Saint Mirren v St Johnstone

St.Ricky

I would very much doubt Watt is on that figure they barely get 3000fans coming in apart from games with the Old Firm granted they are a well run club. I was so sure we would get a result here especially after the boy Kennedy was subbed.We lost because of the poor use of subs and our inability to manage the final fifteen.The replacement of Cammy with Flynn was shocking.I like Oran and I wish him well but he has to learn fast.

5 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

If so how do they afford that based on their home crowds?

I'm guessing but I bet he doesn't come cheap. St Johnstone have Geoff Brown as owner, a lot of non football income from the corporate side and umpteen years in the top flight. January will be interesting as we will need to splash the cash to get in guys good enough to make the difference.

I would very much doubt Watt is on that figure they barely get 3000fans coming in apart from games with the Old Firm granted they are a well run club. I was so sure we would get a result here especially after the boy Kennedy was subbed.We lost because of the poor use of subs and our inability to manage the final fifteen.The replacement of Cammy with Flynn was shocking.I like Oran and I wish him well but he has to learn fast.

What does he need to learn that we don’t have any quality on the bench.

Cammy wasn’t that great tbh anyway imo

7 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

They don't pay big money. They have however built a team over several years. 

I see your point on the subs but felt that. Cammy was running out of steam and the changes were meant to see us gain at least a draw. It didn't work out that way. We switched off for a moment and we're punished. 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

They don't pay big money. They have however built a team over several years. 

I see your point on the subs but felt that. Cammy was running out of steam and the changes were meant to see us gain at least a draw. It didn't work out that way. We switched off for a moment and we're punished. 

I think they pay pretty decent money. And haven't sacked too many duff manager's or assembled a squad the size of the New England Patriots.

Just now, magnus said:

I think they pay pretty decent money. And haven't sacked too many duff manager's or assembled a squad the size of the New England Patriots.

I posted the average wages paid by Premiership Clubs in 2017 on the Forum. 

I agree about the managers. They do select well and they do give them time.

No argument from me either on the size and/or composition of our squad. 

Looking back achieves nothing,  nor does adopting a "woe is me" approach. We are, perhaps surprisingly, still in the mix in a bottom group of 4.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

I can't get my head around those thinking we were worthy of any points today, we were dreadful from start to finish. Found ourselves at 0-0 with 15 to go after they managed to miss sitter of the season and yet we could not be less interested in trying to push for a goal. Got exactly what we deserved for half arsedly sitting in. Formation was effectively 3-6-1 and it was clear that nothing was sticking up front right from the start but OK did nothing to change it. Major surgery required in January!

23 minutes ago, VivaLaDron said:

I can't get my head around those thinking we were worthy of any points today, we were dreadful from start to finish. Found ourselves at 0-0 with 15 to go after they managed to miss sitter of the season and yet we could not be less interested in trying to push for a goal. Got exactly what we deserved for half arsedly sitting in. Formation was effectively 3-6-1 and it was clear that nothing was sticking up front right from the start but OK did nothing to change it. Major surgery required in January!

With no Cooke, there was little option to change things up top. You can get the frustration on this coming from the manager, going by his post match comments.

One big reason fir onky managing one weak attempt on target is the fact we persist in fielding midgets up front, then get pissed off when none of them can physically dominate to get a header away. Every cross from Hammil or P McGinn yesterday was two foot above our forwards reach.

i have no idea how, or if, Oran can recruit the type and number of players we need to improve. Added to that if say all the loanees go, as well as big Anton (who waved tattie bye at every individual fan) and Hammil then we've lost our back line, regular keeper and top scorer!

i worry the likes of Alfie Jones will ask his club to call him back early.

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

i worry the likes of Alfie Jones will ask his club to call him back early.

Why would he do that if he’s getting regular games, something he won’t get at Southampton? Also, what would it show of his mentality if he would want to pull out of a relegation fight?

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

Why would he do that if he’s getting regular games, something he won’t get at Southampton? Also, what would it show of his mentality if he would want to pull out of a relegation fight?

Could be he'd rather take the option of being on the fringe of a EPL first team squad as opposed to possible relegation up here? Which would you choose if you were a young, highly paid footballer trying to keep your CV looking positive? Alfie will go on to better things, we are only at the start of his journey.

I would love him to stay till the season end, if he went too i cant  see us being able to recruit two good centre backs in January.

Oh well, another opportunity to scrape a point lost.

Some decent post match assessments on here and I agree that whilst it was a decent perfotmance we were never going to score.

I thought the team looked worse after Flynn came on and whilst the fakes did look like they were recovering from an excess of festive cheer they were the only team that looked like winning.

That said it was a cruel blow to lose the goal so late.

