Jump to content

St.Ricky

Saint Mirren v St Johnstone

Recommended Posts

Another 2nd half shocker. Just as well St.Johnstone were as bad. Sucker punch but we let it happen by dropping deeper every time they got the ball. We badly need 5 or 6 players in January whether we get that many I doubt. But a lot of these players are not up for the fight. McGinn brothers played well but all in all poor day. On to Killie on Saturday. Coys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Not many pluses from today's game. Young Erhahon and S McGinn got pass marks. Hammill seems to want to do it all by himself. On at least 3 occasions he passed up the opportunity to give the ball to Paul McGinn but held onto it and fluffing his lines. I'm surprised anyone though Cammy should have stayed on the park as he was completely ineffectual. Although Ferdinand did get his head to a couple of balls I'm not sure he'll be missed as much as some think. He is still far too slow. This all said, Saintees didn't deserve all three points as they were as bad as us. To get done by a quick throw in in the dying embers of the game is a wee bit embarrassing though.

 

 

Agree with most of this but... Hammil, can kinda forgive him for greedying it. He clearly has no faith in the rest of his team mates and when you look at the numbers you can see why. He’s much better than all of them and that’s why he’s leaving next week.

 

They didn’t deserve 3 points? Reaching there. Before they scored Lyness made a good save with a tip over the bar, Ethan almost scored an OG and they missed a sitter from 8 yards out. Those 3 were better than anything we created, then they scored.

 

The result was absolutely a fair one.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopCat said:

 

 

 


Agree with most of this but... Hammil, can kinda forgive him for greedying it. He clearly has no faith in the rest of his team mates and when you look at the numbers you can see why. He’s much better than all of them and that’s why he’s leaving next week.

They didn’t deserve 3 points? Reaching there. Before they scored Lyness made a good save with a tip over the bar, Ethan almost scored and OG and they missed a sitter from 8 yards out. Those 3 were better than anything we created, then they scored.

The result was absolutely a fair one.


 

 

 

It really depends on your take. We had as many, if not more opportunities to score but missed them by considerably more or, as I said. Hammill prevented the opportunities by making the wrong decisions just outside their 18 yard box. A miss is a miss, no matter by how much. On the balance of play, and I use the term loosely, we had as many chances to make a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It really depends on your take. We had as many, if not more opportunities to score but missed them by considerably more or, as I said. Hammill prevented the opportunities by making the wrong decisions just outside their 18 yard box. A miss is a miss, no matter by how much. On the balance of play, and I use the term loosely, we had as many chances to make a shot.

 

 

Well that’s a different measure. If your barometer is chances to create a chance then we were roughly equal. We had loads of them, first half especially.

 

One sticks out, i think it was Hodson bursting through the middle with a man over on his right. Correct pass and it’s a one on one. He f**ked the pass and there was no shot and no chance.

 

That was the difference between us and them. When we got in good positions our creative players f**ked it. When they got in good positions they created chances, and then they scored one of them.

 

Hence 0-1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

 

 

Well that’s a different measure. If your barometer is chances to create a chance then we were roughly equal. We had loads of them, first half especially.

 

One sticks out, i think it was Hodson bursting through the middle with a man over on his right. Correct pass and it’s a one on one. He f**ked the pass and there was no shot and no chance.

 

That was the difference between us and them. When we got in good positions our creative players f**ked it. When they got in good positions they created chances, and then they scored one of them.

 

Hence 0-1

 

 

Agreed. And to add a wee bit perspective the boy Watt is probably on about 6 grand a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would very much doubt Watt is on that figure they barely get 3000fans coming in apart from games with the Old Firm granted they are a well run club. I was so sure we would get a result here especially after the boy Kennedy was subbed.We lost because of the poor use of subs and our inability to manage the final fifteen.The replacement of Cammy with Flynn was shocking.I like Oran and I wish him well but he has to learn fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

If so how do they afford that based on their home crowds?

I'm guessing but I bet he doesn't come cheap. St Johnstone have Geoff Brown as owner, a lot of non football income from the corporate side and umpteen years in the top flight. January will be interesting as we will need to splash the cash to get in guys good enough to make the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I would very much doubt Watt is on that figure they barely get 3000fans coming in apart from games with the Old Firm granted they are a well run club. I was so sure we would get a result here especially after the boy Kennedy was subbed.We lost because of the poor use of subs and our inability to manage the final fifteen.The replacement of Cammy with Flynn was shocking.I like Oran and I wish him well but he has to learn fast.

What does he need to learn that we don’t have any quality on the bench.

Cammy wasn’t that great tbh anyway imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

I would very much doubt Watt is on that figure they barely get 3000fans coming in apart from games with the Old Firm granted they are a well run club. I was so sure we would get a result here especially after the boy Kennedy was subbed.We lost because of the poor use of subs and our inability to manage the final fifteen.The replacement of Cammy with Flynn was shocking.I like Oran and I wish him well but he has to learn fast.

They don't pay big money. They have however built a team over several years. 

I see your point on the subs but felt that. Cammy was running out of steam and the changes were meant to see us gain at least a draw. It didn't work out that way. We switched off for a moment and we're punished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, St.Ricky said:

They don't pay big money. They have however built a team over several years. 

I see your point on the subs but felt that. Cammy was running out of steam and the changes were meant to see us gain at least a draw. It didn't work out that way. We switched off for a moment and we're punished. 

