Saint Mirren v Alloa Scottish Cup January 2019

St.Ricky

What I can’t get about Lyons second yellow was that the ref seemed to play an advantage when the ball broke to the left.
Then after play broke down,pulled back to the free kick.
If he thought dive,then stop play right away and award free kick.
For a while the ref lost the plot and let similar or worse pass off without interfering.

IMO Jackson has a hard time of it.
He's a player who thrives off chances created by a second forward. Usually a target man like Grant Holt when he was at Norwich.
He's been totally isolated so far this season.
It's no surprise he played better when Cooke came on.

Personally I think the improvement from every player in an attacking sense is when Kyle came on that attacking minded player willing to take people on play 1 2s and look to try create something made all the difference.

Any striker would struggle with the line up and formation we started with which just got a lot worse with Lyons getting sent off.

Got to love the 4th round of the Cup.

Great fightback from the Saints, Junior side putting out a Championship title challenger, Stenhousemuir getting a draw away at Aberdeen, Morton pumped by a lower league team once again!

Can't understand the Saints fans that show up for the cup!

5 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I think, safe to say, if the referee hadn't shown a card, there wouldn't be anyone anywhere bringing the incident up and saying that Lyons was lucky to stay on the park.

Totally sums up a very poor decision, I have no doubt the referee is watching the highlights desperate to be the subject of discussion, with the pundits stating he was spot on. 

26 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Never a dive clear contact from the very brief highlights it’s a absolute joke how long the Celtic v airdrie game got compared to ours 5 goals and a red card.

It is a pisstake. I know you have the dedicated games which get better highlights and the games they zoom through, and I completely agree on the Fife Derby, Ayrshire Derby getting the better viewings. Celtic was only done for the bigot fan base, no reason that couldn’t have been one of the quicker games. And for all the time it got, they didn’t show much on the bigot’s penalty which was a possible dive (would have helped to see it again too). Would certainly say our game, Well v County, Dons v Stenny or East Fife v Morton would have been better to show in a longer package than the bigots.

2 hours ago, gc_SMFC said:

The shape he went down in when he went down wasn't what you'd expect from a trip or just running into someone. It looked like a dive, not helped by the fact he couldn't get near his knock on.

It looked like a dive, some what of a Swan. I could be entirely wrong but the ref was instant with his decision. Despite what everyone around me thought he didn't have a bad game, perhaps they were too busy fawning over Goodwin.

Do you really think the ref had a good game?  Baird elbowed in the face only a yellow card?  Baird then punching the elbower in the back of the head no card, that is until nearly two minutes later after a chat with the Alloa players.  Jackson booked for throwing an arm up in frustration at a design yet an Alloa lad gets in the linesman’s face three times before being booked.  These were all incidents within the W6 area alone.  That ref gave without doubt a terrible performance, and if he was a player  he would be dropped  for weeks. 

Edited by Iamhammer

100% vindicated by my initial appraisal that if that's a dive, I'm a f**king monkey's uncle. 

Why was the Alloa player's blatant dive inside the penalty box in the second half, adjudged to be nothing more than a 'get up' from the ref and yet Lyons, in a nothing area of the park where definite contact was made, was deemed worthy of a yellow for simulation? 

Edited by djchapsticks

Hope Brad Lyons is buying the rest of the guys a drink tonight. They dug him out a hole.
But he'll learn from this. Don't think he'll get another red this season.

I was at the game plus watched the highlights of the game, never a second yellow. Lyons was running with the ball & the Alloa player stopped him dead never simulation so nothing to learn what so ever. IMO