Saint Mirren v St Johnstone

St.Ricky

A game we should never have lost but it was a ticking timebomb as the game went on.

It should’ve been obvious to everyone in the ground how this script was playing out - unfortunately the players and manager had no idea how to alter their fortunes and grind out the point.

Too many players not willing to run through a brick wall for the badge and that is unacceptable.

Somewhat bewildering that Hammill is odds on first sub every week and today on potentially his most frustrating afternoon yet, he survived the 90 mins...

Anyway, January draws ever closer and that looked like a goodbye to Anton, aswell as many more I have no doubt... 

We had a point in the bag which in the circumstances would have been a great point. However we gambled on a substitution to go for 3 points and made a mess of it. When Cammy went off we changed to a back four and let them on top of us when we had been on top of them. Hope OK learns from this.

Ryan Flynn....why? Caused the fracas that led to the throw in that led to the goal. Zero addition to team when he came on. Overall we were worth a point without really creating. Great work ethic and attitude in game from team. Felt we didn't look out of our depth unlike earlier in season. Last twenty minutes fake saints overran us

A dreadful game by 2 dreadful teams

A very cheap goal to lose from a throw in

Stephen McGinn and the young left back were decent but we offer nothing going forward

Couple of chances in the 2nd half but players electing to take extra touches instead of first time and they peter out

Christmas cheer gone watching that dross

51 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We had a point in the bag which in the circumstances would have been a great point. However we gambled on a substitution to go for 3 points and made a mess of it. When Cammy went off we changed to a back four and let them on top of us when we had been on top of them. Hope OK learns from this.

I share this view. Wondered why we did that.

1 hour ago, W6Saint said:

A game we should never have lost but it was a ticking timebomb as the game went on.

It should’ve been obvious to everyone in the ground how this script was playing out - unfortunately the players and manager had no idea how to alter their fortunes and grind out the point.

Too many players not willing to run through a brick wall for the badge and that is unacceptable.

Somewhat bewildering that Hammill is odds on first sub every week and today on potentially his most frustrating afternoon yet, he survived the 90 mins...

Anyway, January draws ever closer and that looked like a goodbye to Anton, aswell as many more I have no doubt... 

I wouldn't fault anyone for effort today and I don't think there is any team selection or formation that would have made a difference. The problem is we just don't have the quality to win these type of games. Recruitment in January is going to be vital

1 hour ago, elvis said:

You better hope one is called Jesus because that's what we need someone to perform a f**king miracle.

Nope we needs 3 or 4 Premiership quality players who can make the difference between 3 points today and none.

Bar Celtic there is not one team in this league that is not beatable.

We are short of the quality needed at the moment and are consistently losing by the odd goal at home

Got to turn the home defeats into wins

Good window in Jan and that can change.

Edited by lenziebud

My concern is that we are extremely naive. 89 mins played and a quick throw in has a us beat. It’s simply not good enough. Looking at he squad I’d say the big problem is getting players out the door as they’re not going to leave for less cash are they? McShane, Kirkpatrick, Flynn, Mullen, Heaton, King, Kpewa and maybe Smith have not contributed and look unlikely to do so. Smith maybe if he can get up to the pace of the game soon . If we can get these guys out fair enough but it’s unlikely . Also will we outspend Dundee or well?

Not many pluses from today's game. Young Erhahon and S McGinn got pass marks. Hammill seems to want to do it all by himself. On at least 3 occasions he passed up the opportunity to give the ball to Paul McGinn but held onto it and fluffing his lines. I'm surprised anyone though Cammy should have stayed on the park as he was completely ineffectual. Although Ferdinand did get his head to a couple of balls I'm not sure he'll be missed as much as some think. He is still far too slow. This all said, Saintees didn't deserve all three points as they were as bad as us. To get done by a quick throw in in the dying embers of the game is a wee bit embarrassing though.

Guest TPAFKATS
My concern is that we are extremely naive. 89 mins played and a quick throw in has a us beat. It’s simply not good enough. Looking at he squad I’d say the big problem is getting players out the door as they’re not going to leave for less cash are they? McShane, Kirkpatrick, Flynn, Mullen, Heaton, King, Kpewa and maybe Smith have not contributed and look unlikely to do so. Smith maybe if he can get up to the pace of the game soon . If we can get these guys out fair enough but it’s unlikely . Also will we outspend Dundee or well?

