Livingston v St Mirren 8 December 2018

St.Ricky

Just now, St.Ricky said:

You might try answering the question... why not. 

Ok... We can't defend, we have not ONE player of SPL quality (apart from maybe Adam Hammill), we have a goalkeeper as bad as any I've seen at St Mirren, We do not have a player who will score anywhere near 10 goals in the season, we have a group of players signed by the fud that was Alan Stubbs earning a wage training with the boys and nowhere near the first team, we have a squad of almost 30!!!! Have you had enough or do you want some more?

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You might try answering the question... why not. 

Here's some more if you're not convinced... 9 points from SEVENTEEN games. Only 12 goals scored 34!!! yeah 34 goals conceded. One win since the 5th of August. Apart from your fantasy of signing 6/8 players in January what makes you think we will get out this?

6 hours ago, Kemp said:

Samson has said he was happy to play on until January, and Jack Ross was happy to wait until then.

It's not f**king difficult to see we have a better chance of winning with Samson in goals rather than this clown. A goalkeeper is not going to single-handedly win the previous games of the season, is he?

Samson’s cult hero status clouded many’s vision on him, he certainly had his faults.

Having said that our problems run far, far deeper than our Goalkeeper, or indeed playing Ryan Edwards as you keep rattling on about in almost every post.

3 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Here's some more if you're not convinced... 9 points from SEVENTEEN games. Only 12 goals scored 34!!! yeah 34 goals conceded. One win since the 5th of August. Apart from your fantasy of signing 6/8 players in January what makes you think we will get out this?

You keep stating what we all know. I believe that the bottom 3 or 4 teams are all in the mix to finish in the bottom two.

Again, from the time JR left we have been in free fall.  We are on our 3rd Manager since April. Only 2 players were brought in by,or on the say so of JR. One P McGinn ,has done all right the other Keller man has not. We seem to agree that we then entered late into the transfer market and that the players then recruited by AS have largely not performed as hoped. Two courses of action are open...the first is to sit tight and see if any of these develop into players who might keep us up and the second is to cull the players considered not to be ready and to recruit. Challenging, but not impossible.

What gives me hope I'd that recruitment by the club,signed off by OK has seen us bring in a higher quality if player than under either JR and AS since last season ended. The board also strengthened our ability to spot talent in bringing Gus back and tasking him to do that. They have added JN as First Team Coach. These actions don't strike me as being defeatist. They strike me as putting in place the backroom team equal to the challenge of shipping out the players needed and bringing in a higher quality of player.

Will it cost money? Yes. Mistakes in business cost money. Nothing new there.

I ask you again. Other than doing nothing,what is it that you would do...other than complain?

6 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I still think we have a chance of turning it round if we stay within 5/6 points of the other teams down there till the January transfer window. I also think OK will turn out to be a good manager.

The problem, IMO, is that Hamilton & Motherwell will probably beat us in the remaining games leaving us to battle it out with Dundee.

Other teams will strengthen in January and it's looking less likely each week our manager is anything more than average.

5 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Samson’s cult hero status clouded many’s vision on him, he certainly had his faults.

Having said that our problems run far, far deeper than our Goalkeeper, or indeed playing Ryan Edwards as you keep rattling on about in almost every post.

Our problems don't actually run any deeper than that at all. Players like Rogers, Edwards (you mentioned him, not me!), McShane etc can't make up a Premier League squad. We've discussed to death the reasons we are relying on these guys, I think we can agree there are a fair number of people to blame there and that's its time to move on and look to the future.

Oran Kearney, as far as I can tell, appears to be a decent enough manager, we have a good infrastructure in place at the club, good youth system, a little money in the bank for once, and more McGinn installments to come. Kearney I think did quite well to bring in Ferdinand, Jackson and Hammill well in to the season with a closed transfer window, so I am hopeful between him & Gus we have some good targets lined up for January.

Get the deadwood out the squad and replace them with players capable of playing in the Premiership. It's a simple problem, nothing that deep. 

That all said, the Samson decision is just mind-boggling. Every point in the run-up to the transfer window is precious. We could have possibly picked one up yesterday with him between the sticks, and we are now going to face Aberdeen with a lad in goals who has never played a proper match in his life. How this situation is preferable to playing an experienced goalkeeper is beyond me.

21 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Woke up thinking yesterday was all a dream, or indeed some kind of cruel 'ShiteMare'....

full marks to Oran for getting his team to run themselves ragged for the full 45 minutes in the second half. Next time if he could get them to touch the ball, rather than watch the opposition doing it would be nice.

From OK's interview he is as disgusted at the second half performance as anyone.

6 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Show a bit of backbone, man. You're a St Mirren supporter.

The problem, IMO, is that Hamilton & Motherwell will probably beat us in the remaining games leaving us to battle it out with Dundee.
Other teams will strengthen in January and it's looking less likely each week our manager is anything more than average.

