January Exits

W6Saint

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ahhhhhh. I’ve solved this mystery.

There is a discrepancy in the definitions of “proven at this level”.

You think it’s the above, whilst sane people think it isn’t.

Glad we’ve sorted that all out. 

Yeah, like who wants an unproven striker at this level who can only manage five goals in his last seven games. You are unnecessarily making yourself look silly on this. 

8 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Another great result for smart-arse Heaton tonight. Beaten by the mighty Spennymoor Town.

Thing is, we've got him signed up for another two years after this season. I want him to do well down there so we can at least get a small fee for him.

Yeah, he used the wrong words in that interview, but we still need him to perform.

1 minute ago, Magic Monkey said:

Thing is, we've got him signed up for another two years after this season. I want him to do well down there so we can at least get a small fee for him.

Yeah, he used the wrong words in that interview, but we still need him to perform.

Maybe an unsuccessful loan spell might be the kick up the arse he needs. 

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

With you on this. I want to see him play well there and either work his way into our team or get sold and recoup some money.

I know he sounded quite bitter in the interview but I wonder if there’s more to it. A while back there was a suggestion we only paid 25K and the rest of the fee was add ons. Perhaps he isn’t actually that bad a player, but from our end not good enough to warrant splashing out extra money on. Hence why he hasn’t been on the bench since October. In which case I would completely understand his bitterness. I want to keep an open mind on it until we get some truths on the whole situation. Maybe he’s got good reason to be pissed off. Maybe he is just a knob. I don’t want to judge which one the answer is yet.

Seem to be a few suggestions Kellerman may go back to Aldershot. Not sure how that works with him having played for us and Fylde - unless there's different rules for England or non-league clubs, or the fact he's going back to a club he's played at before in the last 12 months.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Seem to be a few suggestions Kellerman may go back to Aldershot. Not sure how that works with him having played for us and Fylde - unless there's different rules for England or non-league clubs, or the fact he's going back to a club he's played at before in the last 12 months.

I thought the same. I mind a coupel of years ago Morton got stung for this on their signing of Tidser in the January window. Signed him then didn't realise he couldn't play for them till next season!

The team that Stubbs took over finished above Livi in the league. Yes We lost some good players but he should have been able to build on that by bringing in a few better players.
Livi retained the majority of a weaker team than us and their wage structure is smaller yet Stubbs made a complete mess of summer recruitment. Being able to offer bigger wages and SP football, he still never managed it, not a single one.  That is nothing short of a staggering failure for a man that will never again get a job in football management. 
Credit where credit is due to Livi for punching way above their weight but there is zero question that Stubbs had a complete disaster in every aspect of his time at SMFC and that was not down to being left with a poor team.

Stubbs didn’t do a good job.

Not really what I’m talking about though!

We’re only going to be left with 2 of the regulars in the side that won promotion and JR only signed one of them!

Stubbs inherited a pile of shite!

37 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Stubbs didn’t do a good job.

Not really what I’m talking about though!

We’re only going to be left with 2 of the regulars in the side that won promotion and JR only signed one of them!

Stubbs inherited a pile of shite!

Stubbs didn’t inherit anything worse than the majority of teams that get promoted. It wasn’t considerably worse than anyone else bar teams like Hibs, Hearts, Sevco in recent years. 

The fact remains, regardless of your thoughts on what he inherited, it must be close to unheard of for a promoted teams new manager not to sign a single player better than the starter in that position the previous year. 

12 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

we had some good players las year, we also had some shite who, it is now clear, would never have gotten a win bonus never mind a winners medal had they not been fortunate enough to have Lewis Morgan in their team

Was Lewis Morgan not in the team in the days of Tommy Craig, Gary Teale, Ian Murray and Alex Rae? I don't remember too many win bonuses in those eras (outside of Rae's first season) when Morgan was part of the squad.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Was Lewis Morgan not in the team in the days of Tommy Craig, Gary Teale, Ian Murray and Alex Rae? I don't remember too many win bonuses in those eras (outside of Rae's first season) when Morgan was part of the squad.

He was also part of the team that didn’t kick off when JR came in, hence the wholesale changes in January.

Stubbs didn’t inherit anything worse than the majority of teams that get promoted. It wasn’t considerably worse than anyone else bar teams like Hibs, Hearts, Sevco in recent years. 
The fact remains, regardless of your thoughts on what he inherited, it must be close to unheard of for a promoted teams new manager not to sign a single player better than the starter in that position the previous year. 

Apart from Livi.....

Again, your Stubbs signing point is irrelevant because I wasn’t discussing the job that Stubbs did - which wasn’t very good!

As I said, only 2 regulars will be left, McGinn and Magennis.

Now THAT really is unheard of and highlights how bad the squad was that Stubbs inherited.

Probably the worst promoted squad in history!

Regardless of the bad job that Stubbs did, albeit we only got 4 games to find out, whoever took over was going to be up against it!

He was also part of the team that didn’t kick off when JR came in, hence the wholesale changes in January.

Those changes were good enough to keep us up and get us promoted.

JR did an amazing job.

But the fact is that another rebuilding job was obviously required this summer.

Gordon Scott fcuked by by taking ages over the new manager then making it Stubbs!