January Arrivals

div

A lot of people are pinning their hopes on players unproven at this level, I hope we survive tomorrow and in this league.

And the other teams around us have signed a raft of proven premiership players ?
We are where we are bud and we must give the new players the opportunity to prove themselves .
Dundee and Hamilton are down beside us despite having the nucleus of teams filled with players with premiership experience.

15 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

And the other teams around us have signed a raft of proven premiership players ?
We are where we are bud and we must give the new players the opportunity to prove themselves .
Dundee and Hamilton are down beside us despite having the nucleus of teams filled with players with premiership experience.

All still to play for.  

I have faith in Kearney’s signings here.

He knows what Lyons is about. He will know his strengths and weaknesses from the Coleraine days. He’s had 3/4 months of seeing the standard of the Premier League. He’s also seen us playing the likes of Ryan Edwards and Ian McShane. To allow those two to go and bring in Brad, he must certainly believe Brad is an improvement and he’s best placed to assess that. Someone in the club (possibly McManus) May have suggested Kyle, and I doubt they’ve brought him in without checking his efforts for Derby U23s. Unlike Stubbs who had to make quick deals due to coming in late and missing the boat for early signings, Oran/Gus/etc have had three months to scout and decide. Popescu has played regularly in a decent league, Hladky has played for one of the Czech Republic’s better teams. Tansey was excellent at ICT. I get the injury concerns but in fairness one was down to a botched operation, and if he had been playing regularly we probably wouldn’t have landed him. Holmes is in for the injured Rogers but for all we know, could put up decent competition. Hard to tell but at least the position is covered.

Easy to forget Oran was the man who brought us Anton, Jackson, Lyness and Hammill. A defender who helped steady the ship, a striker who had 4 goals so far, a goalie who helped us out in 4 games and displaced Rogers, and a player who scored 2 fantastic goals, 4 in total and provided many more. I’m happy to place faith in Oran, Gus and co. Oran’s not only assessing players on quality but on attitude and character as well, knowing that mentally we need the right guys for this type of fight. Time will tell but I think they are doing a good job atm, it’s a tough market with not many options available if you don’t have the cash to spunk on transfer fees.

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

That's not what you said though.

You said that he'd played "very little football"

I presume that you're also putting Brad Lyons into this category too given that he's only really played regularly for Blackburn U-23's.

Oh right, thought it would be rather obvious when I said football I meant at a good level. Clearly not. If that’s the case are we counting bounce games and games in training aswell? I’ll rephrase he’s played very little competitive first team football since leaving us.

Brad Lyons played almost 100 games for Coleraine under our current manager (therefore he’s not “only really played reguarly for Blackburn U-23’s), they will have a very good working relationship and this can’t be underestimated. He then went to Blackburn on loan under what appears to be some sort of trial period, he’s clearly impressed and has now won himself a move. As with any signings who haven’t played at this level I have no idea how Kyle or Brad will fair... obviously i’m hoping for the best. With regards to injuries, one of the signings gives me more concern than the other. I have my fingers crossed it all works out though.

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That's absolutely not what you said though. 

As above I wasn’t speaking literally, if we’re counting reserve football as game time then all our youth players are ready to just waltz into Premiership football? No, thought not.

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I have faith in Kearney’s signings here.

He knows what Lyons is about. He will know his strengths and weaknesses from the Coleraine days. He’s had 3/4 months of seeing the standard of the Premier League. He’s also seen us playing the likes of Ryan Edwards and Ian McShane. To allow those two to go and bring in Brad, he must certainly believe Brad is an improvement and he’s best placed to assess that. Someone in the club (possibly McManus) May have suggested Kyle, and I doubt they’ve brought him in without checking his efforts for Derby U23s. Unlike Stubbs who had to make quick deals due to coming in late and missing the boat for early signings, Oran/Gus/etc have had three months to scout and decide. Popescu has played regularly in a decent league, Hladky has played for one of the Czech Republic’s better teams. Tansey was excellent at ICT. I get the injury concerns but in fairness one was down to a botched operation, and if he had been playing regularly we probably wouldn’t have landed him. Holmes is in for the injured Rogers but for all we know, could put up decent competition. Hard to tell but at least the position is covered.

Easy to forget Oran was the man who brought us Anton, Jackson, Lyness and Hammill. A defender who helped steady the ship, a striker who had 4 goals so far, a goalie who helped us out in 4 games and displaced Rogers, and a player who scored 2 fantastic goals, 4 in total and provided many more. I’m happy to place faith in Oran, Gus and co. Oran’s not only assessing players on quality but on attitude and character as well, knowing that mentally we need the right guys for this type of fight. Time will tell but I think they are doing a good job atm, it’s a tough market with not many options available if you don’t have the cash to spunk on transfer fees.

