January Exits

W6Saint

Like i said, it will cost SMFC dearly to get rid of him. He is on a good wage and seems happy to keep picking it up until the club buy him out, or his contract expires. All this waffle about ten leaving is pure fantasy. Who in their right mind is going to walk away from a well paid contract for less money elsewhere?
it just ain't happening 

Steven Davis allegedly

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Like i said, it will cost SMFC dearly to get rid of him. He is on a good wage and seems happy to keep picking it up until the club buy him out, or his contract expires. All this waffle about ten leaving is pure fantasy. Who in their right mind is going to walk away from a well paid contract for less money elsewhere?

it just ain't happening 

I think the ten leaving probably includes the loanees that have been sent back since OK took charge. If that's the case, 3 loanees have departed, Kirkpatricks gone and King, Kpekawa and Heaton told they can leave. I know the latter 3 are  still to leave, though that would make 7 with some other fairly obvious ones not announced, still to go, whether that is on loan or permanently.

Edited by kevo_smfc
Grammar

8 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I think the ten leaving probably includes the loanees that have been sent back since OK took charge. If that's the case, 3 loanees have departed, Kirkpatricks gone and King, Kpekawa and Heaton told they can leave. I know the latter 3 are  still to leave, though that would make 7 with some other fairly obvious ones not announced, still to go, whether that is on loan or permanently.

Aye, but there is a popular misconception that they are mainly all being replaced, and that wont happen. Personally i think we may bring in a maximum of three players who could go straight into the first team squad. Beyond that would be taking another gamble on if they are all up to it, or not. A lot was made of the numbers Ross brought in two Januarys ago, but a fair few of those sank without trace.

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Aye, but there is a popular misconception that they are mainly all being replaced, and that wont happen. Personally i think we may bring in a maximum of three players who could go straight into the first team squad. Beyond that would be taking another gamble on if they are all up to it, or not. A lot was made of the numbers Ross brought in two Januarys ago, but a fair few of those sank without trace.

Agree in terms of most likely not replacing with same numbers departing. Oran did say he would prefer to work with a squad of 21/22 including youngsters coming through.

Edited by kevo_smfc

18 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Added to your 7 are Samson who is already away too... perhaps Hammill and Ferdinand...  then other f offs like Smith, Flynn, McShane, Edwards and Eckersley and possibly Rodgers  (16 tops)

The clear out will hit double figures - watch and see … next week things will start to become clearer...

If 10 or more go there will be serious attempts to bring in 5 or 6 for sure...

What we need is  :-

1. Goalkeeper   to replace Rodgers if he goes

2. LB Tall strong energetic and talented

3. CB to replace Ferdinand if he does not stay

4. RM of some serious ability to play in front of P Mc Ginn

5. CM with dig, creativity and goal scoring ability in beside S McGinn 

6. LM with speed, the ability to cover back well and a real eye for the opposition goal (like 4 above)

7. F who has all the attributes (tall for headers, killer instinct etc) and more for this level to play up with Jackson

8. Flying winger who can beat people for fun, cross it accurately and score a few too.

Get 16 out and 8 in who fit the bill above and we will march up the table - hoping that we don't get too many injuries or suspensions.

So which of these 8 would be your main priorities? What if we can only get 5 etc. ?

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

What we need is  :-

1. Goalkeeper   to replace Rodgers if he goes

2. LB Tall strong energetic and talented

3. CB to replace Ferdinand if he does not stay

4. RM of some serious ability to play in front of P Mc Ginn

5. CM with dig, creativity and goal scoring ability in beside S McGinn 

6. LM with speed, the ability to cover back well and a real eye for the opposition goal (like 4 above)

7. F who has all the attributes (tall for headers, killer instinct etc) and more for this level to play up with Jackson

8. Flying winger who can beat people for fun, cross it accurately and score a few too.

Get 16 out and 8 in who fit the bill above and we will march up the table - hoping that we don't get too many injuries or suspensions.

So which of these 8 would be your main priorities? What if we can only get 5 etc. ?

There shouldn't be any if around Rodgers, remarkably he has overcome very tough competition to be the worst ever goalkeeper to wear a St Mirren jersey.

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

There shouldn't be any if around Rodgers, remarkably he has overcome very tough competition to be the worst ever goalkeeper to wear a St Mirren jersey.

I fully agree - it is a no brainer for me - but I am not sure what the contract terms are to offload him  and with all the other activity, this position might be the least important of the 8 I have listed as Lyness looks good so far. But if he got injured a better back up would be very wise.

29 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Added to your 7 are Samson who is already away too... perhaps Hammill and Ferdinand...  then other f offs like Smith, Flynn, McShane, Edwards and Eckersley and possibly Rodgers  (16 tops)

The clear out will hit double figures - watch and see … next week things will start to become clearer...

If 10 or more go there will be serious attempts to bring in 5 or 6 for sure...

Can't believe I missed out Sammy.

With regards to the others you mentioned, not getting much game time at the moment, so would make sense and more realistic of being players moving on.

People seem to forget Lyness is still not contracted past this month. Right now Rogers is the only guaranteed keeper to be here past the deadline (excluding youth). It’s a matter of penning Lyness in for longer + 1 more keeper, or signing 2 new keepers before we can think of offloading Danny.

24 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

People seem to forget Lyness is still not contracted past this month. Right now Rogers is the only guaranteed keeper to be here past the deadline (excluding youth). It’s a matter of penning Lyness in for longer + 1 more keeper, or signing 2 new keepers before we can think of offloading Danny.

Yeah you are right, but Lyness signing a contract as our present No.1 is a good gig for him - a month or so ago it would not have been

Guest TPAFKATS
But unused?
But in all fairness, nearer to the first team than I thought
Was really looking forward to seeing Heaton play, was hoping for an ICT type player   a sort of cross between Warren and Draper. 
Mid table championship ??? Has to be better than that or he can forget it. Don't grasp this ICT love-in some have on here. Anyone playing in their current team are probably not good enough at our level.
Warren and Draper were top league players in a successful trophy winning Inverness team.

31 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Newton probably wouldn’t be any worse than what we have in midfield (minus  S.McGinn and Magennis, and probably Erhahon too when he actually plays there).

We don't need any players who are not any worse than what we have already - surely we need players who are much better...:guinness

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Newton probably wouldn’t be any worse than what we have in midfield (minus  S.McGinn and Magennis, and probably Erhahon too when he actually plays there).

Last I heard Newton was playing for Hartlepool in the National League. I thought he had potential when with us but it's not worked out for him since, I think we'll be looking at a higher level of player this window.

IMO, Newton would be an improvement on most of what we have available at present in the middle of the park. Bar the odd game, McGinn does not look like he has the legs for this league; happy if would prove me wrong. 

Think he’s proved you wrong in the last two games he hasn’t deserved to be on the losing side was our best player by some distance imo

1 hour ago, melmac said:

IMO, Newton would be an improvement on most of what we have available at present in the middle of the park. Bar the odd game, McGinn does not look like he has the legs for this league; happy if would prove me wrong. 

:lol:

He's been proving you wrong almost every single week.

Lack of ability to watch a football match from some posters on here is incredible.