On the plus side we're still in it and I got a night in Paisley because of the train chaos. After too many pints in the Howf and an excess of curry in Moss St I feel as lethargic as a fakes player.

Feck that was definitely a missed opportunity.

See you all Sat for a doing at Kilmarnock.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Could be he'd rather take the option of being on the fringe of a EPL first team squad as opposed to possible relegation up here? Which would you choose if you were a young, highly paid footballer trying to keep your CV looking positive? Alfie will go on to better things, we are only at the start of his journey.

I would love him to stay till the season end, if he went too i cant  see us being able to recruit two good centre backs in January.

If he’s only just started getting games for us, he’s hardly going to be a fringe player at Southampton :lol: it’ll be straight back into the U23s. He’ll develop better here playing against adults than fellow kids.

Clubs are going to look at the individual, not just look at him and say “oh he got relegated with St Mirren, he must be shite”. Jordan Pickford was part of a Sunderland side leaking goals all over, but bigger clubs could see that was more down to a shite team as a whole, and Pickford himself stood out as a good player. How much do you think Paul Dummett benefitted from being with us for a whole season? To ask for a return when getting games here would be to say, I haven’t got the bottle to deal with this.

57 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

If he’s only just started getting games for us, he’s hardly going to be a fringe player at Southampton :lol: it’ll be straight back into the U23s. He’ll develop better here playing against adults than fellow kids.

Clubs are going to look at the individual, not just look at him and say “oh he got relegated with St Mirren, he must be shite”. Jordan Pickford was part of a Sunderland side leaking goals all over, but bigger clubs could see that was more down to a shite team as a whole, and Pickford himself stood out as a good player. How much do you think Paul Dummett benefitted from being with us for a whole season? To ask for a return when getting games here would be to say, I haven’t got the bottle to deal with this.

When Anton is off then it would be remiss of Jones not to consider how that affects him, the clamour by some on here to ditch anyone signed by Stubbs cant but have an affect on a young player, and why should he have to shoulder the burden of the board's clusterf**k?

like i said, I hope he stays, we need some stability especially in the back line, i would however understand if he got himself recalled. Peopke really need to think through what they are wishing for.

i agree with your examples, thats why like Pickford and Dummett there will be interest at his own and other clubs in young Alfie.

I think the game yesterday was a perfect example of our problem.

We really missed the dig of a Magennis type in the middle, game was crying out for someone to get their foot on the ball and really take control of the game. Stephen McGinn was great - but needed support next to him. 

For me, centre mid is a key area to improve in.

Keeping Hammill would be huge. He was in the 1877 club and showed signs that he might just stay until the end of the season... fingers crossed

Ferdinand is away, so we need a centre half. One injury there and we are f**ked

We have no depth in wide areas. Really need someone who can play left or right wing and inject a bit of pace... cough cough Lewis Morgan 

Kyle McAllister back on loan would do!

Another key weakness is of course up front. Cody Cooke showed against Motherwell that we could use a big battering ram - sadly he's no quite good enough to do it on a regular basis. I like the boys attitude though. Mr Heaton could learn a lot from Cooke and Jones

We really missed the dig of a Magennis type in the middle, game was crying out for someone to get their foot on the ball and really take control of the game. Stephen McGinn was great - but needed support next to him. 
Keeping Hammill would be huge. He was in the 1877 club and showed signs that he might just stay until the end of the season... fingers crossed

We have no depth in wide areas. Really need someone who can play left or right wing and inject a bit of pace... cough cough Lewis Morgan 

Another key weakness is of course up front. Cody Cooke showed against Motherwell that we could use a big battering ram - sadly he's no quite good enough to do it on a regular basis. I like the boys attitude though. Mr Heaton could learn a lot from Cooke and Jones

What's the problem with Heaton ? injured, not applying himself or simply not good enough. Or a combination of these and more ?

7 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
38 minutes ago, Doakes said:

What's the problem with Heaton ? injured, not applying himself or simply not good enough. Or a combination of these and more ?

Doesn't seem interested, every picture you see he's either on his phone or sulking in the background. Not sure what his problem is tbh. Not even playing for the reserves now. Compare to Jones who has forced his way into the first team, great attitude 

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Doesn't seem interested, every picture you see he's either on his phone or sulking in the background. Not sure what his problem is tbh. Not even playing for the reserves now. Compare to Jones who has forced his way into the first team, great attitude 

In fairness most of the reserve side who played our last match was the whole youth team plus Kirkpatrick.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

In fairness most of the reserve side who played our last match was the whole youth team plus Kirkpatrick.

If Heaton was in consideration for the first team he would be in those reserve games alongside Kirkpatrick.