I think they pay pretty decent money. And haven't sacked too many duff manager's or assembled a squad the size of the New England Patriots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, magnus said:

I think they pay pretty decent money. And haven't sacked too many duff manager's or assembled a squad the size of the New England Patriots.

I posted the average wages paid by Premiership Clubs in 2017 on the Forum. 

I agree about the managers. They do select well and they do give them time.

No argument from me either on the size and/or composition of our squad. 

Looking back achieves nothing,  nor does adopting a "woe is me" approach. We are, perhaps surprisingly, still in the mix in a bottom group of 4.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think anyone else has mentioned it but I was sure the throw in that led to their goal should actually have been our throw in.

Would like to see it again but I was sitting right in front of it and I think that may have been a reason why our players weren’t switched on when it came back into play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't get my head around those thinking we were worthy of any points today, we were dreadful from start to finish. Found ourselves at 0-0 with 15 to go after they managed to miss sitter of the season and yet we could not be less interested in trying to push for a goal. Got exactly what we deserved for half arsedly sitting in. Formation was effectively 3-6-1 and it was clear that nothing was sticking up front right from the start but OK did nothing to change it. Major surgery required in January!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, VivaLaDron said:

I can't get my head around those thinking we were worthy of any points today, we were dreadful from start to finish. Found ourselves at 0-0 with 15 to go after they managed to miss sitter of the season and yet we could not be less interested in trying to push for a goal. Got exactly what we deserved for half arsedly sitting in. Formation was effectively 3-6-1 and it was clear that nothing was sticking up front right from the start but OK did nothing to change it. Major surgery required in January!

With no Cooke, there was little option to change things up top. You can get the frustration on this coming from the manager, going by his post match comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One big reason fir onky managing one weak attempt on target is the fact we persist in fielding midgets up front, then get pissed off when none of them can physically dominate to get a header away. Every cross from Hammil or P McGinn yesterday was two foot above our forwards reach.

i have no idea how, or if, Oran can recruit the type and number of players we need to improve. Added to that if say all the loanees go, as well as big Anton (who waved tattie bye at every individual fan) and Hammil then we've lost our back line, regular keeper and top scorer!

i worry the likes of Alfie Jones will ask his club to call him back early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

i worry the likes of Alfie Jones will ask his club to call him back early.

Why would he do that if he’s getting regular games, something he won’t get at Southampton? Also, what would it show of his mentality if he would want to pull out of a relegation fight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

Why would he do that if he’s getting regular games, something he won’t get at Southampton? Also, what would it show of his mentality if he would want to pull out of a relegation fight?

Could be he'd rather take the option of being on the fringe of a EPL first team squad as opposed to possible relegation up here? Which would you choose if you were a young, highly paid footballer trying to keep your CV looking positive? Alfie will go on to better things, we are only at the start of his journey.

I would love him to stay till the season end, if he went too i cant  see us being able to recruit two good centre backs in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, another opportunity to scrape a point lost.

Some decent post match assessments on here and I agree that whilst it was a decent perfotmance we were never going to score.

I thought the team looked worse after Flynn came on and whilst the fakes did look like they were recovering from an excess of festive cheer they were the only team that looked like winning.

That said it was a cruel blow to lose the goal so late.

On the plus side we're still in it and I got a night in Paisley because of the train chaos. After too many pints in the Howf and an excess of curry in Moss St I feel as lethargic as a fakes player.

Feck that was definitely a missed opportunity.

See you all Sat for a doing at Kilmarnock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Could be he'd rather take the option of being on the fringe of a EPL first team squad as opposed to possible relegation up here? Which would you choose if you were a young, highly paid footballer trying to keep your CV looking positive? Alfie will go on to better things, we are only at the start of his journey.

I would love him to stay till the season end, if he went too i cant  see us being able to recruit two good centre backs in January.

If he’s only just started getting games for us, he’s hardly going to be a fringe player at Southampton :lol: it’ll be straight back into the U23s. He’ll develop better here playing against adults than fellow kids.

Clubs are going to look at the individual, not just look at him and say “oh he got relegated with St Mirren, he must be shite”. Jordan Pickford was part of a Sunderland side leaking goals all over, but bigger clubs could see that was more down to a shite team as a whole, and Pickford himself stood out as a good player. How much do you think Paul Dummett benefitted from being with us for a whole season? To ask for a return when getting games here would be to say, I haven’t got the bottle to deal with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

If he’s only just started getting games for us, he’s hardly going to be a fringe player at Southampton :lol: it’ll be straight back into the U23s. He’ll develop better here playing against adults than fellow kids.

Clubs are going to look at the individual, not just look at him and say “oh he got relegated with St Mirren, he must be shite”. Jordan Pickford was part of a Sunderland side leaking goals all over, but bigger clubs could see that was more down to a shite team as a whole, and Pickford himself stood out as a good player. How much do you think Paul Dummett benefitted from being with us for a whole season? To ask for a return when getting games here would be to say, I haven’t got the bottle to deal with this.

When Anton is off then it would be remiss of Jones not to consider how that affects him, the clamour by some on here to ditch anyone signed by Stubbs cant but have an affect on a young player, and why should he have to shoulder the burden of the board's clusterf**k?

like i said, I hope he stays, we need some stability especially in the back line, i would however understand if he got himself recalled. Peopke really need to think through what they are wishing for.

i agree with your examples, thats why like Pickford and Dummett there will be interest at his own and other clubs in young Alfie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...