O2 Network down - Disaster?

faraway saint

The O2 network was down for approx 24 hours yesterday and has highlighted the dependency on mobile phones for many. 

Not only phones but bus timetable services and business were having trouble.

If not only mobile data was effected but all internet the chaos would be immeasurable as there's so many things we depend on through various devices. 

Are we leaving ourselves open to world meltdown being so dependant on internet? 

It would be ok if it was focused on the Stirling area right enough. 

Edited by faraway saint

24 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Take satlights out the world would come to a complete stop everything you can think of would shut down. No wonder the US has started a new Milatry wing separate from all other Milatry department's  Space Force. 

In this case it was nothing as serious as a satellite, a software problem.

41 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Take satlights out the world would come to a complete stop everything you can think of would shut down

No it wouldn't.

For some it would be a catastrophe bit the world would hardly come to a stop.

Edited by oaksoft

55 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not receiving any incoming calls or texts.

I'm with Sky, anybody else having issues?

Thought it was all sorted. :(

Contacted Sky, went through a step by step procedure to change from 4G to 2G, hey presto, working.

Problem is, when I'm out running on 2G will be slow.

They're sending me a new sim as a possible solution.

Sky are pretty good to deal with I have to admit. 

1 minute ago, chalky1 said:

I'm with EE and I always move down to 3G where possible, tend to get better reception etc. As you mentioned though it can sometimes buffer if using mobile data

I'll see if the replacement sim makes any difference.

Strange the phones been working ok till now right enough.

Just coincidence straight after the O2 issue? 

Sky uses the O2 network, faraway (so does Tesco), that'll be why you've had issues I'd guess.

I'm with Virgin and it uses EE. I hate EE so love the idea of using their (very good) 4g network but not paying anything like the amount they would charge with the added bonus of acceptable customer service.

34 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Sky uses the O2 network, faraway (so does Tesco), that'll be why you've had issues I'd guess.

I'm with Virgin and it uses EE. I hate EE so love the idea of using their (very good) 4g network but not paying anything like the amount they would charge with the added bonus of acceptable customer service.

I was aware of that, Sky offered a free day of data yesterday as a sweetener.

I'm just puzzled why the problem they had has resulted in the issue I have with not being able to receive calls/texts unless I drop down to 2G.

I had to switch back to 4G yesterday when I was out, not a real big deal as calls/texts are so 2000. :wink:

I'm back to 2G when at home as I use the house Wifi. 

I don't have a mobile phone and am not entirely sure if I understand things correctly but was it just internet connection that was lost?

Could people still phone and text - if so it's just folks self-imposed isolation that was,temporarily, lost and IMO no big deal, although I accept if you've paid for something you'd be a mite pissed off at not getting it.