January Arrivals

div

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We've just signed a player who was one of the top scorers in Danish football, and was signed by an English premiership team for £2 million and people have written the guy off as "pish" already.

Imagine we signed a striker for a fee, who couldn't get near the first XI of an English division one team. 

The response would put some of the meltdowns witnessed on here in the past few days to shame.

Have we....who is it?

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We've just signed a player who was one of the top scorers in Danish football, and was signed by an English premiership team for £2 million and people have written the guy off as "pish" already.

Imagine we signed a striker for a fee, who couldn't get near the first XI of an English division one team. 

The response would put some of the meltdowns witnessed on here in the past few days to shame.

1 minute ago, TediousTom said:

No that was last week.....the chap/chapess posted today, deadline day.  Is he/she confused?

I am thinking you are confused ? 10 minutes ago :spud7

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

I am thinking you are confused ? 10 minutes ago :spud7

No FTOF posted "we have just signed.."  Perhaps FTOF should answer

For example I have just had a massive shite,  I am of course referring to the massive shite I just dropped into the pan and NOT a massive shite I may/may not have had some day last week.  Christ almighty!!!!!

Plus Nelson spent the first half of the season at Darlington. Imagine the reaction if we'd paid money for someone who'd been playing for them.

Had Dundee signed these guys from, say, Portsmouth then no one would be that bothered - but because it's Sunderland it's somehow treachery from Ross.

36 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Has the eagle landed yet :rolleyes: Better sticking to tantrums over Tony and Gus not doing their job :lol:

I never said they weren't doing their job, I said that questions should be asked over their respective roles in this window when their main priority was clearly to bring in at least one centre forward to improve the squad and we are less than 4 hours away from the window closing and not achieving that. 

There absolutely should be questions asked if it passes with so many new faces and not a single centre forward. What has Gus brought to our transfer dealings in this window that wasn't brought when we signed 10 players 2 seasons back? 

Why are we continually and very publicly announcing we are 'nearly there' with signings only for them to invariably fall through time and time again? 

If you don't think there is anything to be worried about, that's completely up to you but personally, I think it's quite concerning. 

Starting with the begging of Lewis Morgan to please come home by our own chief exec on his twitter account complete with praying hands. I love Fitzy but FFS, that was absolutely cringeworthy and was the moment I pinpointed that there was no chance Morgan would even give us a second thought again. 

As is the public announcement of our signing strategy being that we are so far down the food chain so need to wait on other clubs doing their stuff and hope we get thrown scraps here and there.... Is THAT the much lauded scouting strategy we were promised?

Much more diddy clubs than us would never even f**king dream of saying that sort of thing publicly. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Lol complete meltdown on here some would have you believe we haven’t signed anyone in January.

Board and Oran clearly have had there targets and for what ever reason they haven’t came off not really much more they can do if a club comes in with more money.

And calling for people to lose their jobs because of it is just crazy especially for a club like us with our budget in the January window.

Lots acting like spoilt children not getting their toys they had been promised.

If we don’t get anyone in tonight I’m sure we will still be on the hunt for the right ones that are without a club.

Far from ideal but that’s football life goes on.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Why are we continually and very publicly announcing we are 'nearly there' with signings only for them to invariably fall through time and time again? 

Maybe our striker targets were actually decent for a change, are in demand, and other clubs have outbid us at the last minute.

The Malec situation certainly sounds like that.

I'd rather we were pipped at the post, rather than panic buy someone who isn't better than our current crop of strikers.

IMO the type of striker we're after is a six foot plus target man. None of the signings that other clubs have made, fall into that category.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I never said they weren't doing their job, I said that questions should be asked over their respective roles in this window when their main priority was clearly to bring in at least one centre forward to improve the squad and we are less than 4 hours away from the window closing and not achieving that. 

There absolutely should be questions asked if it passes with so many new faces and not a single centre forward. What has Gus brought to our transfer dealings in this window that wasn't brought when we signed 10 players 2 seasons back? 

If you don't think there is anything to be worried about, that's completely up to you but personally, I think it's quite concerning.  As is the public announcement of our signing strategy being that we are so far down the food chain so need to wait on other clubs doing their stuff and hope we get thrown scraps here and there.... Is THAT the much lauded scouting strategy we were promised?

