New Revenue Streams

melmac

43 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

We'd have to move or accommodate the floodlights and the two behind the goals stands are roughly the same size, howver the east and west stands are pretty different.  there wouldn't be a neat solution that would maximise the space.  I'm pretty sure each corner area could possibly hold an extra 200 seats each and we need to keep at least one corner open

As regards the proposal to look for concerts to fill the ground in the summer, there are many big concerts in the city at this time and the Hydro would house roughly 150% of what we could squeeze in to the SDA, leaving us with very few suitable events to bid for.

whoever approved the final designs of the stadium really closed out the prospect of making extra money from events

You have a far better understanding of this kinda stuff than me tbh.

That last point is just typical tbh.

Did you actually read what I wrote? 
Essentially,  I said that I have reservations about this idea and promulgated a couple of triggers,  not at all unlike,  the approach you suggest. 
It makes sense to read what others write and in context before replying.
I read it, perhaps you didn't as you are calling for a build to be rented out to change your mind.
Still if you can get your mind changed...

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

We'd have to move or accommodate the floodlights and the two behind the goals stands are roughly the same size, howver the east and west stands are pretty different.  there wouldn't be a neat solution that would maximise the space.  I'm pretty sure each corner area could possibly hold an extra 200 seats each and we need to keep at least one corner open

As regards the proposal to look for concerts to fill the ground in the summer, there are many big concerts in the city at this time and the Hydro would house roughly 150% of what we could squeeze in to the SDA, leaving us with very few suitable events to bid for.

whoever approved the final designs of the stadium really closed out the prospect of making extra money from events

We would be able to compete with the Hydro on cost.

I should also point out that the acousticcs in the Hydro are terrible.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

The final approval was by Gordon Scott!  Who also promised he would bring in New business streams to improve our turnover, remember the cafe he was going to introduce!

47 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

You have a far better understanding of this kinda stuff than me tbh.

That last point is just typical tbh.

a lot of the costs were made public at the start of the project to build the new stadium.  the basic cost of building was put at roughly £1000 per seat based on the safety features and facilities that would be require.  Money was saved by not putting in  extra catering and toilets at the away end even thought the stadium design was for the north end of the west stand to house away fans and maximise the available seats.  By not putting the facilities in, they created a need for empty seats in the west stand to allow for segregation and it's generally accepted that it is all but impossible to sell the stadium out without inconveniencing the home support to a very high degree.

Having the same number of seats as we have now, but in only 2 main stands, was seen as the cheapest way to build the new ground, however supporter's views were that there needed to be 4 stands to create an atmosphere.

My preferrence for the stadium was for 3 stands and a separate building at one end for indoor sports facilities, leaving ample space behind the north goals for stages for open-air gigs which could have allowed up to 16000 people to attend.

The stadium was built with the intention of satisfying the wishes of the core support and does not lend itself to accommodating other types of events

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We would be able to compete with the Hydro on cost.

I should also point out that the acousticcs in the Hydro are terrible.

the big drawback for stadium gigs is the sound and lighting control centre that goes in the middle of the pitch.  it takes out a wedge of prime spectator area and in a stadium of our size that is a fatal flaw.  this really needs to be designed in for the sake of the spectator experience

The acoustics at the hydro are poor but better than in a stadium, the hydro also has all of the necessary facilities built-in and stadiums rely on hired mobile units which are usually rank.  the Hydro has a dedicated events team who are experts in sorting out the logisitics, i was talking to the safety manager at the SEC last week and she says the organisers of tours are still a nightmare to deal with, it takes experience and industry know-how to make these events work effectively..  We would likely get our fingers burned.

there is no way we could compete overall with the Hydro and i'd like to see your figures on cost

The open air gigs thing was raised in another thread a few months ago , I pointed out at the time QOTS cited getting these sort of gigs as part of the reason for installing artificial pitch. 

Where are all these open air football stadium gigs ? 

Dont want artificial pitch and gigs on the grass pitch would f**k up the surface .