Reality check

DLBud

Yesterday summed up what most seasons in the top flight have been like since the heady days of the 1980’s.

A stuffy team with no pace or cutting edge and few options off the bench to change anything.

Anyone who thinks this will miraculously change in January is kidding themselves on. I’m not saying we’ll go down but it’s going to be a complete shitshow until the end of the season with more days like that and the odd performance scattered here and there.

Forget Stubbs. Has OK really shown us anything to suggest that bringing 4 or 5 in will make a significant difference? He stood on the sidelines yesterday with his entourage of coaches and watched his team drop deeper and deeper as we inexorably sloped toward what we all knew was coming and come it did.

There are too many not cut out for this level and I’m not seeing any signs that we’re on the cusp of fixing it with a few more players.

I’ll still be there at Rugby Park on Saturday and Kearney has my full support but the second half of the season is going to be tough unless he has a better plan to put workmanlike teams like St Johnstone under a bit of pressure, particularly at home.

8 minutes ago, DLBud said:

A stuffy team with no pace or cutting edge and few options off the bench to change anything.

This pretty much sums us up. But that's progress from where we were before OK came. 

You can also add to that, that we have players playing out of position, no aerial threat and no left sided players. 

I think if we can get players playing in their proper positions, get a bit of shape and pace we can compete in this league, but between 6- 8 players required. 

41 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

This pretty much sums us up. But that's progress from where we were before OK came. 

You can also add to that, that we have players playing out of position, no aerial threat and no left sided players. 

I think if we can get players playing in their proper positions, get a bit of shape and pace we can compete in this league, but between 6- 8 players required. 

6-8 of the quality required will be a bit of a stretch IMO. Think we are looking at 3-4 at best. 

I think we will go with a smaller squad but higher quality, depends on how many we can offload

Yesterday for me was an example of how low expectations have fallen among some of our support.

We lost at home to St Johnstone without creating a single decent chance.

Yet there seemed to be a large section of our fanbase who thought we played well.

Amazingly low expectations if losing at home to St Johnstone without even nearly scoring is seen as ‘playing well’.

21 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Yesterday for me was an example of how low expectations have fallen among some of our support.

Yet there seemed to be a large section of our fanbase who thought we played well.

Amazingly low expectations if losing at home to St Johnstone without even nearly scoring is seen as ‘playing well’.

Yip loads of people need to open their eyes. 

22 minutes ago, TopCat said:

St Johnstone have won their last five away without conceding having visited Aberdeen, Hibs, Livi and Motherwell prior to playing us...…..no great surprise that they were difficult to break down, I think what most thought was that we competed quite well against a good, resolute side.

Edited by WeeBud

FFS we've all known for months the team OK inherited was one of "if not the worst" in over 3O years and we've had some 

seriously shit teams in that time, our only hope was to stay in touch until the January transfer window and by some miracle 

we have, on the plus side he's got the team competitive and at least well organised from the total shambles when he took 

over and thank feck he brought in Anton, Jackson and Hamill because they're the reason we've managed to stay with the 

pack........... I'm fully expecting big changes during the TW and I also think Oran will guide us to safety, we 

should just be thankful that we've still in with a great shout of salvaging this season after the fcuking shambles Stubbs

got us into...

Edited by scrappy coco

Can i share with you my thoughts on our performance yesterday?

we were by and large organised, but ineffectual. When your player who suffers acute signs of vertigo if he gets within ten yards of the half way line, is actually the one having most time on the ball! Then you can see why we are ineffective at creating good goal scoring chances.

it seems that Oran has decided S McGinn and our midfield arent to be trusted with holding possession, pulling the strings and starting/recycling moves. It all goes back to big Anton, and opposing teams just wait for the eventual duff pass to intercept and put us under avoidable pressure.

the ball is constantly being played back ten yards further than it should be, meaning all of the opposing team are behind it, and we have to start from scratch trying to get past them all just to get a chance to create openings. Oran has us making it harder for ourselves than need be. Look at how quickly St Johnstone could counter attack us yesterday, but if we thwart their attack, then its a three hour wait as every ball goes back to Anton, who will carefully ensure that nothing 'fast' is going to happen that might necessitate actual running.

teams just have to be patient with us, then pick us off when we are in one of our constant retreats, like the one that led to the throw in and the fakes goal. Call it the 'Lewis Morgan' effect if you will, because sine he went we have lost the ability to move the ball and hurt opponents, as well as giving our defence a breather.

St Johnstone have won their last five away without conceding having visited Aberdeen, Hibs, Livi and Motherwell prior to playing us...…..no great surprise that they were difficult to break down, I think what most thought was that we competed quite well against a good, resolute side.

Jeez you’d think we were playing Barcelona.

It was a home game against a team who were in the bottom 6 at kick off. Exactly the kind of game we need to be winning if we are going to get out of this mess.

Our next four league games are Kilmarnock away, Hibs at home, Celtic away and Rangers away.

That’s the top 3 teams in the country away from home in our next 4 games. Makes yesterday an even sorer one to take.

