Opposition January Signings

Sweeper07

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Our home game against them in a couple of weeks could be the game that makes them realise they are in the shit. Much of course depends on how Ross McCormack does. 

And how we do I n the remainder of the transfer window  - as well as the team gaining confidence with one another...

11 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Isn't it great to have so many meanibgfull games!  I'd rather they were at the other end of the league right enough. 

Personally I'de prefer to be a dozen points clear of 11th and have everyone moaning about the season petering out and meaningless games !!!

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Personally I'de prefer to be a dozen points clear of 11th and have everyone moaning about the season petering out and meaningless games !!!

No way Ayrshire. As the old saying goes.. When the going gets tough,  the tough get going.  This will test our collective character. 

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

No way Ayrshire. As the old saying goes.. When the going gets tough,  the tough get going.  This will test our collective character. 

Give me guaranteed safety any day. It's only character building if you survive the battle - relegation will negate any resolve even losing a close battle may bring.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Give me guaranteed safety any day. It's only character building if you survive the battle - relegation will negate any resolve even losing a close battle may bring.

Can't agree with that first post at all. Being in the shit definitely brings out the character in people. I've got no problem with that.

Can't agree either with your second post. Character building is not about only surviving the battle. Character is built on mistakes and failures more than anything else. If you haven't failed, you really haven't lived.

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

52 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Can't agree with that first post at all. Being in the shit definitely brings out the character in people. I've got no problem with that.

Can't agree either with your second post. Character building is not about only surviving the battle. Character is built on mistakes and failures more than anything else. If you haven't failed, you really haven't lived.

You guys are coming at this from 2 different perspectives. In a way you both have valid arguments.

Yet, first and foremost, staying in the Top League is best for us as a club. Whether we scrape it like we did in the Championship on goal difference or whether we do it by a clear margin.

As the Championship last day survival on goal difference shows - the next season can be radically different. Did that build character etc. yes it did.

However, I do hope we pick up more points and leave the other 2 or 3 teams trailing in our wake. Learning to win at this level more often is something I do hope we take into next season, for with the added experience and further improvements to come it will take us higher... someday maybe getting into the top 6... someday winning cups again etc..

It is an uphill challenge, but we have a very real chance!     :bounce2

Edited by Sweeper07
delete key troubles

We can win Cups no matter what League we are in. 

Had a decent chance to win a Cup last Season, but our Manager couldn't be arsed. 

Had a great chance in 2006, but Gretna cheated their way to the Final. Missed out on a Treble. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Aye it's served us well after all our previous relegations. As a club we have never managed transition well in all it's forms. We haven't learned from previously being in this battle it seems so can't see where your coming from. I'm only talking in the context of our predicament as a football club, think your reading way too much into my post in a broader sense.

22 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Aye it's served us well after all our previous relegations. As a club we have never managed transition well in all it's forms. We haven't learned from previously being in this battle it seems so can't see where your coming from. I'm only talking in the context of our predicament as a football club, think your reading way too much into my post in a broader sense.

Anywhere,  adversity,  when met,  builds character. Unless of course one can't handle the consequences of having tried and lost.  

Historically, We are one of the most successful clubs in Scotland.  Why fear relegation?  Instead., desire success and risk within reason. 

Fall,  learn,  rise again.

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Anywhere,  adversity,  when met,  builds character. Unless of course one can't handle the consequences of having tried and lost.  

Historically, We are one of the most successful clubs in Scotland.  Why fear relegation?  Instead., desire success and risk within reason. 

Fall,  learn,  rise again.

Your quoting the theory it has never worked out like that hence why we have become the archetypal yo-yo team. A club that followed your mantra looks more like Killie, Fakes or Motherwell in league terms. As I said before, as a club we have never managed change well be that change for the better I.e. kicking on after winning a cup / consolidating after a promotion without a constant relegation battle or change for the worse i.e. going straight back up after relegation or management recruitment. A failed relegation battle would not embolden the club, it never has despite what you think.

