January Exits

W6Saint

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Going by this board and wider social media, Stubbs appointment was seen as a really good one ?.

Very few dissenting voices at the time.

Not me.

I said at the time that being left with the choice of Stubbs or McIntyre as manager was lazy at best. It would appear now that it was incompetent.

I decided, against my better judgement, to be positive and to back Stubbs and his signings, but eventually had to had to give up on that.

The board made a great decision to bag Rae and made a fantastic appointment in Jack Ross. However they fucked up badly with Stubbs. You win some and you lose some.

The next few months will see whether appointing OK was a good one or not.

That may be true, but Hibs weren’t your average Championship side. Even in a lower league they were still one of the five biggest clubs in Scotland. The odds on Hibs/Hearts/Sevco winning the cup that year wouldn’t have been any worse than some of the lower half SPL sides IMO. The fact Hibs hadn’t won it in so long was what allowed him to ride on the glory. He still finished miles behind Hearts and followed that up by losing to Falkirk in the playoffs a year later, who would eventually get their arses handed to them at Rugby Park. The less said about his Rotherham spell the better.

Still over 100 years you seem like to latch on to all the negative and ignore any good I know what he done and I don’t rate him as a manager at all.

But I’m not going to list all his shite achievements and ignore anything decent he done to have a pop at the board no one expected him to do as badly as he had done many weren’t happy I wasn’t that excited by the appointment either.

It was the first mistake by our current board no matter who is on our board not every st Mirren manager they appoint will be a success.

I really would like to know why we spent 75K on a player only to let him go for nothing less than 6 months later. He was meant to have been being tracked by several clubs when he came to us so surely he could have been put out on loan to see if we could recoup even part of it.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

I really would like to know why we spent 75K on a player only to let him go for nothing less than 6 months later. He was meant to have been being tracked by several clubs when he came to us so surely he could have been put out on loan to see if we could recoup even part of it.

I have some sympathy with your view Lucy. 

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

PDE Article mentions sitting down with Hammill and Lyness to discuss terms but (unless I missed it) not Anton F.

I seen Div saying on twitter that he is actually contracted till end of the season, but has a break clause in January that he can leave if he chooses too.

5 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Disasterous recruitment policy. Our board shoulder ultimate responsibility.

I don't remember the board being given the lion's share of the credit for a recruitment policy which saw us run away with the Championship title last season. PS Jack Ross's January 2018 window is part of the reason we are in the mess we are in just now... Ryan Flynn, Danny Mullen have a couple of years left on their deals, Hippolyte was another January signing last season. I think Jack was so focused on winning the championship that he didn't sign any players this time last year with a view to helping us step up to premiership football even though we had a healthy lead and looked a good shout for 1st or 2nd place by then.

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Plus we will likely have to pay him off to move somewhere else on less wages!

44 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I don't remember the board being given the lion's share of the credit for a recruitment policy which saw us run away with the Championship title last season. PS Jack Ross's January 2018 window is part of the reason we are in the mess we are in just now... Ryan Flynn, Danny Mullen have a couple of years left on their deals, Hippolyte was another January signing last season. I think Jack was so focused on winning the championship that he didn't sign any players this time last year with a view to helping us step up to premiership football even though we had a healthy lead and looked a good shout for 1st or 2nd place by then.

DOP. My view is that,  yes,  we invested heavily to win the Championship.  Ross was given lots of support.  In return he landed Promotion. Thereafter his attention was on moving his own career forward rather than the club.  Our recruitment strategy fell apart (other than signing Paul MCGinn).  The rest is well covered by many posters.  The BOD have acknowledged their mistakes and have restructured the club to avoid a repeat.  We still have cash but there will also be a price to pay for the mistakes made.  That's business.  Screw up and it costs. 

I would be disappointed if Heaton was not considered to go out on loan as an option rather than only told he is free to leave, purely down to what we have invested in him on a 3 year contract. His attitude either stinks or he is just not up to this level.

I'd have thought a loan deal till end of season with a championship club to get him up to speed, though hes clearly lost any faith from our management. 

With regards to Kpekawa, he had a similar situation when Barnsley signed him for 500k a couple of years ago. Handful of games then contract terminated.

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I'm quite sure that Flynn in particular was signed as a player who would absolutely make the step up and most of us felt this was the case at the time.

The fact that he hasn't looked a premiership player at any point in his time with us is bitterly disappointing but he was definitely signed with one eye on this season.

