Cooke pounced on to score (I think).

IMO Jackson has a hard time of it.

He's a player who thrives off chances created by a second forward. Usually a target man like Grant Holt when he was at Norwich.

He's been totally isolated so far this season.

It's no surprise he played better when Cooke came on.

If it's a blatant dive then he deserves to go.
If he goes down anticipating a tackle that doesn't happen, then there may be some mitigating circumstances.
In this day and age, playing for a foul is an action which can easily interpreted as an attempted dive.
As I said, hopefully the TV pics will show what happened and exonerate Lyons and show up Robertson as the f**king buffoon we've come to expect.

From where I was it looked like contact. Maybe not a foul but the two bodies collided.

It looked like he dived from my position. It was a flop to the ground after he hit the ball bound the Alloa player.

You can just hit an uncatchable ball beyond a player then fall to the ground when you know you can catch it. It's naive play. He's young, he's learned his lesson, it didn't somehow punish us, despite him having the biggest impact on our play first half.

The first was also a yellow.

People get worked up about referees for no reason. He was fine today. But people make out he was the sole reason that we were heading out the cup, before what was an unlikely comeback considering our performance.
So you don't think Lyons collided with the alloa player? For me I don't think it was a foul against the alloa player but I don't think anyone could say either way if there was enough of a collision that he should or shouldn't go down.

The shape he went down in when he went down wasn't what you'd expect from a trip or just running into someone. It looked like a dive, not helped by the fact he couldn't get near his knock on.

It looked like a dive, some what of a Swan. I could be entirely wrong but the ref was instant with his decision. Despite what everyone around me thought he didn't have a bad game, perhaps they were too busy fawning over Goodwin.