VAR. Here's a solution

stlucifer

With all the nonsense going around referee's decisions and the constant, and in many cases, justified criticism of their performance, how about this.

We bring in VAR and do away with second, third and fourth referees at games. Have three or four assistants reviewing from a central location on a much lesser fee. The referees in charge of the games don't need to be paid so much either as they don't have the same responsibility. And they definitely don't need to be full time.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

With all the nonsense going around referee's decisions and the constant, and in many cases, justified criticism of their performance, how about this.

We bring in VAR and do away with second, third and fourth referees at games. Have three or four assistants reviewing from a central location on a much lesser fee. The referees in charge of the games don't need to be paid so much either as they don't have the same responsibility. And they definitely don't need to be full time.

Certainly a starting point for dscussion. 

5 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

We'd just need more camera operators. emoji106.png

Even the crappy camera positions we have now would be better than some of the refs and assistants. And clubs like Hearts and Aberdeen suggested they'd assist with finances.  My suggestion would offset the costs and would reduce the "errors".

Why pay extra AND have highly paid, full time match officials? If the refs are bleating about being criticised this is a solution. Bet they won't want VAR at that price though.

3 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Of course they wouldn't, Would you want an automated system in your work place at the cost of your job.

I refer you back to the judgements giving earlier this season in some cases where with the use of several cameras from different angles they still couldn't unanimously agree of someone kicking an oppononent.

Whatever use of cameras, the Referee should only be guided/ supported by these and any operators. No system will be perfect. 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

How many cameras and cameramen would we need though?

If you watch the highlights of our non televised games through St Mirren TV, you can see its a terrible angle, too far away and can tell you basically nothing in terms of fouls committed. This would need to be rolled out for all games and not just the big games.

At a time when we still allow clubs in the top flight to have plastic pitches due to the fact they can make a tiny sum of money on it, we are never going to invest the required cash in VAR. 

Just now, cockles1987 said:

Of course they wouldn't, Would you want an automated system in your work place at the cost of your job.

I refer you back to the judgements giving earlier this season in some cases where with the use of several cameras from different angles they still couldn't unanimously agree of someone kicking an oppononent.

I would say there have been far more poor judgements on the part of the officials.

As for the automated system. Firstly. It's not. There are referees watching the incidents and making clear judgement on them. Nothing automated in that. Secondly.There are refs looking for the assistance of it while still wanting full time status and a hefty wage packet. That's the point I was making originally. IF they aren't being seen to be doing their jobs properly and they want more input then the sacrifice SHOULD be that they won't be paid the same as it wouldn't be the same job they were doing.

1 minute ago, LargsBud said:

How many cameras and cameramen would we need though?

If you watch the highlights of our non televised games through St Mirren TV, you can see its a terrible angle, too far away and can tell you basically nothing in terms of fouls committed. This would need to be rolled out for all games and not just the big games.

At a time when we still allow clubs in the top flight to have plastic pitches due to the fact they can make a tiny sum of money on it, we are never going to invest the required cash in VAR. 

I'm not saying it WILL be introduced. I'm suggesting a way which would make it MORE affordable if there is a cry for it. I don't really want the game sanitised to the nth degree but there are people clamouring for it. I'm playing devil's advocate. (No pun intended).

Football has survived without VAR for an awfy long time.Its the spontaneous decisions that make it such a great game,sometimes the decisions go for you and sometimes they dont.

The penalty at the Burnley game yesterday, which went to VAR as the boy was on his run up, shows just how ridiculous the whole thing has become.

7 hours ago, stlucifer said:

6 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Even the crappy camera positions we have now would be better than some of the refs and assistants. And clubs like Hearts and Aberdeen suggested they'd assist with finances.  My suggestion would offset the costs and would reduce the "errors".

Why pay extra AND have highly paid, full time match officials? If the refs are bleating about being criticised this is a solution. Bet they won't want VAR at that price though.

As far as I know none of the leagues that are now operating VAR have put in place any of the "cost cutting" measures that you have suggested and I don't think the refs will have to put in their objections as UEFA , FIFA  and perhaps most importantly IFAB (who make the rules) will be in like a shot with their red cards.  As for the referees not having the same responsibility They still have the final call don't they?

21 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

As far as I know none of the leagues that are now operating VAR have put in place any of the "cost cutting" measures that you have suggested and I don't think the refs will have to put in their objections as UEFA , FIFA  and perhaps most importantly IFAB (who make the rules) will be in like a shot with their red cards.  As for the referees not having the same responsibility They still have the final call don't they?

Exactly. It’s something to help them, not replace them. It’s like a delivery guy having a bicycle and map, then you give them a car and sat nav. They are still doing the same job but have the chance to be more efficient. Occasionally you’ll get the dodgy sat nav/referee who still gets it wrong, but overall it will be an improvement.

2 hours ago, rabuddies said:

What I am saying is, perhaps they should.

The job has been changed. They no longer do the job on the run.  They can afford themselves the luxury of replays. No longer are they immediate judge/jury on a contentious incident. They have an easier job and a fallback with the central adjudicators. Why should they still be paid excessive fees for doing less?

Referees are being paid exorbitant amounts of money to officiate yet are protected by their peers when they make an absolute c**t of it. They may have the final say but, if Video evidence is introduced, it is not only them that are contributing to that decision. VAR makes it communal.

Edited by stlucifer

20 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Good point

And........................less officials to throw coins at :whistle

22 hours ago, HSS said:

Football has survived without VAR for an awfy long time.Its the spontaneous decisions that make it such a great game,sometimes the decisions go for you and sometimes they dont.

The penalty at the Burnley game yesterday, which went to VAR as the boy was on his run up, shows just how ridiculous the whole thing has become.

Only my opinion of course. Played Celtic in a Scottish cup tie for over I don't know how many minutes , it was a lot at Parkhead to get them a replay. Semi at Hampden The new club back then the old club scored a goal cameras proved did not cross the line. The chances a ref supports one of the old firm is very high. Refs are just like me and you love football , love a team. 

I'm not sure which game you're talking about (Blue Bigots I think) which certainly was a bad decision but to accuse a referee of cheating is just not on.  I've known quite a few referees, mainly when they were working folk like the rest of us, and I've never had any reason to doubt their honesty.  They call it as they see it, in real time, and that is what gets up fans noses, many of whom want and expect the benefit in their team's favour every time.