For Once I agree with Mike Ashley

The Original 59er

Aye , l don't see how Neil Young had anything to apologise for or indeed , if he ever did. .
I always thought the Lynard Skynard number was in direct response to "Southern Man " rather than "Alabama ". .

It was, snlt, and 'Alabama' was in response to 'Sweet Home Alabama.'

1 minute ago, salmonbuddie said:

It was, snlt, and 'Alabama' was in response to 'Sweet Home Alabama.'

Yeah , those rednecks got away with far too much . Neil was almost as politically outspoken as Paul . Neil's 'Ohio' was another great song and that one got a decent cover version from Paul . .

Yeah , those rednecks got away with far too much . Neil was almost as politically outspoken as Paul . Neil's 'Ohio' was another great song and that one got a decent cover version from Paul . .
That's one of my favourite Neil Young songs and the first one I remember hearing in 1971 (?), stuck with me all these years. I still love thrashing it out on my accoustic, Southern Man, too.

3 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:
12 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

That's one of my favourite Neil Young songs and the first one I remember hearing in 1971 (?), stuck with me all these years. I still love thrashing it out on my accoustic, Southern Man, too.

It's a very powerful song SB , l'm not as certain on the date l first heard it but like you it's the first Neil Young song l remember hearing and somehow it is just as poignant now as it was then . .it also seems to concern rednecks again too  . .