January Arrivals

div

4-0 win against Celtic U23s in a bounce game today.
Both Malec and the other Eastern European lad we've got in to have a look at played up front and scored 2 apiece. Other lad is a natural winger who can also play up top.
Lyons was also highly impressive.

Can we claim 3 points for that? [emoji87]

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I never hid that it was anything other than a team of young guys. 

Absolutely no spin on any part of my assessment. 

Sorry for using the word spin - I do not mean that you tried to spin it

Just that what is said and what angle you read into it can be very different...  No offence intended        :cheers

Welcome to all the newbies but I hope this isn't recruiting for recruitment's sake. How the club can gauge how good a goalkeeper is when he has only played four first team games in four years is surprising to say the least.

Our chairman did say they were casting their net wide to get the players and I can see some sense in it as we may not have got the clout or money to recruit what might be needed from the available pool in around the Scottish game.

But does this indicate that our scouting and recruitment system is less effective than our rivals in so much as these isles are concerned? 

Time will tell but there have been other clubs who tried this "foreign recruitment" policy without success.

At the end of the day we need to trust that GM and company have really done due diligence and we are rewarded with results and possible financial gain from sell ons of the players we bring in. Survival, first and foremost, followed by a good return on our investment. 

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Welcome to all the newbies but I hope this isn't recruiting for recruitment's sake. How the club can gauge how good a goalkeeper is when he has only played four first team games in four years is surprising to say the least.

Not only is it surprising, but from posts earlier in this thread it is wrong, erroneous and bollox.

read back...

15 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Our chairman did say they were casting their net wide to get the players and I can see some sense in it as we may not have got the clout or money to recruit what might be needed from the available pool in around the Scottish game.

But does this indicate that our scouting and recruitment system is less effective than our rivals in so much as these isles are concerned? 

Time will tell but there have been other clubs who tried this "foreign recruitment" policy without success.

At the end of the day we need to trust that GM and company have really done due diligence and we are rewarded with results and possible financial gain from sell ons of the players we bring in. Survival, first and foremost, followed by a good return on our investment. 

This has now been shown to be untrue - see earlier input into this thread

13 minutes ago, antrin said:

Not only is it surprising, but from posts earlier in this thread it is wrong, erroneous and bollox.

read back...

Guilty of believing the beeb. As Jim Diamond said, I should've known better.

That said. I am still hoping this experiment works better than the Stubbs' one.

Edited by stlucifer

48 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Sorry for using the word spin - I do not mean that you tried to spin it

Just that what is said and what angle you read into it can be very different...  No offence intended        :cheers

:happyclapper If we all took that attitude, we would get on better.   Should we be so lucky. :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

So far it's looking like this is going to be a good transfer window. OK has achieved the mini clear out he was looking for and brought in 3 so that's good business so far although the test will obviously be when we start playing again with all these new players.

Not sure it is a mini clear out - 15 have gone. It has been amazing how well they have done on this, and there are still others who I am sure they would want out - KP, and possibly Flynn.

At least 3 more in early next week... happy days... good pro's will build a new team together and with this management, I think we will all be a whole load cheerier...

30 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

How many first team games has big Lavvie actually played this season and last?

9 this season.

And I actually saw him in one of them. ***1-1 draw with Bohemians Prague back in August***

Can't say I really paid much attention to him. I follow Bohemians over here.

But, that probably is not a bad thing if a Goalie doesn't catch your eye.  ie, he didn't make any blunders.

From what I read over here, he was always the back up keeper. N'Guyen is there number one. 

Hladky was at Liberec for 4 seasons.

9 matches this season (Lost his place when N'Guyen came back from injury)

17/18     15 games

16/17      2 games

15/16       5 games

https://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/fotbal-1-liga-rocnik-2018-19/342727/sestrih-liberec-bohemians-1-1-hoste-vedli-a-neuznali-jim-mylne-gol.html

Here is a link to the match I was at. Just scroll down through the match report and press play on the video. (First video is the full highlights)

A couple of decent saves from Hladky. Make your own mind up about the goal. I think he didn't do too much wrong though.

Also, a certain Milan Baros was his team mate a couple of seasons ago (16/17)

Edited by Prague Buddie

7 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

9 this season.

And I actually saw him in one of them. ***1-1 draw with Bohemians Prague back in August***

Can't say I really paid much attention to him. I follow Bohemians over here.

But, that probably is not a bad thing if a Goalie doesn't catch your eye.  ie, he didn't make any blunders.

From what I read over here, he was always the back up keeper. N'Guyen is there number one. 

Hladky was at Liberec for 4 seasons.

9 matches this season (Lost his place when N'Guyen came back from injury)

17/18     15 games

16/17      2 games

15/16       5 games

Also, a certain Milan Baros was his team mate a couple of seasons ago (16/17)

Not a bad appearance rate in recent times for a Czech top flight team rated at a similar level to Everton in the UEFA rankings.

I'm sure the 'keepers that are playing for our competitors haven't been playing as regularly as at this level.