Sign in to follow this  
Abu Dhabi Saints

Dundee & Paisley

4 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Was in Dundee a couple months back for the evening and it’s definitely much improved. Some good pubs like the Bird and Bear, and then there is a cobbled street with vintage shops, etc. 

Looks like a group of reasonably young and arty folk have grabbed the bull by the horns up there and tried to create something. 

The V&A could be the catalyst if the city maintains it's current momentum to change, and it was no secret it needed change after the disasters of the 90's. 

On it's own the V&A won't carry things forward, it needs a variety of reasons/attraction to keep visitors and business's to invest in the city.

I thought they missed a trick this Christmas to have the, almost, mandatory big wheel with Christmas market on the waterfront at Slessor Gardens.

However I see this location has already got Craig David booked for 2019 (I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, especially on this pensioners forum) who will draw in a younger crowd who will spend plenty of cash. 

The signs are certainly very positive and Dundee has, IMO, already left Aberdeen trailing as a city to visit. 

8 hours ago, melmac said:

Indeed, I suspect no elected (and well paid) members of Renfrewshire Council have the imagination to do anything about the town centre.

What's it got to do with elected members?  They're not innovators, they just approve or reject proposals put forward by officers of the Council.

5 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

The V&A could be the catalyst if the city maintains it's current momentum to change, and it was no secret it needed change after the disasters of the 90's.

I have a feeling the V&A might be a bit of a damp squib.  The place is too small for a start and the permanent design exhibition takes less than an hour to meander through.  Even with an exhibition in the other space (which will probably all incur entrance fees) it is not going to fill a lot of of day.  Then where do visitors go?

31 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

I have a feeling the V&A might be a bit of a damp squib.  The place is too small for a start and the permanent design exhibition takes less than an hour to meander through.  Even with an exhibition in the other space (which will probably all incur entrance fees) it is not going to fill a lot of of day.  Then where do visitors go?

I did say below.............................:blink:

5 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

On it's own the V&A won't carry things forward, it needs a variety of reasons/attraction to keep visitors and business's to invest in the city.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:12 PM, rabuddies said:

What's it got to do with elected members?  They're not innovators, they just approve or reject proposals put forward by officers of the Council.

Officers, such as planners, of the Council dont just come up with work off their own back; it either comes via planning applications; work for internal departments; or work / proposals via elected members / council committees.