Much more diddy clubs than us would never even f**king dream of saying that sort of thing publicly. 

I get what you are saying and much of it is bang on the money.

My suspicion is that Gus found 3 CF's who were agreed to be up to the mark and willing to sign - but each of them went elsewhere, even although we thought we were on a winner. The agents managed to get each of them a better deal than they had agreed with us.... we were used in at least 1 of these situations..

There were others who were Plan B, and a number of them have not worked out - but we were not so far down the road with any of them as we were with the Plan A guys.

To be honest a number of strikers others have signed I am glad we did not get them, but having said that getting no one is really bad. . . 

The BOD/Manager need to say less until things are signed and sealed, but are wanting to keep the fans in the loop in a positive way - it has backfired a bit though.

They have also been guilty of trying to play down things, because it doesn't always work out too. (food chain etc.) To avoid blame. But they will get that anyway - it goes with the territory. 

Keep the faith . .  :spud6

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

This. The amount of folk I've seen whining about Ross shafting us again by giving these guys to Sunderland is incredible. How do we know they weren't offered to us and we said no? Maybe Kearney doesn't rate them or maybe we can't afford them.

Who knows, perhaps Ross has done us a favour by deliberately giving Dundee a couple of duds :lol: And if we had sign them they same folk moaning now would probably have been moaning about us signing players with sod all experience.

I'm not defending our transfer dealings and lack of signings today by any means, but there's plenty to be critical of without making stuff up.

I'm confused...

are we working furiously behind the scenes to bring in players, but often it all breaks down further back in the chain?

or

are we telling Jack Ross to do one! Each time he rings up to offer us a decent player on loan?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I'm confused...

are we working furiously behind the scenes to bring in players, but often it all breaks down further back in the chain?

or

are we telling Jack Ross to do one! Each time he rings up to offer us a decent player on loan?

An admission from you at last !   :D

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Maybe our striker targets were actually decent for a change, are in demand, and other clubs have outbid us at the last minute.

The Malec situation certainly sounds like that.

I'd rather we were pipped at the post, rather than panic buy someone who isn't better than our current crop of strikers.

IMO the type of striker we're after is a six foot plus target man. None of the signings that other clubs have made, fall into that category.

I do get that but mate, it goes back to the summer as well. 

Beltrame, Rooney, Hornby and the other 'marquee signings' in the summer. 

Malec and Hlohovsky. Mclaughlin. Fitzy telling everyone a few weeks ago that 2 strikers were 'just about done'. 

The public begging of Morgan to come back. 

I know it happens everywhere but it seems happens a lot more publicly and a lot more often with us than at other clubs. 

Very strange this window. I am still hoping that we get a couple of quality players in. We had nothing good enough on our bench bar anton on Sunday yet we haven’t managed to get anyone in. I understand we have injuries but in my opinion we look lightweight all over the park and I feel tonight we need some good news or else we will probably be relegated. Jackson works hard but he has had no support and it’s hard to see us scoring the goals required to stay up. 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I do get that but mate, it goes back to the summer as well. 

Beltrame, Rooney, Hornby and the other 'marquee signings' in the summer. 

Malec and Hlohovsky. Mclaughlin. Fitzy telling everyone a few weeks ago that 2 strikers were 'just about done'. 

The public begging of Morgan to come back. 

I know it happens everywhere but it seems happens a lot more publicly and a lot more often with us than at other clubs. 

Oh I agree.

We need to learn not to trumpet about potential signings until everything is signed, sealed and delivered.

However, I can't help feeling that the club are pandering to the masses who demand instant gratification when it comes to news of our signings.

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If you don't think there is anything to be worried about, that's completely up to you but personally, I think it's quite concerning. 

Starting with the begging of Lewis Morgan to please come home by our own chief exec on his twitter account complete with praying hands. I love Fitzy but FFS, that was absolutely cringeworthy and was the moment I pinpointed that there was no chance Morgan would even give us a second thought again. 

As is the public announcement of our signing strategy being that we are so far down the food chain so need to wait on other clubs doing their stuff and hope we get thrown scraps here and there.... Is THAT the much lauded scouting strategy we were promised?

No doubt about it a striker is needed still 8 players in I think when they gel ( soon I hope ) we can make 10th. I'm a Saints fan with a glass half full.