January Arrivals

div

Tansey looks to be a good signing as long as he stays fit. Could put some bite into the midfield and, as others have said, help McGinn in there. Credit to OK and/or the others who have found him. Looking forward to more signings and seeing them gel into a team to get us up the league a bit. 

42 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Got a reply from one of my Romanian friends who asked his mates who support Dynamo Bucharest.  He won't be very good for you in defence.  Ok that could come from bitter fans . Not bad at set plays but not in defence.  That came from supporters of Dynamo. 

Maybe your Romanian friends are not aware that Dynamo Bucharest play at a level way above us... and if he can hold down a place in their team, and he does, he should be more than capable of doing well here ?

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Got a reply from one of my Romanian friends who asked his mates who support Dynamo Bucharest.  He won't be very good for you in defence.  Ok that could come from bitter fans . Not bad at set plays but not in defence.  That came from supporters of Dynamo. 

As I am married to a Romanian lady who supports Steaua, Bucharest I feel qualified to respond..

Firstly its Dinamo , the Police/ Govt team who had all the money and were funded even in the communist regime. They are having a very poor season, however Steau who are the Army team as per are in top 2.

There is a lot of turmoil at Dinamo and our new boy is highly rated , however attendances are falling below 5,000 and they need to shift some players. I got Maria to phone her cousin a Dinamo fan last night,

also asked if they had any forwards they wanted shot of :whistle 

Pretty sure we have won a watch here.

Edited by DougJamie

48 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Maybe your Romanian friends are not aware that Dynamo Bucharest play at a level way above us... and if he can hold down a place in their team, and he does, he should be more than capable of doing well here ?

You have absolutely no idea how good the Romanian top flight is! Looking at the UEFA club coefficient, it would seem that Scotland (20th) is in fact way above Romania (29th)! Even the likes of Azerbaijan, Belarus and Kazakhstan are above Romania.  Sure, the coefficient is based largely on Celtic and Rangers' performances, and the rest of the clubs in the league are significantly weaker, but I'm pretty sure you'd struggle to name many Romanian teams outside Steaua, Rapid and Dynamo Bucharest!

There is every chance that the Romanian top flight is dross, and that a club struggling in the Romanian top flight is pretty pap. Let's hope this guy is decent, if he's still coming!

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

You have absolutely no idea how good the Romanian top flight is! Looking at the UEFA club coefficient, it would seem that Scotland (20th) is in fact way above Romania (29th)! Even the likes of Azerbaijan, Belarus and Kazakhstan are above Romania.  Sure, the coefficient is based largely on Celtic and Rangers' performances, and the rest of the clubs in the league are significantly weaker, but I'm pretty sure you'd struggle to name many Romanian teams outside Steaua, Rapid and Dynamo Bucharest!

There is every chance that the Romanian top flight is dross, and that a club struggling in the Romanian top flight is pretty pap. Let's hope this guy is decent, if he's still coming!

Geez

If you want to go by coefficients look a little closer rather than the headlines.

Bar Celtic, Romania have 10 clubs ahead of the rest of our lot. So its not dross compared to us.  Dinamo have been in Europe 5 times in the last 9 years and have a higher coeff than all Scottish teams bar Celtic, and lets not forget the diddy teams Celtic have played in qualifying  .

Think you will find its Scottish football that is dross if you take out Celtic and what Sevco achieved, and lets not forget Progres and Lincoln Imps :whistle

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/trank10-2019.html

37 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Geez

If you want to go by coefficients look a little closer rather than the headlines.

Bar Celtic, Romania have 10 clubs ahead of the rest of our lot. So its not dross compared to us.  Dinamo have been in Europe 5 times in the last 9 years and have a higher coeff than all Scottish teams bar Celtic, and lets not forget the diddy teams Celtic have played in qualifying  .

Think you will find its Scottish football that is dross if you take out Celtic and what Sevco achieved, and lets not forget Progres and Lincoln Imps :whistle

Add in the mighty Birkirkara from Malta who defeated Hearts while you’re at it.

8 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Add in the mighty Birkirkara from Malta who defeated Hearts while you’re at it.

And that Skanky lot that the Sheep got knocked out by a few years back, oh and Hibs losing 7-0 at Home ...............

Scottish football is pish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Disclaimer - I am not professing to know anything about the Romanian top flight!!

However, you posed a question of sorts about naming other Romanian teams which I will respond to. In recent years teams like Cluj (Champion league group stages) and Astra (beat both ICT and West Ham in the yoofa cup) have been prominent. No idea about their current ability/form but reasonable to assume they are still decent. Then going by my more historic memory you had teams like University Craiova and Polyteknica Timosoara who regularly featured in Europe. No idea if those teams even exist now.

