the midfield

Steven McGinn is only playing one out of every three games. What I mean by that is when its not working for him in terms of passes on target or winning the ball or getting caught on the ball he drops back to just in front of the centre halfs thereby creating a hole in front of him,  making it hard for the 3 guys left there , playing sometimes not just against 4 but sometimes 5 midfield players.

Then you get the situation where the middle player goes forward,we lose the ball and the opposition run straight down to the edge of our box.

It's been happening for weeks.

38 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Steven McGinn is only playing one out of every three games. What I mean by that is when its not working for him in terms of passes on target or winning the ball or getting caught on the ball he drops back to just in front of the centre halfs thereby creating a hole in front of him,  making it hard for the 3 guys left there , playing sometimes not just against 4 but sometimes 5 midfield players.

Then you get the situation where the middle player goes forward,we lose the ball and the opposition run straight down to the edge of our box.

It's been happening for weeks.

Don't agree with that analysis at all. McGinn and Magennis are the only two competent midfielders we have (Erhahon will be in time too). Our problem is when one is missing, we have no control in that area. When McGinn was on the bench v Dundee, we constantly gave the ball away and only when he came on did we take control back. We have nine points from nine games when Magennis plays, zero from eight when he doesn't. It's not rocket science, we need a defensive midfielder plus a couple of more attacking midfielders with pace, and McGinn and Magennis to play central midfield. 

So, just the three quality midfielders required. Plus a centre half, left back, goalie (two) and a couple of strikers. Easy peasy.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Don't agree with that analysis at all. McGinn and Magennis are the only two competent midfielders we have (Erhahon will be in time too). Our problem is when one is missing, we have no control in that area. When McGinn was on the bench v Dundee, we constantly gave the ball away and only when he came on did we take control back. We have nine points from nine games when Magennis plays, zero from eight when he doesn't. It's not rocket science, we need a defensive midfielder plus a couple of more attacking midfielders with pace, and McGinn and Magennis to play central midfield. 

So, just the three quality midfielders required. Plus a centre half, left back, goalie (two) and a couple of strikers. Easy peasy.

Five things we need from midfielders. 1. Win the Ball.  2. Pass the Ball.  3. Make forward runs.  4. Track opposition midfield runners.  5. Shoot and Cross.

McGinn can do most of these as can Magennis.  Magennis is the more effective forward runner of the two(imo). Both Could be better at 4 in particular. 

Finding the 9 players you are looking for?  Ask Gus. 

Edited by St.Ricky

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

You make it sound so simple, I was beginning to wonder where half of our support were getting lost with the situation.

Pirlo would struggle to carry the midfield that McGinn has to drag around at his feet most weeks. 

As you said only him and Magennis have turned up this season - and Magennis has spent most of it injured or having to play wide!

First thing in January has to be to get in a dominant defensive centre mid and stick him infront of the back 4, go to 5 in the middle and when fit play McGinn and Magennis - allowing them to do what they’re good at effectively.

Thanks Gus !! [emoji23]

Kidding aside you are right [emoji6]

The problem is Willock, Edwards, Flynn, McShane, Kirkpatrick et al are not good enough. And our defence is the worst in the league. If McGinn drops back its because the others are not doing their job and we are being overrun. Only McGinn and Magennis have shown any decent performances in midfield this season and Magennis has only played a small handful of games. It must be frustrating as hell for McGinn having teammates that are simply not up to the job.

7 hours ago, Kemp said:

Good to see a couple of posts from people who actually understand football! How refreshing around here!

I can assure you other Clubs analyst  have got this gap firmly on their reports, it's really well known  that if you put pressure on McGinn he falls deep.

McGinn needs someone next to him to do the dirty stuff, he always plays better with Magennis next to him. Need to get rid of deadwood and dare I say it, bring in a centre mid. I fear we've got too many to offload though so not sure how practical this would be. 

We need that no nonsense midfielder sitting in front of the back four, with ideally McGinn and Magennis either side creating a strong hard working midfield unit,  with a striker and two attacking midfielders playing in front of them. 

So that's a holding midfielder, some one with real pace and a big target man required, wonder if Jim Goodwin, Andy Dorman and Steven Thompson can still do a job. 

14 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We need that no nonsense midfielder sitting in front of the back four, with ideally McGinn and Magennis either side creating a strong hard working midfield unit,  with a striker and two attacking midfielders playing in front of them. 

So that's a holding midfielder, some one with real pace and a big target man required, wonder if Jim Goodwin, Andy Dorman and Steven Thompson can still do a job. 

If only it was that simple, but I don't disagree that these are real needs.

We currently play too much "tippy tappy back the way" football - and that is often from the entire midfield and others.

Livi on Saturday for their 3rd played one touch stuff from our attack all the way to our box and had an easy shot into an open net. They did this at speed - I don't think we have done this once all season. We are easy to play against, too predictable, inconsistent and don't have enough quality...

We need a class lift in terms of our players in as many positions as we can manage to tie up and afford.

January transfer window is time to push the boat out or sink...

I hope we float up the table to survive and build for the future though

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

I'd never play Edwards or Willock again. Would rather see Scott Glover and Cameron Breadner promoted from the 2nd team. Would do a lot better than those 2 lazy gits. A couple games in December would be great experience for them.

Don't think it's fair to call Edwards lazy.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

The midfield is so bad we should find a place for Ethan in there as he is wasted at full-back. Hodson can play full back for now.

What’s the situation regarding Paul McGinn’s injury at the weekend? Hodson plays best at RB. Might be time to bring Eck in at LB and move Erhahon to midfield where he should be.

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

What’s the situation regarding Paul McGinn’s injury at the weekend? Hodson plays best at RB. Might be time to bring Eck in at LB and move Erhahon to midfield where he should be.

Don't know. He walked off suggesting it wasn't too bad (compared to Mullan and Magennis last week). For me Paul McGinn is the far better player than Hodson. I'd play him right midfield for now, Hodson right back and Eck at left back. If Eck ain't fit then move Hodson to left back with P McGinn right back. But Erharon is wasted at full back.

5 hours ago, Doakes said:

McGinn needs someone next to him to do the dirty stuff, he always plays better with Magennis next to him. Need to get rid of deadwood and dare I say it, bring in a centre mid. I fear we've got too many to offload though so not sure how practical this would be. 

I'd agree with this, McShane did this against Hearts and we won.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Don't know. He walked off suggesting it wasn't too bad (compared to Mullan and Magennis last week). For me Paul McGinn is the far better player than Hodson. I'd play him right midfield for now, Hodson right back and Eck at left back. If Eck ain't fit then move Hodson to left back with P McGinn right back. But Erharon is wasted at full back.

Hopefully Paul will be alright. I meant Hodson’s best position was RB, rather than him being better than P.McGinn. Hodson isn’t anywhere near as good when he plays LB so hopefully Eck may return. Agreed with Erhahon, let’s use him to his strengths.