St.Ricky

Livingston v St Mirren 8 December 2018

So if we do stay within 5/6 points by January what makes you think we can turn it round?

I rate those in charge at the club, from the BOD right down to the youth coaches. I think OK is an intelligent man and will prove to be a good manager. I think he will bring in the right kind of player in January. I fully expect there will be plenty who don’t share this view, that’s up to them.

3 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I rate those in charge at the club, from the BOD right down to the youth coaches. I think OK is an intelligent man and will prove to be a good manager. I think he will bring in the right kind of player in January. I fully expect there will be plenty who don’t share this view, that’s up to them.

I really hope you are right but the Stubbs appointment and his signings who are training with the boys while picking up first team wages and 9 points from 17 games would suggest otherwise.

Getting a bit sick of watching teams basically run over the top of us - we are woefully short in midfield and while we did manage to compete in the first half, the capitulation after the break wasn’t acceptable. We now need to stagger to the January window where we will need to hope that we can get some quality in. However I fear that the damage has already been done ........... we looked a poor championship side today.

I really hope you are right but the Stubbs appointment and his signings who are training with the boys while picking up first team wages and 9 points from 17 games would suggest otherwise.

I don’t think many could have predicted just how shite Stubbs was going to be, including the board. Ok, he was crap at Rotherham but lots of managers have recovered from bad experiences to turn out decent, unfortunately we picked one who wasn’t. Our new coaching team haven’t had a transfer window yet and I think they’ll need at least 2 to clear up the Stubbs mess. Nonetheless, I believe that we’ll bring in enough in January to be at least more competitive.

18 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Sure have at games home and away. 

So to return tothequestiin,  why not? 

If you have been to games home and away and do not know then you are a bigger fool than I thought you were! And that takes some doing! 

1 minute ago, Mr Optimistic said:

If you have been to games home and away and do not know then you are a bigger fool than I thought you were! And that takes some doing! 

You might try answering the question... why not. 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Ok... We can't defend, we have not ONE player of SPL quality (apart from maybe Adam Hammill), we have a goalkeeper as bad as any I've seen at St Mirren, We do not have a player who will score anywhere near 10 goals in the season, we have a group of players signed by the fud that was Alan Stubbs earning a wage training with the boys and nowhere near the first team, we have a squad of almost 30!!!! Have you had enough or do you want some more?

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Here's some more if you're not convinced... 9 points from SEVENTEEN games. Only 12 goals scored 34!!! yeah 34 goals conceded. One win since the 5th of August. Apart from your fantasy of signing 6/8 players in January what makes you think we will get out this?

6 hours ago, Kemp said:

Samson has said he was happy to play on until January, and Jack Ross was happy to wait until then.

It's not f**king difficult to see we have a better chance of winning with Samson in goals rather than this clown. A goalkeeper is not going to single-handedly win the previous games of the season, is he?

Samson’s cult hero status clouded many’s vision on him, he certainly had his faults.

Having said that our problems run far, far deeper than our Goalkeeper, or indeed playing Ryan Edwards as you keep rattling on about in almost every post.

3 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Here's some more if you're not convinced... 9 points from SEVENTEEN games. Only 12 goals scored 34!!! yeah 34 goals conceded. One win since the 5th of August. Apart from your fantasy of signing 6/8 players in January what makes you think we will get out this?

You keep stating what we all know. I believe that the bottom 3 or 4 teams are all in the mix to finish in the bottom two.

Again, from the time JR left we have been in free fall.  We are on our 3rd Manager since April. Only 2 players were brought in by,or on the say so of JR. One P McGinn ,has done all right the other Keller man has not. We seem to agree that we then entered late into the transfer market and that the players then recruited by AS have largely not performed as hoped. Two courses of action are open...the first is to sit tight and see if any of these develop into players who might keep us up and the second is to cull the players considered not to be ready and to recruit. Challenging, but not impossible.

