Sign in to follow this  
Abu Dhabi Saints

Lottery Win

23 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Just seen a couple from NIreland have won almost £115m on the Euro Lottery.

That's a fair whack of cash, where to start? 

Begging letter. 

8 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Buy St Mirren on a whim and play with the club for a while!  :huh:

That's just daft, nobody would do that. :rolleyes:

Some problems to overcome........................

Who in my family do I give some cash to, where do I stop in the family tree, how much? 

Do I give some to friends, how do you define a friend? 

Who in my family do I give some cash to, where do I stop in the family tree, how much? 
I'm not sure how you do it, mate

12 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

The reality is that you could probably get 2% on deposit somewhere which would give you £2.3m each year (before tax) of interest.

You have to have a whim somewhere along the line other than the new car, new house and a sunny villa in Spain!

28 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

The reality is that you could probably get 2% on deposit somewhere which would give you £2.3m each year (before tax) of interest.

You have to have a whim somewhere along the line other than the new car, new house and a sunny villa in Spain!

I get that but before I get to that stage there are other issues, as I stated above.

The whole "car, house, holiday" phase is reasonably natural, it's a case of how much and how long this goes on for.

Not as easy as it sounds. :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Who in my family do I give some cash to, where do I stop in the family tree, how much?  You can give as much as you wish to the blood (and in some cases the non-blood) relations. However they would have to have good strong family links to the couple and show that the relationship is stronger than just the simple exchanged Christmas Card every year!

Do I give some to friends, how do you define a friend? Those that have been in regular friendly contact with you over the past 5 years. I was once told "if you have one true friend you are lucky, and if you have two true friends you are very lucky, beyond that they would probably just be 'hingers on'!

13 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Just keep a million .Put the rest in a family trust. Get on with life.

Really? When you could cure homelessness in Scotland at a stroke with that sort of money?

Do you see what I mean about the general public not really caring enough to solve the problem?

Personally, I would setup a research foundation with the money and then fund it with the interest.

Edited by oaksoft

26 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Really? When you could cure homelessness in Scotland at a stroke with that sort of money?

Do you see what I mean about the general public not really caring enough to solve the problem?

Personally, I would setup a research foundation with the money and then fund it with the interest.

You read too much into it Oaks.  The family trust would have purposes it wished to support as well as creating employment opportunities within the family. 

Luckily,  None of my immediate family have any great need for capital.  Better to keep the wealth within the family but put the income to good use. 

In that we seem to be of similar mind. 

I'd feck off from this country for 3-6 months, let the dust settle.

Go to places I've never been, see some of the wonders of the world, spreading some of my new found wealth to the poor people.

On my return I'd buy property for my immediate family so they would have a home for the rest of their life.

The younger members of the family would have a trust fund, payable at 21 as long as they have not turned into total arseholes, if so, nowt.

I'd start my own company, small enough investment that, if it went tits up, it wouldn't hurt me.

Give the opportunity for the family to be part of it, if they wished, to allow me to have long expensive holidays in the sun.

I'd give feck all to charity. 

59 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You read too much into it Oaks.  The family trust would have purposes it wished to support as well as creating employment opportunities within the family. 

Luckily,  None of my immediate family have any great need for capital.  Better to keep the wealth within the family but put the income to good use. 

In that we seem to be of similar mind. 

The main benefit of this money is that it buys you a lifetime of freedom providing you don't spunk it on hookers and coke.

Every day you get to wake up and do only the things meaningful to you.

I have a hunch that this bit which terrifies many people. I am pretty sure that most people actually quite like being answerable to someone else and having that person dictate what they do on the whole.

5 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Just seen a couple from NIreland have won almost £115m on the Euro Lottery.

That's a fair whack of cash, where to start? 

As an aside, as far as I can tell there is nowhere they can put their money where it is completely safe. Most of us don't have huge sums so are covered for everything through the financial thingy where £85k is covered per person if a bank goes down. So with all that money will come an unexpected stress - the fear of it all going overnight if the economy crashes. It's funny how sometimes it's less stressful when you have nothing. Of course you need to have experienced both to see that. I think this couple will feel that pressure at some point.

39 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

As an aside, as far as I can tell there is nowhere they can put their money where it is completely safe. Most of us don't have huge sums so are covered for everything through the financial thingy where £85k is covered per person if a bank goes down. So with all that money will come an unexpected stress - the fear of it all going overnight if the economy crashes. It's funny how sometimes it's less stressful when you have nothing. Of course you need to have experienced both to see that. I think this couple will feel that pressure at some point.

There will be pressure, but I'd quite like that kind of pressure. 

There's "pressure" of some sort everyday for most people, this is just a different type of pressure.