30 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

we were by and large organised, but ineffectual. When your player who suffers acute signs of vertigo if he gets within ten yards of the half way line, is actually the one having most time on the ball! Then you can see why we are ineffective at creating good goal scoring chances.

it seems that Oran has decided S McGinn and our midfield arent to be trusted with holding possession, pulling the strings and starting/recycling moves. It all goes back to big Anton, and opposing teams just wait for the eventual duff pass to intercept and put us under avoidable pressure.

the ball is constantly being played back ten yards further than it should be, meaning all of the opposing team are behind it, and we have to start from scratch trying to get past them all just to get a chance to create openings. Oran has us making it harder for ourselves than need be. Look at how quickly St Johnstone could counter attack us yesterday, but if we thwart their attack, then its a three hour wait as every ball goes back to Anton, who will carefully ensure that nothing 'fast' is going to happen that might necessitate actual running.

teams just have to be patient with us, then pick us off when we are in one of our constant retreats, like the one that led to the throw in and the fakes goal. Call it the 'Lewis Morgan' effect if you will, because sine he went we have lost the ability to move the ball and hurt opponents, as well as giving our defence a breather.

Agreed that we seemed to go backwards a fair bit yesterday, but I think that’s largely to do with the fact that the Jonnies sat pretty deep with two banks of four.

We just don’t have the pace, or little guile to break that down. While Erhahon has played well, he doesn’t offer much in an attacking sense from the left. We are desperate for some width. 

Unbelievable stuff - The Fakes are a regular top 6 team for the past decade or so and we entered this big boys league in chaos. With this squad, competing against ANY top 6 team is going to be very difficult indeed. OK and the team have pulled out a win against Hearts, and a draw against Tic from the top half - and he has organised a rabble of players who are not at the level of most of our rivals into managing to stay in touch.

Yesterday we nearly grabbed a point and it was sore to lose the game in the last minute, but a 1  v  0 defeat against a team which is equipped so much better than us is no disaster at this stage.

Give OK a break, and let's see how much the BOD back him to bring in much needed improvements - imagine if this guy could get some decent players in (a bit like the 4 he conjured up WHEN the transfer window was closed).

Hope we all enjoy our football more in 2019 and the team goes from weakness to strength...

12 minutes ago, elvis said:

I have been watching us for 46 years and we have been shite way way more than we have been half decent. 

I suppose it's the case with most teams who average 3-4k home fans, and add in a team that never ran up massive 

debt's or had a sugar Daddy bankrolling them, 3 big cup wins and 4 2nd tier league championships isn't too bad.

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Unbelievable stuff - The Fakes are a regular top 6 team for the past decade or so and we entered this big boys league in chaos. With this squad, competing against ANY top 6 team is going to be very difficult indeed. OK and the team have pulled out a win against Hearts, and a draw against Tic from the top half - and he has organised a rabble of players who are not at the level of most of our rivals into managing to stay in touch.

Yesterday we nearly grabbed a point and it was sore to lose the game in the last minute, but a 1  v  0 defeat against a team which is equipped so much better than us is no disaster at this stage.

Give OK a break, and let's see how much the BOD back him to bring in much needed improvements - imagine if this guy could get some decent players in (a bit like the 4 he conjured up WHEN the transfer window was closed).

Hope we all enjoy our football more in 2019 and the team goes from weakness to strength...

We don't know if Hamilt*n will do much in the January sales so safety might come down to who recruits the best between OK and big Jimmy Mcintyre . .

. .and who gets the best results v Hamilt*n. .of course Mothercare could easily get drawn into the trap door section too.  

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think this is happening due to S McGinn having been moved to hold in front of what is supposed to be a back 3 which is an odd set up as the full backs are not providing the width they need to. Seems to be left to Hodson to provide the momentum from midfield. I personally think a holding midfield role is the best fit for Stephen at this level (although probably not with 3 central), he was quite effective but that leaves us really lacking creatively hence why we go back so much. We need to get a creative midfielder to play where Hodson is just now. What hurt us most yesterday were the lack of options from the bench. Smith tired and totally fell out the game but Flynn couldn't get into it. Worse still was replacing Jackson with all we had, Brebner was just bullied out of every touch, nowhere near ready. We had zero out ball and hence we fell deeper and deeper. 

4 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

We don't know if Hamilt*n will do much in the January sales so safety might come down to who recruits the best between OK and big Jimmy Mcintyre . .

. .and who gets the best results v Hamilt*n. .of course Mothercare could easily get drawn into the trap door section too.  

I honestly think we should be the happier of all those 4 teams at this point. 

We are the promoted team where very few of our players were good enough for the top league, then add in the f**k up Stubbs made at the start of the season, so I think the other 3 will be shitting it more than us with the position we all find ourselves in..

3 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Could it be that Oran is listening to Gus too much?? 

Wondered this on Saturday when we were defending corners.  When he first came OK left at least one player up the park to try and get to any clearences.  On Saturday it was everyone in or at the edge of the box (one of Gus's favorite ploys) which meant anthing cleared came straight back.  On the other hand St Johnstone left two men up

The fact is the team Stubbs assembled would have been relegated from the Championship, never mind the Premiership.

Kearney is doing his best to get a team together that is hard to beat.

Of course he is going to bring every man back for corners and free kicks given how poor we were at defending them.

I do believe we will be a stronger outfit come January, the problems are clear to see and Gus has been brought in to help fix that. There will at least be significant movement in the squad.

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

The fact is the team Stubbs assembled would have been relegated from the Championship, never mind the Premiership.

Kearney is doing his best to get a team together that is hard to beat.

Of course he is going to bring every man back for corners and free kicks given how poor we were at defending them.

I do believe we will be a stronger outfit come January, the problems are clear to see and Gus has been brought in to help fix that. There will at least be significant movement in the squad.

Leave the doom and gloom to others. We were promoted. We lost two managers. We are now on our third and yet still in touch in the bottom four in the league. I have the feeling that had Livvy been down here with us then people might not be reacting so strongly. Time to man up on the field and in the stands. Nobody said this was going to be easy.