Saint Mirren v Alloa Scottish Cup January 2019

St.Ricky

Great draw pitting our new manager against a former club ledgend in Jim Goodwin. 

I wouldn't expect anything other than a tight game. 

Looking forward to what will be our first match after the winter break if I have that right. 

COYS

Edited by St.Ricky

10 hours ago, LargsBud said:

Good draw. Was hoping for Talbot away for the novelty but I'll take a home draw to lower league opposition any day. Hope we can get a good run of favourable draws this year.

There is nothing novel about spending a day in Auchinleck. That said it's a paradise compared to the likes of Cumnock, New Cumnock or Dalmellington.  Alloa at home is just fine.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

I am sure Oran will pick our strongest team. 

Saints 6 Alloa Athletic 0

Crowd  2387

Would love for us to win the Cup at Hampden again. 

No shitey cup runs where we lose in the Semis or any other Round. 

Edited by shull

10 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

You're not suggesting stricky is telling porkies again are you?

He might sue you. :P

Most unlikely St L.  One.. I don't lie.  Two.  Who could possibly care what F Man said. 

However... Any views on the cup tie? 

Edited by St.Ricky

Here's the link I presume Ricky tried posting

Happy with this draw. Home advantage against a lower league side. I do see it as tougher than your usual part time opponent, obviously they are in the Championship, so they'll be used to playing full time sides, and probably used to being on the back foot as well. Goody will have them all fired up too. It will be tricky but we should come through it in 90 minutes.

58 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

This is definitely a banana skin we need to avoid. As OK says, we'll be playing our first game after the enforced break so it's important the players are up to speed. Goodie will really want to show what his team and tactics can do.

It will be a tough one, no doubt. Alloa are proving to be a very competent Championship team and there is a long history of Premiership teams going out on their first game back from the mini winter break. Hopefully we can bring in a player or two that will help unlock defences by this stage.

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

CUP tie or not - we should be able to beat Alloa by a few goals or something is badly wrong...

I'm a big fan of Goodie, but with the resources he has available, if he pulls off a result, then we have serious issues...

We are the big boys here and we need to show it..

I think that's unfair on Alloa. They've been playing decent Championship sides all season. As for us, we wouldn't have been setting the Championship alight based on our form over the past few months. It could well depend on our transfer activity up to that point, but Alloa can't be taken for granted. Our league winning side was only achieving 1 goal wins against Brechin - Alloa are miles better than last season's Brechin.

7 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I think that's unfair on Alloa. They've been playing decent Championship sides all season. As for us, we wouldn't have been setting the Championship alight based on our form over the past few months. It could well depend on our transfer activity up to that point, but Alloa can't be taken for granted. Our league winning side was only achieving 1 goal wins against Brechin - Alloa are miles better than last season's Brechin.

I take your points - but they are 3rd bottom and Falkirk are not much better than Brechin were, but  managed to beat Alloa this season already. 

14 League games and they have won 2 (one to a woeful Partick and there other a delightful Soap Dodgers victory), drawn 5 and lost 7

Our earlier form though surely has improved recently, and it is against clubs who are MUCH better than Championship teams too?

Are any of their players highly rated or being touted as deserving a step up to the Premiership? Any as good as Magennis or either of the McGinn's, Jackson etc. etc.

If we do not take this too much for granted, prepare well and play tactically well etc, we should win 3 or 4 to nil.

The fact we only beat Brechin by a goal every time we played them just shows how we struggled last year against teams who sat in or who were physically stronger than us...

In recent weeks we have not been so pushed about by anyone...

On 11/28/2018 at 7:17 PM, Kemp said:
On 11/28/2018 at 6:17 PM, stlucifer said:

This is definitely a banana skin we need to avoid. As OK says, we'll be playing our first game after the enforced break so it's important the players are up to speed. Goodie will really want to show what his team and tactics can do.

It will be a tough one, no doubt. Alloa are proving to be a very competent Championship team and there is a long history of Premiership teams going out on their first game back from the mini winter break. Hopefully we can bring in a player or two that will help unlock defences by this stage.

Aye ah safecracker frae Barlinnie and a locksmith frae Peterhead?  B)