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Your quoting the theory it has never worked out like that hence why we have become the archetypal yo-yo team. A club that followed your mantra looks more like Killie, Fakes or Motherwell in league terms. As I said before, as a club we have never managed change well be that change for the better I.e. kicking on after winning a cup / consolidating after a promotion without a constant relegation battle or change for the worse i.e. going straight back up after relegation or management recruitment. A failed relegation battle would not embolden the club, it never has despite what you think.

I don't argue with your analysis of the past at all. The past can be a guide but it can also be a drag, When that happens change is ineffective. A bit like dieting..you return to previous habits. The trick is to stick with the changes over an extended period.  That's what St J have done. Can we do it? We have had a change of ownership with another change coming up. That makes it tough to maintain changes until they become the way we do things. Will we be successful,  I don't know. Could we....IMO. .yes.

17 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Nelson scoring and having an excellent debut by sounds of it.

He scored a decent goal, but did not look a stand out from what I have seen in the highlights. Hearts were really poor and a wee bit unlucky a couple of times.

They never look as clinical without Naismith in their team.

Any who - Dee sign another player  James Horsfield (RB/M) from Scunthorpe - no idea if he is any good though?

My assessment of the window is that, initially, we cleared the decks, and were much more successful at doing that than our rivals. Our signings after that looked decent, and certainly better than our rivals. Since then, Dundee have upped their game, signed by all accounts a decent goalie and striker, while Accies have signed an old favourite in the hope it re-ignites them.

I reckon right now, Dundee are ahead of us in business done, with Accies lagging behind. I still think that the next week's business will be important in deciding who goes down - i expect after that Accies will still be lagging behind, as long as we can finish ahead of them I'd take that. Quite fancy the excitement of a play-off.

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

My assessment of the window is that, initially, we cleared the decks, and were much more successful at doing that than our rivals. Our signings after that looked decent, and certainly better than our rivals. Since then, Dundee have upped their game, signed by all accounts a decent goalie and striker, while Accies have signed an old favourite in the hope it re-ignites them.

I reckon right now, Dundee are ahead of us in business done, with Accies lagging behind. I still think that the next week's business will be important in deciding who goes down - i expect after that Accies will still be lagging behind, as long as we can finish ahead of them I'd take that. Quite fancy the excitement of a play-off.

This  ^^^^^

Also I know Well are a chunk ahead of us but they have not done a lot of business.   McCormack is not up to full fitness for sure and the other lad  Ariyibi  seems ok.

In one sense they should be out of our reach, but it is not certain at this point. If we get the right improvements in, and we have enough of them really shinning. . . . :guinness

58 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Pretty decent analysis. Like yourself and one or two others on here,  the final few days of the window and maybe a few days after for out of contract players will be pivotal.  Our goal difference is better than the two above us but Dundee score more goals. That's a danger unless we get a striker in. 

39 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Our problem is we cant beat Accies.... so we must get points in Hibs match . Dundee play Accies in 2 weeks . St this stage its all about momentum

we have Hamilton.dundee and Motherwell at home next

its in our own hands

and our home form is good...and i agree with you...except Hamilton

so many twists and turns to come......we may not enjoy all of them ...but some we willl

i mentioned to a young poster amid the joy of winning the championship.....dont expect victory every week

we are what we are...and we will be what we will be.....

its good innit...been there (as we all have) enjoy the ride...its a nightmare/joy/wish it wasnt us/here we go again/we love winning the championship

all for a one night celebration....which we do well

we will beat Hibs on Sunday...we always do at home 

10 hours ago, saintargyll said:

its in our own hands

so many twists and turns to come......we may not enjoy all of them ...but some we willl

i mentioned to a young poster amid the joy of winning the championship.....dont expect victory every week

its good innit...been there (as we all have) enjoy the ride...its a nightmare/joy/wish it wasnt us/here we go again/we love winning the championship

f**k ME that Wed Rine must of been good last night :bounce2 

18 hours ago, saintargyll said:

its in our own hands

Our next game v Hamilton is away, not till April though.