January Signings

Flareybob

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I'd rather we have players on permanent contracts, and only one or two on loan. It's a long game to get to that point though, obviously the mission for this window was get anyone of decent quality in by any means possible!

I think we'd all rather have players that are signed on longer term deals.

However, we're not currently in a position to do so.

It's amazing how much damage one wrong managerial appointment can do to a club.

However, as much as the board fucked up with our last managerial appointment, they seem to be backing OK to the hilt in this transfer window.

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Gives us the chance to see what's out there   and also to develop a few decent relationships with agents at a higher level than we have previously been dealing with. So relatively happy with this transfer window. My only disappointment was that we didn't go down this way in May. 

Well we haven't seen much of these guys yet other than McAllister. I'm not convinced they will all be of the quality required.

I'd certainly hold off before declaring this window a success.

And we still need someone up front to put it in the net!

7 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I'd rather we have players on permanent contracts, and only one or two on loan. It's a long game to get to that point though, obviously the mission for this window was get anyone of decent quality in by any means possible!

Correct, as would Kearney.

The naysayers will pick up on the fact that he said at the Q&A several months ago that his preference is to have permanent players supplemented by a couple of loan deals but happily miss out the caveat of him saying 'but in January we know that might not be possible' as there are greater constraints to work within in this window.

Even in the season of the great escape, we signed 10 players. 5 were loan signings and 3 were on 6 month contracts in Todd, Fjelde and Stelios (2 of whom signed extensions after the season ended).

The only players we actually signed on anything other than an extended trial were McGinn and (I think) Eckersley who got 18 months each and even then, they both had relegation get out clauses.

You have to give up so many concessions in January to get what you want and need...no club who is doing well in January brings in 8-10 players so the ones that do have to make do and mend. That's just life when your summer window has been more or less FUBARed.

We would all prefer permanent deals than loans but Even Celtic and rangers have more that double that in loan players two clubs in our league that have budgets to go out and spend money.

Unfortunately for us and many other clubs in Scotland our market if free agents and loan deals.

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Well we haven't seen much of these guys yet other than McAllister. I'm not convinced they will all be of the quality required.

I'll put my neck on the line and predict that they'll be an upgrade on the players that we've just got rid of.

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

What isn't up for debate though is that the guys coming overall are playing either at higher standard of football, or crucially, more regularly over the last 12 months than those who arrived in the summer.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Correct, as would Kearney.

The naysayers will pick up on the fact that he said at the Q&A several months ago that his preference is to have permanent players supplemented by a couple of loan deals but happily miss out the caveat of him saying 'but in January we know that might not be possible' as there are greater constraints to work within in this window.

Even in the season of the great escape, we signed 10 players. 5 were loan signings and 3 were on 6 month contracts in Todd, Fjelde and Stelios (2 of whom signed extensions after the season ended).

The only players we actually signed on anything other than an extended trial were McGinn and (I think) Eckersley who got 18 months each and even then, they both had relegation get out clauses.

You have to give up so many concessions in January to get what you want and need...no club who is doing well in January brings in 8-10 players so the ones that do have to make do and mend. That's just life when your summer window has been more or less FUBARed.

Too many facts in that posts for some. Which they'll no doubt ignore or try to twist to suit their warped agendas.

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

What isn't up for debate though is that the guys coming overall are playing either at higher standard of football, or crucially, more regularly over the last 12 months than those who arrived in the summer.

They also play in positions where we are weak, or we don't have that type of player   so I'm hoping our overall performance will improve. Especially with the added pace up front 

1 hour ago, Ethan said:

With players coming in from europe they will be technically better than what we could get from Scotland. Just need to gel a side and get a couple more in to see us through. 

Add a striker and we can give it a real go towards staying in this league. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, St.Ricky said:

Where is Jack Ross when we need him?

Any Sunderland players we might take on loan and do a job for us?

He's nursing his wrath cos some team stole one of his players. A wee bit of karma for him , after he walked out on us !

42 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I'm hearing from many more that I work with quite the opposite what they don't like are the number of draws!

It doesn't matter what the majority believe, Eeyore usually will find a contrary viewpoint from somewhere.

5 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

I'm hearing from many more that I work with quite the opposite what they don't like are the number of draws!

Unbeaten this year in all competitions.

Struggling to win tight games by all accounts. Failure to get promoted this year and I struggle to see a future down there for him.

50 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Correct

Kearney says 2-3 signings in this week

By my calculations that will be ten or eleven in, but also take the squad size to around 26, bigger than OK has said is ideal.

Wonder if this means players leaving or he's revised the size of squad because of the number of injuries.

Regardless, the key will now be gelling the squad so they work well as a team. Now that the disappointment of today is wearing of, i believe there is cause for optimism. Popescu and Lyons look good, in fact all the new signings look like they could improve us. A lot of the goals we have lost in the last three games have come from either failure to track midfield runners, and we need to get a system in place that will address this, or failing to defend set pieces, where Ferdinand's absence has been felt. 

Edited by Hendo

We were short of options on the bench today, we missed fresh legs in midfield today, Dreyer was struggling with the rough and tumble of the game, and someone like Magennis coming on would have made a difference. Likewise Cooke if fit would have made a difference. I thought we played well   and with a couple of more signings and players coming back from injury  we could put a we run together. 

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Two possibly three more signings to come next week according to OK on the radio.

So that will be eight or nine in.

Surely that can't be right...……………………….:lol

It's what he said in his aftermatch interview.  Shull has posted it on the forum. 

14 hours ago, Hendo said:

Wonder if this means players leaving or he's revised the size of squad because of the number of injuries. 

37 minutes ago, Jrok said:

So from the interview 2 strikers and either a winger or attacking midfielder. Fingers crossed they all help us out and move us of the bottom of the table.

If two strikers come in, you have to imagine Cody Cooke will be away on loan, possibly to a top-four Championship side. If Mullen was fit I reckon he'd be away too. he might do someone as an emergency loan if he does recover.