What gives me hope I'd that recruitment by the club,signed off by OK has seen us bring in a higher quality if player than under either JR and AS since last season ended. The board also strengthened our ability to spot talent in bringing Gus back and tasking him to do that. They have added JN as First Team Coach. These actions don't strike me as being defeatist. They strike me as putting in place the backroom team equal to the challenge of shipping out the players needed and bringing in a higher quality of player.

Will it cost money? Yes. Mistakes in business cost money. Nothing new there.

I ask you again. Other than doing nothing,what is it that you would do...other than complain?

6 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I still think we have a chance of turning it round if we stay within 5/6 points of the other teams down there till the January transfer window. I also think OK will turn out to be a good manager.

The problem, IMO, is that Hamilton & Motherwell will probably beat us in the remaining games leaving us to battle it out with Dundee.

Other teams will strengthen in January and it's looking less likely each week our manager is anything more than average.

Woke up thinking yesterday was all a dream, or indeed some kind of cruel 'ShiteMare'....

full marks to Oran for getting his team to run themselves ragged for the full 45 minutes in the second half. Next time if he could get them to touch the ball, rather than watch the opposition doing it would be nice.

5 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Samson’s cult hero status clouded many’s vision on him, he certainly had his faults.

Having said that our problems run far, far deeper than our Goalkeeper, or indeed playing Ryan Edwards as you keep rattling on about in almost every post.

Our problems don't actually run any deeper than that at all. Players like Rogers, Edwards (you mentioned him, not me!), McShane etc can't make up a Premier League squad. We've discussed to death the reasons we are relying on these guys, I think we can agree there are a fair number of people to blame there and that's its time to move on and look to the future.

Oran Kearney, as far as I can tell, appears to be a decent enough manager, we have a good infrastructure in place at the club, good youth system, a little money in the bank for once, and more McGinn installments to come. Kearney I think did quite well to bring in Ferdinand, Jackson and Hammill well in to the season with a closed transfer window, so I am hopeful between him & Gus we have some good targets lined up for January.

Get the deadwood out the squad and replace them with players capable of playing in the Premiership. It's a simple problem, nothing that deep. 

That all said, the Samson decision is just mind-boggling. Every point in the run-up to the transfer window is precious. We could have possibly picked one up yesterday with him between the sticks, and we are now going to face Aberdeen with a lad in goals who has never played a proper match in his life. How this situation is preferable to playing an experienced goalkeeper is beyond me.

21 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Woke up thinking yesterday was all a dream, or indeed some kind of cruel 'ShiteMare'....

full marks to Oran for getting his team to run themselves ragged for the full 45 minutes in the second half. Next time if he could get them to touch the ball, rather than watch the opposition doing it would be nice.

From OK's interview he is as disgusted at the second half performance as anyone.

6 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Show a bit of backbone, man. You're a St Mirren supporter.

The problem, IMO, is that Hamilton & Motherwell will probably beat us in the remaining games leaving us to battle it out with Dundee.
Other teams will strengthen in January and it's looking less likely each week our manager is anything more than average.

I’m not sure whether Hamilton and Motherwell will beat us because we’re inconsistent at the moment so we could produce a good performance. Add some new players into the squad in January and that might improve us and make us more consistent, it’s happened before with JR. In January I believe we have enough experience and talent on the coaching staff to find players who will be able to take on the challenge of keeping us up. If I was in the current squad of players I’d be fighting for every ball in every game because bar a few players they’re all playing for their futures.

I have more confidence in OK’s ability than Alan Stubbs and his path could be very similar to Jack Ross’s when he took over at the club. I believe that we’ll need to be patient and be prepared for a scrap this season to stay up but I think given time we’ll see that he is a good manager.

To me, this is the worrying statistic.

Over the last 9 games; 10 points lost after being in a winning position, 0 points gained after being in a losing position.

Yeah there’s something very wrong at the football club. It’s easy saying the players are rubbish, which they are mostly, but they are good enough to be repeatedly getting themselves into winning positions.

We were ahead against Dundee, Hibs (twice) and Livi and we ended up with 2 points from those 3 games.

We are clearly incapable of managing a football game once we go ahead. The fault for this lies with senior pros and the manager, both are clearly a bit naive when it comes to seeing games out at this level.