January Signings

Flareybob

54 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

The very same, the one who also signed Mo Camara, Dennis Wyness, Tom Brighton etc. Two can play that game.

ETA - very amusing seeing Gary Brady lumped in with that list of very good players... were you struggling for names?

All managers will have bad signings. Every single one, even those operating on the fantasy budgets of the giant Spanish and English clubs get some wrong.

More importantly, lets just get one thing clear. Gus MacPherson was not a great PR man, but he did an absolutely fantastic job as manager of St Mirren. He took over one of the worst ever St Mirren teams that John Coughlin had headed for the third tier and firmly established us in the Premier League for the first time since the 1980s. There is absolutely no arguing with this. Gus MacPherson was a tremendous St Mirren manager.

You can argue about his current role at the club, but enough of this pish about him being a bad manager or bad in the transfer market. It is complete made up bollocks.

Edited by Kemp

It is also made up bollocks to say we sent Alfie Jones back. Why do so many on here live in fantasy land? Between the Brexiters and this I do despair!

Southampton called back a whole load of their loanees when the new manager came in, Jones included.

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

It is also made up bollocks to say we sent Alfie Jones back. Why do so many on here live in fantasy land? Between the Brexiters and this I do despair!

Southampton called back a whole load of their loanees when the new manager came in, Jones included.

There are a number on here who love a conspiracy theory or two     :spud6

53 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

The very same, the one who also signed Mo Camara, Dennis Wyness, Tom Brighton etc. Two can play that game.

ETA - very amusing seeing Gary Brady lumped in with that list of very good players... were you struggling for names?

You inferred that no decent player would want to sign for Gus. I was merely pointing out that many did. No manager gets them all right - even Sir Alex signed Camara. And Brady was a decent player for us - would certainly get a game for us just now if he was still young and fit.

20 hours ago, Kemp said:

All managers will have bad signings. Every single one, even those operating on the fantasy budgets of the giant Spanish and English clubs get some wrong

You can argue about his current role at the club, but enough of this pish about him being a bad manager or bad in the transfer market. It is complete made up bollocks.

They have millions to play with. We don’t.

He was a good manager for us 15-10 years ago. Fantastic manager infact, however he left 9 years ago now because he had ran out of ideas. Much like your Jim Jeffries mould of manager - these guys no longer get jobs because times have changed. Time will tell in May.

20 hours ago, Sonny said:

You inferred that no decent player would want to sign for Gus. I was merely pointing out that many did. No manager gets them all right - even Sir Alex signed Camara. And Brady was a decent player for us - would certainly get a game for us just now if he was still young and fit.

Nope. Tansey is a good player, and he did sign some stars in his first spell. Just throwing the point in that perhaps if it’s him doing the negotiations he doesn’t inspire these guys - entirely plausible.

Garry Brady was never young nor fit when he was with us... 

Desperate times call for desperate measures, but I reckon that's us got 6 loan signings to date and still counting...

In addition we have a few other players either on short term contracts or no longer feature in OK's longer-term plans.

Even if we survive our present plight we are all set for (another) massive clear-out at the end of this season and all that entails. And so it goes on - season after season.

However, this is the St Mirren way after all.

26 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures, but I reckon that's us got 6 loan signings to date and still counting...

In addition we have a few other players either on short term contracts or no longer feature in OK's longer-term plans.

Even if we survive our present plight we are all set for (another) massive clear-out at the end of this season and all that entails. And so it goes on - season after season.

We have 5 loan players plus one (Popescu) that we have an option to buy on.  Tansey and Hladky are on 18 month contracts.

:turtle  It will take time to have less loans and a better settled squad . . .

Edited by Sweeper07
4 changed to 5

4 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

We have 4 loan players plus one (Popescu) that we have an option to buy on.  Tansey and Hladky are on 18 month contracts.

:turtle  It will take time to have less loans and a better settled squad . . .

According to my calculations we have Popescu, Lyons, McAllister, Hodson, Dreyer and Rogers currently on loan deals.

12 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

We have lost our way,selling off all our assets to be replaced by passers by 

16 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

It's the way of virtually every club in Scotland and has been for years.

1 minute ago, northstbuddie said:

It would be interesting to establish how we compare re loan signings with other clubs in the Scottish Premiership.

I don't see how it would help to pick holes like that in the middle of a relegation battle.

The only thing we should be worrying about is surviving this season.

Why look for negatives at a time when we need all the positives we can muster?

Edited by oaksoft

10 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

According to my calculations we have Popescu, Lyons, McAllister, Hodson, Dreyer and Rogers currently on loan deals.

My POINT is that although Popescu IS a loan - we have an option to buy him :)

But I see -  I had not counted Rodgers - I thought he would be away by now also...

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I don't see how it would help to pick holes like that in the middle of a relegation battle.

The only thing we should be worrying about is surviving this season.

Why look for negatives at a time when we need all the positives we can muster?

It wouldn't help but it would still be interesting.

We certainly don't need to look for negatives - I agree with you on that.

41 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

It would be interesting to establish how we compare re loan signings with other clubs in the Scottish Premiership.

Wages significantly affect quality of loanees.  That is why players like Greg Stewart, Ryan Gauld etc are at Aberdeen and Hibs who pay 2-3 times what we offer.

Edited by nedflanders123

David McMillan being allowed to leave St. Johnstone. 

Certainly worth a look in my opinion. He got unlucky with an injury as a result a horror tackle by Tomas Cerny on his debut last season and has found himself on the fringes of the Saintees squad since. Still managed 10 starts and 4 goals for them though so he can do it at this level.

He's very prolific at League of Ireland level with Dundalk and at 30, is a good age with plenty of experience.

3 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

We have lost our way,selling off all our assets to be replaced by passers by 

Maybe you should support another team then.

Because you've got fuck all good to say about the team you supposedly support.

Edited by FTOF

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I'd rather we have players on permanent contracts, and only one or two on loan. It's a long game to get to that point though, obviously the mission for this window was get anyone of decent quality in by any means possible!

Gives us the chance to see what's out there   and also to develop a few decent relationships with agents at a higher level than we have previously been dealing with. So relatively happy with this transfer window. My only disappointment was that we didn't go down this way in May.