We're too naive and also too nice. Should never have let that happen. It wasn't 89 minutes though, we were done by at least one quick free kick and corner in the first half. Got away with them, only to be sucker punched at the end.

Watching Tommy wright's celebrations was hard to take - you'd think it was a cup semi final the way he was celebrating.

2 minutes ago, st jock said:

Typical St. Mirren. Shite

If that's the scoreline your on about your correct, but at least we looked far more organised and competitive than a few 

months ago so OK is getting something right but there's no denying we lack quality in just about every area of the park. 

A good transfer window is a must or we'll be well and truly fecked... 

Another 2nd half shocker. Just as well St.Johnstone were as bad. Sucker punch but we let it happen by dropping deeper every time they got the ball. We badly need 5 or 6 players in January whether we get that many I doubt. But a lot of these players are not up for the fight. McGinn brothers played well but all in all poor day. On to Killie on Saturday. Coys

Not many pluses from today's game. Young Erhahon and S McGinn got pass marks. Hammill seems to want to do it all by himself. On at least 3 occasions he passed up the opportunity to give the ball to Paul McGinn but held onto it and fluffing his lines. I'm surprised anyone though Cammy should have stayed on the park as he was completely ineffectual. Although Ferdinand did get his head to a couple of balls I'm not sure he'll be missed as much as some think. He is still far too slow. This all said, Saintees didn't deserve all three points as they were as bad as us. To get done by a quick throw in in the dying embers of the game is a wee bit embarrassing though.

Agree with most of this but... Hammil, can kinda forgive him for greedying it. He clearly has no faith in the rest of his team mates and when you look at the numbers you can see why. He’s much better than all of them and that’s why he’s leaving next week.

They didn’t deserve 3 points? Reaching there. Before they scored Lyness made a good save with a tip over the bar, Ethan almost scored an OG and they missed a sitter from 8 yards out. Those 3 were better than anything we created, then they scored.

The result was absolutely a fair one.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

Agree with most of this but... Hammil, can kinda forgive him for greedying it. He clearly has no faith in the rest of his team mates and when you look at the numbers you can see why. He’s much better than all of them and that’s why he’s leaving next week.

They didn’t deserve 3 points? Reaching there. Before they scored Lyness made a good save with a tip over the bar, Ethan almost scored and OG and they missed a sitter from 8 yards out. Those 3 were better than anything we created, then they scored.

The result was absolutely a fair one.

It really depends on your take. We had as many, if not more opportunities to score but missed them by considerably more or, as I said. Hammill prevented the opportunities by making the wrong decisions just outside their 18 yard box. A miss is a miss, no matter by how much. On the balance of play, and I use the term loosely, we had as many chances to make a shot.

It really depends on your take. We had as many, if not more opportunities to score but missed them by considerably more or, as I said. Hammill prevented the opportunities by making the wrong decisions just outside their 18 yard box. A miss is a miss, no matter by how much. On the balance of play, and I use the term loosely, we had as many chances to make a shot.

Well that’s a different measure. If your barometer is chances to create a chance then we were roughly equal. We had loads of them, first half especially.

One sticks out, i think it was Hodson bursting through the middle with a man over on his right. Correct pass and it’s a one on one. He f**ked the pass and there was no shot and no chance.

That was the difference between us and them. When we got in good positions our creative players f**ked it. When they got in good positions they created chances, and then they scored one of them.

Hence 0-1

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well that’s a different measure. If your barometer is chances to create a chance then we were roughly equal. We had loads of them, first half especially.

One sticks out, i think it was Hodson bursting through the middle with a man over on his right. Correct pass and it’s a one on one. He f**ked the pass and there was no shot and no chance.

That was the difference between us and them. When we got in good positions our creative players f**ked it. When they got in good positions they created chances, and then they scored one of them.

Hence 0-1

Agreed. And to add a wee bit perspective the boy Watt is probably on about 6 grand a week.