January Exits

W6Saint

I've been watching Sunderland 'Til I die over the weekend and it's interesting to listen to Chris Coleman talk about his approach to weeding out the 'bad apples' in the Sunderland squad.

It strikes me that he was faced with a somewhat similar task to Oran. Coleman had a lot of players on long contracts that were costing the club crazy amounts of money. He was talking about the damage that it can cause by having the wrong attitudes in the squad. You can see why OK has prioritised 1) reducing the squad size and 2) getting rid of the players who weren't pulling their weight.

As we know, Coleman was unsuccessful in keeping the Mackems up, though he was clearly working under an owner who had lost interest and wanted out. It's a fascinating series for anyone who hasn't watched it - if only for the insight into what it's like trying to bring players in on deadline day when you've got no money :lol:

I'm very much looking forward to the second series now - the Jack Ross factor makes it even more interesting.

Seriously give it a watch if you have Netflix - even if you hate Sunderland, you can revel in their misery.

I reckon there's still a chance of Flynn going. 

Kellermann is in a sort of grey area that no-one really knows if he can play for someone else or not this season.

Rogers will surely be cut short and returned to Aberdeen to rehab.

Apart from that I think we're pretty much done in terms of outgoing.

Still 3-4 to come in as well. Will leave a squad of 22 (not including youngsters)

4 players still on BAWAs leave list.

Cooke - Wouldn't be surprised to see him go but I don't think he's one we're actively working to get rid of.

Flynn - Pretty much out of the picture since being sent of against Well back in October, first start since then on Sataurday and was subbed off first half (for Cooke).  My favourite of the 4 to go.

Hodson - Played every game he's been eligible for, my flabber will be gasted if he goes. 

Kellerman - Signed by JR, moved on by AS B) , back with us now. Can he play for a third team this season? I'd expect OK to give him a chance. 

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

Cooke - Wouldn't be surprised to see him go but I don't think he's one we're actively working to get rid of.

Flynn - Pretty much out of the picture since being sent of against Well back in October, first start since then on Sataurday and was subbed off first half (for Cooke).  My favourite of the 4 to go.

Hodson - Played every game he's been eligible for, my flabber will be gasted if he goes. 

Kellerman - Signed by JR, moved on by AS B) , back with us now. Can he play for a third team this season? I'd expect OK to give him a chance. 

I think we'll keep Cooke, handy as a sub if nothing else! 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, Sweeper07 said:

When are we off-loading KP.

That will be like getting another new signing :fire

It took another week for the above to be finalised - no idea if/what the pay off might be - but any-hoo Thank F.

Off the wage bill (only in part for the loanees though

Since ok came those who are off the wages are  :- 

1. BM    2.  Coulson    3.  Willock    4. Samson  5. Kirkpatrick   6.  McShane   7.  Heaton (on loan only for 6 months)  8. Hammill (sadly)   9.   Jones   10.  Edwards (Hallelujah)

11.  Lyness    12.  King   13.  O'Keefe   14.  Smith    15.  KP      16. Eckersley (on loan till the end of his contract)

Spot on from what I estimated a long time ago . . .  (12 - 16 out)  and Rodgers or 1 or 2 more might still go too.

With only 6  in so far  (not the 2 or 3 because we have spent all our money that a certain posted asserted - ha ha)   

1. Popescu    2. Hladky    3.  Tansey   4.  Lyons   5. Holmes  6. McAllister

We must have budget for the next few signings . . .  but it is quiet today . .  will it be tomorrow?      

Thank Goodness we won on Saturday . . . .   :ninja

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I reckon there's still a chance of Flynn going. 

Kellermann is in a sort of grey area that no-one really knows if he can play for someone else or not this season.

Rogers will surely be cut short and returned to Aberdeen to rehab.

Apart from that I think we're pretty much done in terms of outgoing.

Still 3-4 to come in as well. Will leave a squad of 22 (not including youngsters)

I think we might look for a fee for Flynn if he goes or as part of a player exchange deal. Rogers, I agree,  back to his parent club  for rehabilitation. 

No idea on Kellerman to be truthful. Cody to stay. Hodson position complicated by reported interest from Ipswich and Bolton. 

Agree 3/4 to come in leaving a squad of 22 giving competition for places and providing cover for injury or loss of form. 

21 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I am with you on that my forum friend, my gibbet will be flibbertied on that very point.

Now I must say I am pleased to see thon Cole Kpekewa leave the club.  My goodness that boy was never a footballer, whoever saw him and decided to pay him money to play football at my club needs a slapping around the sack. 

PS Quality quote

I want Cooke to do well but the jury is still out. He looked completely out his depth against Well but did ok against Alloa. Can he continue to improve against Premiership opposition? Hodson has been OK but McGinn is a better full back and Hodson isn't creative enough for midfield. Another decent midfielder or striker in should allow Paul to move back again. Flynn doesn't have the heart for fighting for survival. I'd let him go.

11 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

I am with you on that my forum friend, my gibbet will be flibbertied on that very point.

Now I must say I am pleased to see thon Cole Kpekewa leave the club.  My goodness that boy was never a footballer, whoever saw him and decided to pay him money to play football at my club needs a slapping around the sack. 

PS Quality quote

When did Cole go and where has he gone too? 

1 hour ago, friskysteed said:

Surely Flynn’s time is up. He was a squad player in the Championship and substituted early against Alloa on Saturday. That must have been his last shot at impressing OK

I thought Flynn started well and his running looked decent, a few slack passes though. He might be away but the sub was likely tactical more than anything else.