I’m not sure whether Hamilton and Motherwell will beat us because we’re inconsistent at the moment so we could produce a good performance. Add some new players into the squad in January and that might improve us and make us more consistent, it’s happened before with JR. In January I believe we have enough experience and talent on the coaching staff to find players who will be able to take on the challenge of keeping us up. If I was in the current squad of players I’d be fighting for every ball in every game because bar a few players they’re all playing for their futures.

I have more confidence in OK’s ability than Alan Stubbs and his path could be very similar to Jack Ross’s when he took over at the club. I believe that we’ll need to be patient and be prepared for a scrap this season to stay up but I think given time we’ll see that he is a good manager.

To me, this is the worrying statistic.

Over the last 9 games; 10 points lost after being in a winning position, 0 points gained after being in a losing position.

Yeah there’s something very wrong at the football club. It’s easy saying the players are rubbish, which they are mostly, but they are good enough to be repeatedly getting themselves into winning positions.

We were ahead against Dundee, Hibs (twice) and Livi and we ended up with 2 points from those 3 games.

We are clearly incapable of managing a football game once we go ahead. The fault for this lies with senior pros and the manager, both are clearly a bit naive when it comes to seeing games out at this level.

With Hammil almost certain to get a better offer elsewhere, and big Anton seemingly suffering with a recurring injury we might be lighter than we hoped for come January. Regardless of who gets let go, or paid off i think we could be in a worse position squad wise?

in the championship it was relatively easy to splash the cash and buy ourselves out of trouble in the January sales, but clubs in the premiership just dont turn over that number of players in January because there are so much fewer good players available as contracts mainly run for a season. And lets face it, we wont be many players first choice!

FIRST TEAM

Hodson - Ferdinand - Jones

Magennis - Hammill

Jackson

SQUAD PLAYERS

S McGinn, Erahon, P McGinn, Mullen

This is the players I think are good enough and have shown some kind of quality so far this season. 10 players of our oversized squad is not a great return, Cody Cooke might squeeze his way in and at the very least has shown a positive attitude along with Alfie Jones.

If we are to survive we need a monumental clear out, with at least 4 or 5 quality signings. Then it will be fingers crossed for a quick integration and no more injuries.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Show a bit of backbone, man. You're a St Mirren supporter.

1 hour ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Over the last 9 games; 10 points lost after being in a winning position, 0 points gained after being in a losing position.

...and it's the supporters who have to show backbone!?:whistle

11 hours ago, alshboy said:

It is evidently clear that OK is not up to the job he should be relieved of his duties forthwith. January transfer window really?? I wouldn't allow him any more time to make an even bigger mess of things than he's doing at present. As ever the predictable board would place Great Uncle Gus in charge until the end of the season with negative football the norm. Better get the Cineworld passes out folks looks like that'll be the place to spend Saturday afternoon's very soon as Gus has previously told us, I mean Livi, a team with a lesser budget and players who are in the main championship level are now 16 points ahead of us and have NO CHANCE OF BEING RELEGATED have taken 6 points from us so far. The board really have some explaining to do with  this disastrous appointment. 

You are an imbecile.

I believe the last league game in which we took at least a point after being behind was when we beat Queen of the South just before Christmas last year.

It's a worrying run, although in fairness there were few games in the second half of last season when we were behind.

11 hours ago, alshboy said:

It is evidently clear that OK is not up to the job he should be relieved of his duties forthwith. January transfer window really?? I wouldn't allow him any more time to make an even bigger mess of things than he's doing at present. As ever the predictable board would place Great Uncle Gus in charge until the end of the season with negative football the norm. Better get the Cineworld passes out folks looks like that'll be the place to spend Saturday afternoon's very soon as Gus has previously told us, I mean Livi, a team with a lesser budget and players who are in the main championship level are now 16 points ahead of us and have NO CHANCE OF BEING RELEGATED have taken 6 points from us so far. The board really have some explaining to do with  this disastrous appointment. 

Why don't we just get a new manager every six weeks :blink:.                                                                                                                                                   Hard result to swallow our midfield is a problem area we have known that all this season. Why oh why are high balls being knocked up front ?  We are all going on about the January window I'm sure Oran said three players will be brought in. Don't think that will be enough. If I was to bet it would not be to stay in this league. Shame just when TV money is going to make a massive difference.  

48 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

With Hammil almost certain to get a better offer elsewhere, and big Anton seemingly suffering with a recurring injury we might be lighter than we hoped for come January. Regardless of who gets let go, or paid off i think we could be in a worse position squad wise?

in the championship it was relatively easy to splash the cash and buy ourselves out of trouble in the January sales, but clubs in the premiership just dont turn over that number of players in January because there are so much fewer good players available as contracts mainly run for a season. And lets face it, we wont be many players first choice!

Anton is going back down south in January.