Jump to content

W6Saint

January Exits

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Heaton will surely go down as the worst piece of incoming business ever done by the club. 

 

Not even close, Manley 300,000- Wishart 250,000 Stickroth 400,000 Christ knows what Archibald cost in wages.  In todays money that would be over 2 million all signed by the same guy who recruited stubbs  

Edited by Iamhammer
To Add also a main reason we sold Love Street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Disasterous recruitment policy. Our board shoulder ultimate responsibility.

Spot on there!

they were happy enough to do a lap of honour after the last game of last season. They need to accept they got it badly wrong and wasted a fortune in compensation, fees and wages. Piss poor leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

Not even close, Manley 300,000- Wishart 250,000 Stickroth 400,000 Christ knows what Archibald cost in wages.  In todays money that would be over 2 million all signed by the same guy who recruited stubbs  

Manley and Wishart both contributed to the first team, though and actually turned out in St. Mirren shirts. OK not to a decent degree but when we paid the money, it wasn't out of the ordinary for provincial clubs like ourselves to be paying a six figure fee for players.

Stickroth was also a decent signing. Not one of our worst pieces of business by a long shot.

 

We spent more on Heaton than we've spent on any other footballer in the last 30 years. We are not a transfer fee paying side any more and yet here we were shelling out and giving a lad presumably a very good wage, nice signing on fee, and spending more money on him than we probably should be on anyone who is not established. And he played two league cup games, against non-league and then amateur opposition.

And that was it. His entire Saints career. 

I'm not saying Heaton is the worst player ever in a Saints shirt, he's one of the worst actual pieces of business though, not even in terms of return but in terms of first team contribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spot on there!
they were happy enough to do a lap of honour after the last game of last season. They need to accept they got it badly wrong and wasted a fortune in compensation, fees and wages. Piss poor leadership.
GLS thought it was easy. Took eye off ball and had arse bitten, badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

GLS thought it was easy. Took eye off ball and had arse bitten, badly.

Would love to know what Stubbs said in the interview that convinced us to hire him.

Since hiring Stubbs, that’s now 6 players either sent back to their clubs or told they can go (until we actually terminate the contract, they will still be our players). Would it have cost us anything to send the loanees back early? How much will it cost if we do terminate the contracts of all 3? How much went on sacking Stubbs and Jackson? And presuming we do terminate Heaton, never mind the costs of that, add in 75K! I never want to admit that there’s a manager out there worse than Tommy Craig after relegating both of my home clubs, but f**k me this makes for grim reading!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DumboBud said:

Perhaps Stubbs will look to recruit these guys again once he is back in management.........

there is a big difference between them being told you are free to find a new club and them actually leaving. 

We could be stuck with them for a while yet. 

Yep in the National League North or South, seems to know a player at that level !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Manley and Wishart both contributed to the first team, though and actually turned out in St. Mirren shirts. OK not to a decent degree but when we paid the money, it wasn't out of the ordinary for provincial clubs like ourselves to be paying a six figure fee for players.

Stickroth was also a decent signing. Not one of our worst pieces of business by a long shot.

 

We spent more on Heaton than we've spent on any other footballer in the last 30 years. We are not a transfer fee paying side any more and yet here we were shelling out and giving a lad presumably a very good wage, nice signing on fee, and spending more money on him than we probably should be on anyone who is not established. And he played two league cup games, against non-league and then amateur opposition.

And that was it. His entire Saints career. 

I'm not saying Heaton is the worst player ever in a Saints shirt, he's one of the worst actual pieces of business though, not even in terms of return but in terms of first team contribution.

Wishart Injured himself on his home debut against motherwell and played only 50 or so games in 3 years we got zero in return Stickrorth scored two goals in about the same number of games over 2 years, Manley was here for 4 years I doubt he played more than 120 games add in the wages and include Archibald and this was far far worse business wise than the 75 grand plus wages for Heaton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Would love to know what Stubbs said in the interview that convinced us to hire him.

Since hiring Stubbs, that’s now 6 players either sent back to their clubs or told they can go (until we actually terminate the contract, they will still be our players). Would it have cost us anything to send the loanees back early? How much will it cost if we do terminate the contracts of all 3? How much went on sacking Stubbs and Jackson? And presuming we do terminate Heaton, never mind the costs of that, add in 75K! I never want to admit that there’s a manager out there worse than Tommy Craig after relegating both of my home clubs, but f**k me this makes for grim reading!

I'd say well over 90% of our support were delighted at his appointment ?

Not a lot of people did their homework on Stubbs including our board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iamhammer said:

Wishart Injured himself on his home debut against motherwell and played only 50 or so games in 3 years we got zero in return Stickrorth scored two goals in about the same number of games over 2 years, Manley was here for 4 years I doubt he played more than 120 games add in the wages and include Archibald and this was far far worse business wise than the 75 grand plus wages for Heaton

Think we can agree to disagree on all fronts. The difference being is that these signings actually played in games.

I'm not saying they were good pieces of business, I'm saying they all contributed more for the money spent than Heaton has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lenziebud said:

I'd say well over 90% of our support were delighted at his appointment ?

