January Signings

Flareybob

Sorry buddie. Don't remember seeing it. 
How many more players will be bringing in now? 
I share Sweeper's take on it. 
4 to 5 to come in (6 if Hodson goes) 
Not all of them by the end of the window. 
Our approach outside the windows saw three good players come in. 
Repeat that and I couldn't ask for more. 

Just can’t see that many more players to come in. Don’t think we need that many or OK wants that many.

6 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

So not really any hard facts?

an average players wage at our club in the premiership is around £1 - 1.5k a week (the club, and studies confirm this). How can Latvian football sustain paying double?

could it be its easier, less controversial and covers up cock ups for agents and directors to say "yeah someone else offered double". Rather than admit the truth?

Would it surprise you to learn that in the close season 2018  Riga offered an english Div 2 player €7500 per week plus  paid accommodation, translator and driver or use of a club car ?

I don’t know where the money comes from for these leagues but it does . 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Would it surprise you to learn that in the close season 2018  Riga offered an english Div 2 player €7500 per week plus  paid accommodation, translator and driver or use of a club car ?

I don’t know where the money comes from for these leagues but it does . 

The Latvian mafia  Sh! :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

So not really any hard facts?

an average players wage at our club in the premiership is around £1 - 1.5k a week (the club, and studies confirm this). How can Latvian football sustain paying double?  :rolleyes:

could it be its easier, less controversial and covers up cock ups for agents and directors to say "yeah someone else offered double". Rather than admit the truth?

Or .................... perhaps you havnae got a scoobie du .........     to    :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Who of any quality would join us now we are bottom of the league.

The first signing should have been a striker 

Do you think being bottom will have players looking at us much different from when we were second bottom ? 

Fwiw, I would have liked the first singing to be a striker also but decent ones are hard to come by and by your own admission , who of any significant quality would want to join a team bottom ........or second bottom ? 

12 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

The first signing should have been a striker 

Again I’ll say, where are we going to randomly pluck out a high scoring striker that no one else has noticed?

If I’m right here, the only guys who hit double figures in the league during our 9 year spell last time were John Sutton, Michael Higdon and Stevie Thompson (Dorman?). And we only got Thommo due to his affinity with the club. We could sign any random striker, doesn’t mean he’s any good. Should we just bring back Brock-Madsen? 

What's the point of identifying "targets" who when presented with the offer say thanks but no thanks. We're these two part of the Gus operation or not ? I suspect we are recruiting players exactly the same way as we always have, via agents and the same old panic as the end of the window approaches will ensue. Expect some bizarre random nonsense over the next week or so. Freeing up the wages being paid to Gus and Nichol might help get a bit better quality in.

What's the point of identifying "targets" who when presented with the offer say thanks but no thanks. We're these two part of the Gus operation or not ? I suspect we are recruiting players exactly the same way as we always have, via agents and the same old panic as the end of the window approaches will ensue. Expect some bizarre random nonsense over the next week or so. Freeing up the wages being paid to Gus and Nichol might help get a bit better quality in.

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

We seem to be good at getting trialists. 

Let's see how we do against Hibs before we become too critical of the transfer window. 

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

What's the point of identifying "targets" who when presented with the offer say thanks but no thanks.

If only we had a crystal ball...………….

What would be the point of identifying any player then?

Any target we have identified could change their mind at the last minute for a myriad of reasons.

Such as another team offering more money, which happened with Malec.

You only have to look at our almost signing from Blackpool to see how ridiculously open to last minute changes any transfer can be, especially for a team in our position.

Jeez , really ? What’s the point if identifying targets who knock us back ?!? I’m glad you are not in charge of any sort of recruitment.
How do you propose we identify targets then 🤣

13 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Jeez , really ? What’s the point if identifying targets who knock us back ?!? I’m glad you are not in charge of any sort of recruitment.
How do you propose we identify targets then

If they really want to play for St Mirren, they'll come to us. We just sit back and watch the talent roll in. Simple.

:lol:

Edited by Magic Monkey

12 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Patience is the word. A couple more in before Friday evening and we will see over the rest of the season what they have brought in . . 

Results from this kind of change don't happen overnight either.

Edited by Sweeper07
change not chance -

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

How do you propose we identify targets then

So we identify a couple of players - have them watched a couple of times at their current clubs then bring them over for a week and then offer them a deal that is unacceptable. There must have been dialogue about what sort of deal it would take for them to join us so if we offered that deal and they turned it down then it smacks of us being used as a benchmark by their agents enabling them to seek out a better deal elsewhere which brings me back to my original statement.  We are simply too far down the food chain for this style of set-up to work.  How much money did we spend on going to watch them then bringing them over here. I get we secured the Romanian and Czech guys but this smacks to me of a very expensive way to recruit once the technical directors wages are also taken into account.

17 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

So we identify a couple of players - have them watched a couple of times at their current clubs then bring them over for a week and then offer them a deal that is unacceptable. There must have been dialogue about what sort of deal it would take for them to join us so if we offered that deal and they turned it down then it smacks of us being used as a benchmark by their agents enabling them to seek out a better deal elsewhere which brings me back to my original statement.  We are simply too far down the food chain for this style of set-up to work.  How much money did we spend on going to watch them then bringing them over here. I get we secured the Romanian and Czech guys but this smacks to me of a very expensive way to recruit once the technical directors wages are also taken into account.

What makes you think this did not happen?

Agents tout their guys for trials to pressure other interested teams into upping their offers.  So how can we discern which ones are telling the truth?

Folk are headhunted in the business world too - and the investment in time, effort and money there sometimes does not prove fruitful either . . :nerdy

Players hold most of the aces here and most players will consider various offers before committing to a club. The money may not be the sole decider .
Know one knows what was offered and what influenced the decision to reject saints offer .
Doesn’t mean we should stop bringing in potential players , far from it

4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Players hold most of the aces here and most players will consider various offers before committing to a club. The money may not be the sole decider .
Know one knows what was offered and what influenced the decision to reject saints offer .
Doesn’t mean we should stop bringing in potential players , far from it

Geezer on here swears we offered them half what others offered. That'd be an influence, no?

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

What makes you think this did not happen?

Agents tout their guys for trials to pressure other interested teams into upping their offers.  So how can we discern which ones are telling the truth?

Folk are headhunted in the business world too - and the investment in time, effort and money there sometimes does not prove fruitful either . . :nerdy

I'm sure it did hence all the more frustrating.  If the club think the new set up is a sustainable and ultimately fruitful development in recruitment policy then so be it I just feel it might prove costly for what fruit it bears. Either way we need 4/5 players in key positions in pronto one way or another.