My gut feel would be that the top teams in Scotland would probably match up to the top teams in Romania (i.e. games could go either way), but I'd be surprised if the rest of their top league isn't better than the rest of our top league. Comparing the standard of leagues is almost impossible though and ever more impossible to prove one way or another.

BTW....have we actually signed this guy??    

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Geez

Ok then, let's look at the club coefficients - and let's start by pointing out that Romania doesn't have anything like 10 clubs better than ours:

Celtic 68.5

Steaua 61

Rangers 25.75

Cluj 23.5

Astra 14

Unirea 11.5

Vaslui 9.5

Dinamo 9

Aberdeen 7.5

Motherwell 5.5

Timisoara 5.5

Hearts 5

You'll be able to see from the table that almost all of Cluj's points pre-date 2013, half of Vaslui's points are from 2011/2012, Unirea's points are almost all from 2009/2010, half of Dinamo's points pre-date 2011 and all of Timisoara's points pre-date 2011.

This is why Romania is so many places below Scotland in the coefficient, because recent performances are given additional weighting. Steaua apart, no Romanian clubs have done anything of note for years. The Romanian league would seem to be in terminal decline since about 2011.

This guy might turn out to be great, but he could just as easily be gash - the league he is playing in is no guarantee. No need to trump up leagues that no-one on here has ever watched!

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Disclaimer - I am not professing to know anything about the Romanian top flight!!

However, you posed a question of sorts about naming other Romanian teams which I will respond to. In recent years teams like Cluj (Champion league group stages) and Astra (beat both ICT and West Ham in the yoofa cup) have been prominent. No idea about their current ability/form but reasonable to assume they are still decent. Then going by my more historic memory you had teams like University Craiova and Polyteknica Timosoara who regularly featured in Europe. No idea if those teams even exist now.

My gut feel would be that Celtic the top teams in Scotland would probably match up to the top teams in Romania (i.e. games could go either way), but I'd be surprised if the rest of their top league isn't better than the rest of our top league. Comparing the standard of leagues is almost impossible though and ever more impossible to prove one way or another.

BTW....have we actually signed this guy??    

I don't know anything about it either, and wasn't pretending to beyond the little research I did there, but it's annoying when people talk down our game.

I should have remembered Astra - I actually went to that game against West Ham at the Olympic Stadium. Cluj won the league last year but were knocked out of the Europa League by Luxembourgish opposition - Rangers will sympathise... Timisoara and University Craiova both went bust and reformed in 2011 and 2012 - again Rangers will sympathise...

36 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Sandy Clark is a bitter c**t. Still blames Saints for Hearts not winning the league in May 86 despite the fact that it was his team that shat it.

Funny i always blamed his team for bottling it.... agree he is a tosser unemployed one at that

3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

As I am married to a Romanian lady who supports Steaua, Bucharest I feel qualified to respond..

Firstly its Dinamo , the Police/ Govt team who had all the money and were funded even in the communist regime. They are having a very poor season, however Steau who are the Army team as per are in top 2.

There is a lot of turmoil at Dinamo and our new boy is highly rated , however attendances are falling below 5,000 and they need to shift some players. I got Maria to phone her cousin a Dinamo fan last night,

also asked if they had any forwards they wanted shot of :whistle 

Pretty sure we have won a watch here.

Yes I know one was Army one  was Police but you are going back to the communist days. what that has to do with 2019 ? Have worked with Romanian for a good 20 years all the guys I know support ether one of the Bucharest teams like most do in Romania a bit like Celtic Rangers as you will know. As such I sent a messager to ask of our new player. The reply was not good on defence from guys who go and watch Dinamo on a regular basis. Only passing on what bi was told. I'm a St Mirren fan so I want the big chap to be a success.  

Let's wait and see Popescu play before we decide he is keich (or not as the case maybe)!!!

So far we have the word of a few random Romanian in laws and co workers plus some cod interpretation of UEFA coefficients. Only Saints fans could doubt a guy before any of us have ever seen him kick a ball. We sign guys from 6th tier English leagues, we moan. We sign guys from top tier Romanian league, we moan. Every signing is a risk especially in our current predicament. It would be impossible to sign a squad full of players proven in this league so we have to play in the markets we can. We need a good few more bodies, I would expect they are more likely to be from sources more akin to Popescu than Tansey, that's just the way it is unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Sandy Clark is a bitter c**t. Still blames Saints for Hearts not winning the league in May 86 despite the fact that it was his team that shat it.

Without disagreeing with you.  If you were Sandy Clark how would you feel. 

You were probably at Love Street that day,  as I was. 

There was no love between ourselves and Hearts. 

Few of us were sad to see Celtic win the league than day. 

That has got to hurt.