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm quite sure that Flynn in particular was signed as a player who would absolutely make the step up and most of us felt this was the case at the time.

The fact that he hasn't looked a premiership player at any point in his time with us is bitterly disappointing but he was definitely signed with one eye on this season.

I think it's reasonable to think that Ross (had/would have) underestimated the ability required in the top flight. Flynn, Mullen, Kellerman are all not up to scratch but were clearly signed with this league in mind. In fairness, he also signed a fair few players who weren't good enough for the Championship.

50 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I would be disappointed if Heaton was not considered to go out on loan as an option rather than only told he is free to leave, purely down to what we have invested in him on a 3 year contract. His attitude either stinks or he is just not up to this level.

I'd have thought a loan deal till end of season with a championship club to get him up to speed, though hes clearly lost any faith from our management. 

I think it has to come down to attitude. Jones and Cooke were both bombed out to the reserves, but have shown the right attitude and worked their way back in.

I don't believe that he's really *that* bad a footballer. He's young, he's a centre half, he's been in the game for years... If his attitude was right you'd imagine he could be coached.

17 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I think it's reasonable to think that Ross (had/would have) underestimated the ability required in the top flight. Flynn, Mullen, Kellerman are all not up to scratch but were clearly signed with this league in mind. In fairness, he also signed a fair few players who weren't good enough for the Championship.

I think it has to come down to attitude. Jones and Cooke were both bombed out to the reserves, but have shown the right attitude and worked their way back in.

I don't believe that he's really *that* bad a footballer. He's young, he's a centre half, he's been in the game for years... If his attitude was right you'd imagine he could be coached.

I'm just speculating, though I'd imagine from the players who were sent to train separately from the first team, a few haven't reacted well to it as you can imagine. As you say, Jones and Cooke and at the latter stages, Willock worked their way back through hard work and the right attitude to Knuckle down.

Stubbs' poor management of recruiting so many players left us in a difficult position to have a manageable amount of first teamers to coach possibly leaving a split in the camp.

Heaton is possibly a player who hasn't reacted well/had the right attitude to deal with working his way back. His transfer fee maybe gave him hope as much as we had that he would be in the first team without question. Worrying that Stubbs decided early on he wasn't ready.

7 hours ago, stlucifer said:

If you don't have an answer to my query then why quote me Pricky? You really are a  sad little man.

I'm not entirely sure that you have read what I wrote since you now seem happy to argue with yourself.

As a matter of fact or rather facts. One..I'm actually a pretty happy guy. Two. .Small I am not. Whether you are happy,  sad or merely misguided, I know not.

Whether you are tall or small, I know not. I do know that you don't seem to be very full of Christmas Spirit. Me..I am. A win at Motherwell on Saturday and a late and narrow defeat on Saturday have bolstered my spirits. 

Back to the point. You raise some valid questions but they will go unanswered. Screw up comes to mind as the most appropriate comment on this particular saga. They happen. You move on.

Edited by St.Ricky

2 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Jack Ross played in the premiership for a few seasons as a player, and had played several premiership teams in the cups and friendlies during his time with us as manager. If he is such a brilliant young manager I don't see why he would under-estimate what was needed player-wise for a team in the premiership, especially when he had been a youth team coach at a club the size of Hearts.

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:
8 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Plus we will likely have to pay him off to move somewhere else on less wages!

You two should get a room!  B)

On 12/28/2018 at 10:45 AM, djchapsticks said:

Heaton will surely go down as the worst piece of incoming business ever done by the club. 

Added incoming as of course sacking Fergie and letting Paul Lambert go for heehaw are worse. 

At a guess, these three must have cost us upwards of about £200k all things considered

I would agree with that. 

I can't recall another time when we paid a fee, for the player not to even break into the team. 

If we pay a fee again, it can ONLY be for someone who is likely to start more often than not. Someone established. 

Heaton was a big risk that a club of our size shouldn't be taking. 

9 hours ago, John Gotti said:

I wonder if Jim Kellermann will get offloaded as well, IIRC he is on a 2 year deal.

Not sure how hes getting on at Fylde though you would have to imagine if he isn't a standout in that league then he will most likely be added to the list of departures. I feel for him, as he was one of very few who were genuinely never given an opportunity. Ironically a player from non-league English football and Stubbs snubs him. Maybe something to do with Jack Ross signing him?