Not a lot of people did their homework on Stubbs including our board

Unless you conducted a poll of supporters this is just imagination. I attend games with about 10 others and none of us was over the moon about Stubbs but had no choice but to accept the appointment and back him. But that changed before the League Cup games were even completed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sonny said:

Unless you conducted a poll of supporters this is just imagination. I attend games with about 10 others and none of us was over the moon about Stubbs but had no choice but to accept the appointment and back him. But that changed before the League Cup games were even completed.

Going by this board and wider social media, Stubbs appointment was seen as a really good one ?.

Very few dissenting voices at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I'd say well over 90% of our support were delighted at his appointment ?

Really?

I think from the “Final Four”, any choice was 50/50 in the support. All four were given credit or given the “absolutely not”. Personally I was concerned he couldn’t get Hibs promoted in two attempts. f**k knows why Rotherham hired him. f**k knows why we hired him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I'd say well over 90% of our support were delighted at his appointment ?

Not a lot of people did their homework on Stubbs including our board

Nope. Was never happy with Stubbs and quite a few on here weren’t.

He’d failed miserably in his previous job, and always felt he should have had Hibs promoted given the squad.

anyway, the c**t is gone. More concerned with the future now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lenziebud said:

Going by this board and wider social media, Stubbs appointment was seen as a really good one ?.

Very few dissenting voices at the time.

We weren't dissenting or applauding - just accepting we had no say in the matter and trying to make the best of it by being optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, munoz said:

The 3 players mentioned so far come us no great surprise. Will be interesting to see who follows. 

PDE Article mentions sitting down with Hammill and Lyness to discuss terms but (unless I missed it) not Anton F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I'd say well over 90% of our support were delighted at his appointment ?

Not a lot of people did their homework on Stubbs including our board

There wasn't a lot of homework to do   all you had to do was ask Rotherham fans. That said I wasn't unhappy at the time and believed the hype. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Really?
I think from the “Final Four”, any choice was 50/50 in the support. All four were given credit or given the “absolutely not”. Personally I was concerned he couldn’t get Hibs promoted in two attempts. f**k knows why Rotherham hired him. f**k knows why we hired him...

Winning the Scottish cup with a championship team at the time for their 1st in over 100 years isn’t a bad achievement let’s not kid on he had nothing decent on his cv.

I suspect it will be his only achievement as a manager though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:


Winning the Scottish cup with a championship team at the time for their 1st in over 100 years isn’t a bad achievement let’s not kid on he had nothing decent on his cv.

I suspect it will be his only achievement as a manager though.
 

That may be true, but Hibs weren’t your average Championship side. Even in a lower league they were still one of the five biggest clubs in Scotland. The odds on Hibs/Hearts/Sevco winning the cup that year wouldn’t have been any worse than some of the lower half SPL sides IMO. The fact Hibs hadn’t won it in so long was what allowed him to ride on the glory. He still finished miles behind Hearts and followed that up by losing to Falkirk in the playoffs a year later, who would eventually get their arses handed to them at Rugby Park. The less said about his Rotherham spell the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That may be true, but Hibs weren’t your average Championship side. Even in a lower league they were still one of the five biggest clubs in Scotland.


Indeed, but it also wasn’t your average Championship either as 2 of the other 5 biggest clubs in Scotland were also in the Championship!

So folk can’t have it both ways. You can’t dismiss winning the Scottish Cup whilst in the Championship cos they were one of the 5 biggest clubs and then slate him for not getting out of the Championship when 2 of the other 5 were in the same Championship! Especially when one of those 5 were part of the big 2 and the other was the 3rd biggest club!

And remember, despite being one of the big 5 and despite the gap between Hibs and the OF not being that huge for the most part of a century, Hibs hadn’t won the Scottish Cup in over 100 years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

 


Indeed, but it also wasn’t your average Championship either as 2 of the other 5 biggest clubs in Scotland were also in the Championship!

So folk can’t have it both ways. You can’t dismiss winning the Scottish Cup whilst in the Championship cos they were one of the 5 biggest clubs and then slate him for not getting out of the Championship when 2 of the other 5 were in the same Championship! Especially when one of those 5 were part of the big 2 and the other was the 3rd biggest club!

And remember, despite being one of the big 5 and despite the gap between Hibs and the OF not being that huge for the most part of a century, Hibs hadn’t won the Scottish Cup in over 100 years!

 

I get what you’re saying. For me though, the first season the Sevvies ended up in disarray, and Hearts absolutely smashed the f**k out of that league. Hearts were over 20 points clear of Hibs/Sevco IIRC. That is piss poor IMO from a Hibs perspective, especially in a league with smaller clubs that Hibs should have been looking for 3pts in most games. The second season - Sevco won the league, but Hibs had the playoffs at their mercy and f**ked it up big time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

If I remember right, the deal for Lambert was 250,000 plus Jim Gardner(worst player I ever seen in a Saints shirt) . Could be wrong though. 

Thought it was nearer the £100k, there was though a %50 sell on clause as part of the deal which came to her haw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iamhammer said:

Not even close, Manley 300,000- Wishart 250,000 Stickroth 400,000 Christ knows what Archibald cost in wages.  In todays money that would be over 2 million all signed by the same guy who recruited stubbs  

I was pally with a couple of Falkirk players when we signed Manley and they told me Celtic tried to get him but 

couldn't match St Mirren's offer (the old biscuit tin days), both him and Wishart were pretty sought after players 

at the time, shame they turned to shit once the signed for us..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×