January Arrivals

div

18 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

OK, my mate at the kit suppliers said we've just ordered a load of number 10s, and the letters M, U, R, E, Y.

Any clues? 

Not a bad shout from a Dundee fan on Pie & Bovril- Simon Murray currently playing for a Johannesburg team in South Africa. 

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Not a bad shout from a Dundee fan on Pie & Bovril- Simon Murray currently playing for a Johannesburg team in South Africa. 

I nearly made a joke before about us bringing back Shug and spelling his name wrong. I'm sure he could still do a job, the handsome bastard.

19 hours ago, W6Saint said:

There shouldn’t be a choice. We had 3 weeks without a game and were told Gus had been all over the place for months targetting players.

Targeting players and getting them to sign are two very different things.

Better players will be advised to wait for better offers, then sign at the end of the month when they've assessed all their options. This is how it is at a club of our size. We either pay a premium to get them to sign now or we wait. If we pay more to get them early, it will affect our other business. 

13 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think the aim all along always was to get shout of about 50% of the squad Stubbs left behind and try and add 5 or 6 decent signings. I would imagine it has taken a fair amount of effort to offload Heaton, Kpekawa, King etc for starters.

I agree with another poster in that IMO we are now far weaker, we haven’t addressed the issue at left back; our gaping defence has leaked 6 goals in 2 games; we’ve brought in one player to address the width issues so far (as a side note to those who reacted as if I was an imbecile for saying he probably wouldn’t be fit, why is he not starting?); and our strikeforce has no new bodies; we’ve also let go of our star player and only number 10 style player because we insist on playing flat banks of 4 or 5 at the back... going to be a big 6 days.

I have no doubt it took a lot of effort to offload the duds. Alan Stubbs made a mess of recruitment, however, on the face of things we’re not doing much better this time around.

Edited by W6Saint

11 hours ago, andropv said:

Who’d take a playoff right now?

Your having a laugh.   You are only looking at how we are sitting squad wise right now - that's not fair.

We have shipped out loads who were not good enough, so at least wait to see who we sign and once they have a wee bit of time to learn to play as a team with the tactics Oran wants.

We will finish above Dee and Hamilton. We might even catch Well . .

Signings imminent - knicker wetting will slow begin to reduce, but come back every time we get beat  -  Que sera sera . .   :ninja

13 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

I agree with another poster in that IMO we are now far weaker, we haven’t addressed the issue at left back; our gaping defence has leaked 6 goals in 2 games; we’ve brought in one player to address the width issues so far (as a side note to those who reacted as if I was an imbecile for saying he probably wouldn’t be fit, why is he not starting?); and our strikeforce has no new bodies; we’ve also let go of our star player and only number 10 style player because we insist on playing flat banks of 4 or 5 at the back... going to be a big 6 days.

I have no doubt it took a lot of effort fo offload the duds. Alan Stubbs made a mess of recruitment, however, on the face of things we’re not doing much better this time around.

Who is this 'star' player we have let go? If it's CS then I question why no other top club in our league swooped to take him? 

12 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Your having a laugh.   You are only looking at how we are sitting squad wise right now - that's not fair.

We have shipped out loads who were not good enough, so at least wait to see who we sign and once they have a wee bit of time to learn to play as a team with the tactics Oran wants.

Signings imminent - knicker wetting will slow begin to reduce, but come back every time we get beat  -  Que sera sera . .   :ninja

Are we expecting some signing news today ?

2 minutes ago, Buddie-Boy said:

Are we expecting some signing news today ?

You know the drill - expecting the deals being completed, and them following through is always the issue.

I do think 1 will go through today, and another might...   we wait with baited breath ! We really do need them . :cheers

8 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Who is this 'star' player we have let go? If it's CS then I question why no other top club in our league swooped to take him? 

Adam Hammill. Cool it.

ETA - Let go is the wrong expression. ‘Lost’ - let’s go with that

Edited by W6Saint

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

You know the drill - expecting the deals being completed, and them following through is always the issue.

I do think 1 will go through today, and another might...   we wait with baited breath ! We really do need them . :cheers

Here's hoping.  Striker or left-back please

Speaking of the correct terminology, I've seen a few people saying that we've wasted time 'waiting' for Ferdinand to let us know what he was doing. That's also the wrong way to see it. Like it or not, he had a deal to the end of the season that he was able to break if he wanted. It put us in a weak-ish position as a club, but we had no choice but to sit and wait to see if he was stopping with us. 

As it is, he decided at a fairly early point in January - before a competitive ball was kicked. I'm not sure he could have done much more for us, in fairness.

36 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

In truth, I think you have been pretty spot on with a lot of info so I hope you are right re: signings coming in as we really need a few players (better than what we have) in key areas to get out this mess. i.e. left back, Striker and if I am not asking too much another winger for the left side

19 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Speaking of the correct terminology, I've seen a few people saying that we've wasted time 'waiting' for Ferdinand to let us know what he was doing. That's also the wrong way to see it. Like it or not, he had a deal to the end of the season that he was able to break if he wanted. It put us in a weak-ish position as a club, but we had no choice but to sit and wait to see if he was stopping with us. 

As it is, he decided at a fairly early point in January - before a competitive ball was kicked. I'm not sure he could have done much more for us, in fairness.

A half decent player against your run of the mill Premiership strikers but certainly not worth the time we wasted worrying about his decision, he done a lot of badge kissing and waving round about christmas time - clearly not 100% committed here IMO. Our waiting about has been made to seem even more ridiculous by us now not even starting him!

On 1/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, Magic Monkey said:

OK, my mate at the kit suppliers said we've just ordered a load of number 10s, and the letters M, U, R, E, Y.

Any clues? 

I'm no Rachel Riley but i'm struggling to fit in Nae Cnut with those letters

At least we have a wee squad now

All the coaches have a space on the bench

5 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

I'm no Rachel Riley but i'm struggling to fit in Nae Cnut with those letters

At least we have a wee squad now

All the coaches have a space on the bench

You are making a simple mistake - you are assuming that it is one player . . . :ninja