January Arrivals

div

1 hour ago, Irate-Pirate said:

Hope we don't sign any blokes from Cameroon if our previous two acquisitions are the standard they will be (Djemba Djemba and Bahoken) !

I think the problem was that we signed both of them at the wrong point in their career. The former at the end of his and the later while he was immature - he is doing much better these days I believe..

6 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I think the problem was that we signed both of them at the wrong point in their career. The former at the end of his and the later while he was immature - he is doing much better these days I believe..

Bahoken has been playing in Ligue 1 for the last two seasons and also getting into some Cameroon squads of late.

8 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

All the tinkering in the world at the back and midfield will make no difference if we cannot get a regular scorer up front

I think Jackson is capable up there, but just lacks the support. A better midfield will improve things for him at least. He’s got four goals so far, with the right support he can hit 10+.

10 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

All the tinkering in the world at the back and midfield will make no difference if we cannot get a regular scorer up front

No strikers score goals when the supply is cut-off

We created far too few chances - new more capable and creative midfield and a strike partner (possibly signing today) and things will be very different...

I am looking forward to the rest of the season - especially after the turmoil since last summer...

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

No strikers score goals when the supply is cut-off

We created far too few chances - new more capable and creative midfield and a strike partner (possibly signing today) and things will be very different...

I am looking forward to the rest of the season - especially after the turmoil since last summer...

Agree. The addition of a big target man also adds an opportunity to vary the balls played in but quality of passes and Crosses is vital to create good scoring opportunities.

4 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Agree. The addition of a big target man also adds an opportunity to vary the balls played in but quality of passes and Crosses is vital to create good scoring opportunities.

As are runs in behind the defence and movement of the strikers, the angle of their runs and attacking full backs, finding space, losing your markers  etc. etc.

Quality of player, dedicated teamwork and a winning mentality (built stronger by winning more often) are the partners we need..   C O Y S

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I think Jackson is capable up there, but just lacks the support. A better midfield will improve things for him at least. He’s got four goals so far, with the right support he can hit 10+.

3 goals,2 of which were penalties,his average is 3goals a season over the last 6.

Not good enough at this level.

20 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

3 goals,2 of which were penalties,his average is 3goals a season over the last 6.

I take you point - Jackson does not score often enough...  He scored from open play against Aberdeen

Yet, what were our options when OK arrived? BM was sh*t and Mullen was our best option.

Also, even the goal he did score against Well,  which was also from open play, brought in 3 vital points

I think only 1 of his goals which was a penalty this season was against Dungdee and he won the penalty too - 1 point for us, but without it, Dee would have got all 3

He was signed during a closed transfer window and I think he has contributed enough in terms of points won when you consider how little service we have given to our strikers this season.

The real proof of the pudding will be if we get Malec signed and they work as a double act. Personally I don't care if Jackson or Malec are the scorer or provider or share it out - so long as we make loads more chances and score many more goals, and win enough points to keep us in the league.

Longer term, we'll worry about that over the next 5 months...

22 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

4 goals...away to Aberdeen when we got gubbed 4-1, the 1-1 draw at Dundee, the winner at Motherwell and the goal against Killie.

I’m sure only one was a penalty, the goal against Dundee?

It’s not brilliant but he’s our joint top scorer (with Hammill), and he’s proven more reliable than Mullen, Smith or anyone else up top. With better support he will score more goals, hopefully we can find that support this month. Prolific strikers are hard to come by, the only players in our 9 year spell last time who could hit double figures in a season were John Sutton, Michael Higdon, Steven Thompson and I think Andy Dorman managed it too.