St Mirren v Aberdeen 15/12/18

faraway saint

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

There are a number of times in history where the seemingly inevitable did not happen - even in football - From the Premiership, the Ross County escape comes to mind. From closer to home  our own escape in the Championship on goal difference comes to mind. 

It seems you want to give me a hard time for wishful thinking and because you have no hope whatsoever that we can attract decent players!

There are guys out there not playing 1st team football with real talent, but in squads that are very good - do you think these guys are happy not playing each week?

In my footballing career I hated even being a sub or subbed, even if it was an injury, never mind being frozen out. I would have "kicked my granny" for a game at any of the clubs I played at every week. (before you accuse me of granny abuse - it is only a metaphor)

It can work out for their clubs too - putting players that are not in their plans in the shop window for 6 months and bringing in some part of their wages.

If my memory serves me right one Mr Goncalves had been a Nice player who was unknown in Scotland, but scored a brace on his 1st game for us & went on to score 8 in that 2nd half of the season.

We need at least 3 guys who have that kind of impact. Is it likely, probably not; is it possible, yes of course it is... You can bet your boots within the club there will be plenty of efforts, so here's hoping they are highly successful.

There is too much at stake, we need to stay up.

I will have a pint of what your drinking :guinness

All you say makes perfect sense, however I will direct you back to our signings over the last ...... years. Unless we do a Jack of course and bring in 12 players..................

Youre right we do really need to stay up................ I wish we had considered that before.................... GS gave the entire reigns to Stubbs, then recruited a School teacher from a pish League.

Mind you at least Tony will have material for his next book   .......................

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

All you say makes perfect sense, however I will direct you back to our signings over the last ...... years. Unless we do a Jack of course and bring in 12 players..................

Youre right we do really need to stay up................ I wish we had considered that before.................... GS gave the entire reigns to Stubbs, then recruited a School teacher from a pish League.

Mind you at least Tony will have material for his next book   .......................

At this time of year it is Santa Stout.... but haven't had one since two nights ago ... and even then it was only one - although from memory it was joined with a double chaser of Genlivet 18.

I have no way of predicting how many will go out or in - but I would bet that there are lists. Guys we want away, Guys who are injured, ones who we would keep if we go down and ones we want to keep for the rest of this season.

To be fair, you are correct, the  BOD have made mistakes. We all know they did not really believe we were going up last year and then were panicked into ensuring we had a big enough squad in case we got injuries for the run in. However, many fans were not fully convinced we would make it either. Had we been bolder and just signed some Premiership quality improvements, it might have upset the dressing room a wee bit, but would have left us much stronger all round. The Stubbs saga doesn't need dragging out any more - it was a clusterfukc. More players on the wage bill that are not the required quality and add in injuries which have not helped.

I think you are being unfair to OK though. Tom Hendrie was a School teacher who won promotion with us. Like most managers, it did not end well. But OK must get a proper chance. He came after the transfer window had closed and still managed to sign a few guys. Hammill is a definite improvement, Ferdinand is not too shabby, but struggling with fitness and injuries.

Stubbs signed 11.  OK needs a transfer window to be able to form a team. I think any manager would struggle to make our current squad successful in this league and probably in the Championship too.

Tony - what can I say.   Perhaps Gus and Jimmy Nichol will add a bit more football knowledge into the club - I believe they will, but they will  have contacts that could make a massive difference.

The boat needs pushing out, the dross need clearing out and we really need to snap up some players we would not be able to afford under usual conditions. We don't need many more under 21s, but some hard, physical and very capable individuals who can bring real class and a winning mentality into our dressing room and points in the table.

I also think, in our favour that Dung-dee and Hamilton are probably more stretched budget wise than us - our target is to do better than both of these for 1/2 a season ( at least 4 points more than the later) - This does not seem too difficult - time will tell though.

5 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Can we please stop this pish, attacking OK because he was a teacher?

Many of the skills you need as a teacher are transferrable to his current role - team building, communication, relationship building - and he's also been a football manager for seven years, which is more experience than JR had.

Before you ask, I'm not a teacher, but unlike some I don't have a pathological hatred of them because it brings back memories of being made to sit in the corner with a dunces hat on!

13 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Many of the skills you need as a teacher are transferrable to his current role - team building, communication, relationship building - and he's also been a football manager for seven years, which is more experience than JR had.

Before you ask, I'm not a teacher, but unlike some I don't have a pathological hatred of them because it brings back memories of being made to sit in the corner with a dunces hat on!

No problem with teachers but I loved that Hat and that corner was my favourite.

PS. I hope OK is a success

Weren't  the ex Scotland Managers Craig Brown and Andy Roxburgh School Teachers?

5 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

(From memory) BBC stats show tonight Dons had:

18 attempts
8 on target
9 corners

If they managed that against Livingston, then we could be in for another long afternoon. ..

Add 3 goals and the amount of possession they appear to have had and you could well be right. 

In a triumph of hope over experience COYS.  Sock it to them. 

7 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

(From memory) BBC stats show tonight Dons had:

18 attempts
8 on target
9 corners

If they managed that against Livingston, then we could be in for another long afternoon. ..

Could be a short afternoon with us all home by half time.

8 hours ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Aberdeen were very ordinary tonight, although I did enjoy the last minute winner........

and the free Drinks :guinness

First half they weren't at the races,  second half Aberdeen pumped them. If the Livi defence had got any deeper,  they'd have been in the North Sea. 

Saturday will be another big test for us. 

11 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Weren't  the ex Scotland Managers Craig Brown and Andy Roxburgh School Teachers?

Add in Louis Van Gaal, Guus Hiddink and Ottmar Hitzfeld also teachers. By the way Andy Roxburgh was my football manager at one point.  (He was one of the poorer managers I played under though). The achievements of the others speak for themselves.

OK will be a success, but he needs the right players to come in this window and the support to do just that...

12 hours ago, Hendo said:

I wasnt attacking

Learn to read :fishwallop

13 hours ago, Hendo said:

Does it still hurt all these years later?

only beeding, you are right many of the skills a good teacher needs are transferable to the job of football manager. First obviously there's 'Marking' - you gotta get that right, or you could get you're jotters!

'Tactics' - remember you're old PE teachers pearls of wisdom from the sidelines of the playing field??? "Stop bunching" and "Moooove"

'Discipline' - yip many a seasoned Pro has had their Wildboy attitude clipped by being told "go and stand outside the CEO's office so he can tell you he's no jist sayin that"

14 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Oran was a phisical education teacher always liked my PE teachers cool dudes. 

12 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Watch Saints then Christmas shopping at Brehead. Got a cold so wondering if I should just go Christmas shopping. Decisions, decisions ? 

Stay in the house and do your shopping online. 

That sea crossing can be very choppy.