Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
div

January Arrivals

Recommended Posts

Well we have an exits topic, we may as well have an arrivals one :P

Worth noting the transfer business we did in the much acclaimed window of January 2017 and when the players arrived;

Craig Storie 03/01
Rory Loy 12/01
Pal Fjelde 12/01
Josh Todd 16/01
Billy O'Brien 19/01
Stelios 20/01
Cammy Smith 26/01
Stephen McGinn 27/01
Adam Eckersely 31/01
Harry Davis 31/01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, div said:

Well we have an exits topic, we may as well have an arrivals one :P

Worth noting the transfer business we did in the much acclaimed window of January 2017 and when the players arrived;

Craig Storie 03/01
Rory Loy 12/01
Pal Fjelde 12/01
Josh Todd 16/01
Billy O'Brien 19/01
Stelios 20/01
Cammy Smith 26/01
Stephen McGinn 27/01
Adam Eckersely 31/01
Harry Davis 31/01

Worth noting, for all the knicker wetters, that the players that played the biggest part that season arrived later in the window. Better players tend to hold off making a decision until they know all the options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, saintnextlifetime said:

. .or if Brexit goes Britain's way it might just be about £99.99. .

I'm pretty certain the conversion will be upward as MM suggests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Worth noting, for all the knicker wetters, that the players that played the biggest part that season arrived later in the window. Better players tend to hold off making a decision until they know all the options.

Oh thats ok then.............................

You claiming this from your extensive experience, as a player, coach, agent , manager or bullshitter ?

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Oh thats ok then.............................

You claiming this from your extensive experience, as a player, coach, agent , manager or bullshitter ?

:P

No, it's just a fact. Of those signed early on, Loy was the only one who played a significant role. Smith, McGinn, Eckersley and Davis were all signed in the last five days of the window being open.

You are confusing opinion with fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hendo said:

No, it's just a fact. Of those signed early on, Loy was the only one who played a significant role. Smith, McGinn, Eckersley and Davis were all signed in the last five days of the window being open.

You are confusing opinion with fact.

I wish I could share your optimism.

Unfortunately I'm starting to fear the worst, as we couldn't possibly be as lucky as we were in that transfer window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

No, it's just a fact. Of those signed early on, Loy was the only one who played a significant role. Smith, McGinn, Eckersley and Davis were all signed in the last five days of the window being open.

You are confusing opinion with fact.

Yeah to a team bottom of the second tier ....................its not the same , or the same manager . And they are both facts also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, div said:

Well we have an exits topic, we may as well have an arrivals one :P

Worth noting the transfer business we did in the much acclaimed window of January 2017 and when the players arrived;

Craig Storie 03/01
Rory Loy 12/01
Pal Fjelde 12/01
Josh Todd 16/01
Billy O'Brien 19/01
Stelios 20/01
Cammy Smith 26/01
Stephen McGinn 27/01
Adam Eckersely 31/01
Harry Davis 31/01

Surprising how many turned out to be duds, or just withered away? Only McGinn doing anthing for us, of the othets Stelios, Todd & Davis doing ok where they are..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, barrhead saint said:

I wish I could share your optimism.

Unfortunately I'm starting to fear the worst, as we couldn't possibly be as lucky as we were in that transfer window.

take a chill pill... agents try all the tricks and negotiations can be like a game of poker... I bet that is what is happening with the Smith transfer - who will show their hand first?

Actually we are doing really well on the outs... the ins will start to come in soon.. 2 or 3 by the end of this week, then more next..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Surprising how many turned out to be duds, or just withered away? Only McGinn doing anthing for us, of the othets Stelios, Todd & Davis doing ok where they are..

Jack Ross actually had a very mixed signing record. It's often overlooked. Clearly you can get away with it if you're a gifted man-manager, which I believe he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Jack Ross actually had a very mixed signing record. It's often overlooked. Clearly you can get away with it if you're a gifted man-manager, which I believe he is. 

Don't think there's a manager in history who hasn't made a bad signing at some point. Even the great Sir Alex made more than a few blunders in his time.

He paid over £3m for Djemba Djemba :lol:

Lot of aspects go into a player over and above just pure ability. We've had players who were absolutely terrible with us who have left and done well elsewhere and we've also signed players who were fantastic at previous clubs who turned out to be duds for us.

Players can also struggle to settle which in turn affects their form.

It's not an exact science, although we appear to be using a more statistical approach now in our recruitment than we have done previously to hopefully try and reduce the chance of failure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, div said:

Don't think there's a manager in history who hasn't made a bad signing at some point. Even the great Sir Alex made more than a few blunders in his time.

He paid over £3m for Djemba Djemba :lol:

Lot of aspects go into a player over and above just pure ability. We've had players who were absolutely terrible with us who have left and done well elsewhere and we've also signed players who were fantastic at previous clubs who turned out to be duds for us.

Players can also struggle to settle which in turn affects their form.

It's not an exact science, although we appear to be using a more statistical approach now in our recruitment than we have done previously to hopefully try and reduce the chance of failure.

 

If only we had player that were terrible elsewhere and were great for us. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, insaintee said:

If only we had player that were terrible elsewhere and were great for us. :wacko:

You could argue that Cammy Smith has played the best football of his career with us, after failing to really set the heather on fire at Aberdeen or on loan at Dundee Utd.

Andy Dorman didn't really do an awful lot with his career other than in the purple patch he had with us.

Junior Mendes was terrific for us either side of a terrible spell at Dunfermline.

It does happen, sometimes B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...