I thought Stubbs was appointed about 2 weeks after the transfer window opened and had over 2 months left to sign players. One option he had open to him was to assess the list of transfer targets compiled for the club by our scouting network over the previous 6 months and tap into the homework which had already been done on players within our budget.

38 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I thought Stubbs was appointed about 2 weeks after the transfer window opened and had over 2 months left to sign players. One option he had open to him was to assess the list of transfer targets compiled for the club by our scouting network over the previous 6 months and tap into the homework which had already been done on players within our budget.

Stubbs is not here anymore.

We are where we are.

6 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Oh right, thought it would be rather obvious when I said football I meant at a good level. Clearly not. If that’s the case are we counting bounce games and games in training aswell? I’ll rephrase he’s played very little competitive first team football since leaving us.

Brad Lyons played almost 100 games for Coleraine under our current manager (therefore he’s not “only really played reguarly for Blackburn U-23’s), they will have a very good working relationship and this can’t be underestimated. He then went to Blackburn on loan under what appears to be some sort of trial period, he’s clearly impressed and has now won himself a move. As with any signings who haven’t played at this level I have no idea how Kyle or Brad will fair... obviously i’m hoping for the best. With regards to injuries, one of the signings gives me more concern than the other. I have my fingers crossed it all works out though.

As above I wasn’t speaking literally, if we’re counting reserve football as game time then all our youth players are ready to just waltz into Premiership football? No, thought not.

Your first post was factually incorrect. We simply pointed out that, going by the wording and sweeping nature of your post, you were talking pish.

Any player we take from English championship or Premiership U-23's is a risk and I don't disagree with your middle paragraph.

I do happen to believe that getting regular games for an English championship U-23 team is far better preparation for our first XI than playing for our reserve team or in the odd bounce game, and I believe that a fit McAllister and Lyons will show up well in premiership football.

What I worry about, is that our first few games after the break we play the top end teams and that our new players will be written off by certain fans, who are desperate to see OK fail, if we don't get results, before they have a chance against our relegation rivals and bottom half teams.

9 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Ah, so that’s the trick. Just put together a squad of League One players, any players, get them to play together for a season... then they’re good to go and challenge for Premiership top 6!

:1eye

Well it's certainly worked for Livi, no? Continuity.

But hey you carry on twisting things to suit your own agenda.

14 minutes ago, jonjo said:

We need experienced players to help us survive in this league not two young boys trying to get out of u23 football. So far signings have been very poor as we need a Striker, LM, and a LB but we bring in a Rm and more Center mids

You do realise we've let right mids and centre mids go in the influx of departures?

Every player we've brought in so far, we've certainly needed someone for that position.

I'm comfortable that the manager knows in letting the likes of McShane, Kirkpatrick and Willock move on, that Lyons and Tansey are able replacements for them.

Recruitment isn't over yet either. Let's see what next couple of weeks brings.

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You do realise we've let right mids and centre mids go in the influx of departures?

Every player we've brought in so far, we've certainly needed someone for that position.

I'm comfortable that the manager knows in letting the likes of McShane, Kirkpatrick and Willock move on, that Lyons and Tansey are able replacements for them.

Recruitment isn't over yet either. Let's see what next couple of weeks brings.

Yeah, much my thought. Gut feel says that the best signing or two is yet to come...

overall, before a ball is kicked, I’d say our squad looks to be in a better place than it was in December. Hammill the obvious miss, but none of the others I’m disappointed about.

48 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Yeah, much my thought. Gut feel says that the best signing or two is yet to come...

overall, before a ball is kicked, I’d say our squad looks to be in a better place than it was in December. Hammill the obvious miss, but none of the others I’m disappointed about.

I share these views. We have improved our first team squad. Sad to see Hammill go however.

The final days of the window are likely to see the striker and left back we need arrive. Difficult opening games coming up so we will be tested.

Bring it on.

1 hour ago, jonjo said:

We need experienced players to help us survive in this league not two young boys trying to get out of u23 football. So far signings have been very poor as we need a Striker, LM, and a LB but we bring in a Rm and more Center mids

Time and budget will tell.  An experienced goalkeeper, centre back, centre mid plus Ferdinand staying is a very good start surely.  

I think we have been very successful in getting a lot of not quite up to it players off the wage bill, also I trust the players recruited are up to the job though of course McAllister is the only one I've actually seen. It would have been great to get a left back and a striker in time for today's game but if we get them eventually I would say we've had a really good window. Great players are not available in January all you can do is get in better than you had.