January Arrivals

div

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Well thats life.

I just would have though with that John McGinn payment we could have put together a list of emerging Scottish talent at Championship & League 1 level and got them in on long term deals, along with a few guys tried and tested at this level such as Sow & Wright.

While I realise how badly last summers business has crippled us, I'd have hoped we could at least have got one or two signings in that showed we were beginning down a path that looked more to the long term development of talented players.

I think in an ideal world you are absolutely right.

The McGinn money should have been an investment opportunity for us. Unfortunately the Stubbs debacle absolutely killed that stone dead.

There's absolutely no guarantee that this collection of signings is going to save us. End of the day we are in a league of three with only one guaranteed survival spot and the other two clubs have both been in this division longer than we have.

We've rolled the dice and very much taken a punt. If it succeeds it will be a miracle on par with what we achieved in 2016-2017.

If it fails then at least we can very quickly clear the decks in the summer and start to rebuild properly in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, div said:

I think in an ideal world you are absolutely right.

The McGinn money should have been an investment opportunity for us. Unfortunately the Stubbs debacle absolutely killed that stone dead.

There's absolutely no guarantee that this collection of signings is going to save us. End of the day we are in a league of three with only one guaranteed survival spot and the other two clubs have both been in this division longer than we have.

We've rolled the dice and very much taken a punt. If it succeeds it will be a miracle on par with what we achieved in 2016-2017.

If it fails then at least we can very quickly clear the decks in the summer and start to rebuild properly in the Championship.

The only fly in that ointment will be the level of financial damage we have sustained.

If it is as big as we fear then we'll be in trouble whatever division we end up in because the summer rebuild will be affected.

I would love to be in a position to see a trial balance sheet and profit and loss account right now.

Trying not to thin k about that too much though as I think we've had enough negativity for a whole season.

Edited by oaksoft

Good thing is with players not on long term deals, if we do go down we'll be able to rebuild with whatever budget is available. If we stay up,. we'll be fine. Don't think the risk is as much as some are making out 

Off the top of my head, the only 2 players we've got tied down on longer term deals are Magennis and Erhahon?

Edited by Doakes

1 minute ago, Doakes said:

Good thing is with players not on long term deals, if we do go down we'll be able to rebuild with whatever budget is available. If we stay up,. we'll be fine. Don't think the risk is as much as some are making out 

Stay in the premiership we will be fine with the reported 100 million from sky the premiership will become the land of milk and honey. I'm sure the McGinn money has taken a huge hit and probably ( hopfully) save our season. Even in life we get hit with unexpected financial bills. The clear out had to be done the backroon staff have clearly worked their cotton socks off. 

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Well, yes there is that.

I've always been a big fan of Shaktar Karagandy, Sint Truiden, and Slovan Liberec. Hopefully, this is the start of a long term relationship with these impressive clubs :lol:

(Aye, I'm sure they could all beat us before someone takes this seriously)

Beat us? They could all have humped us pre January and you have elected to not mention Derby, Brighton and Dynamo Bucharest. I like the business we have done. 

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Well thats life.

I just would have though with that John McGinn payment we could have put together a list of emerging Scottish talent at Championship & League 1 level and got them in on long term deals, along with a few guys tried and tested at this level such as Sow & Wright.

While I realise how badly last summers business has crippled us, I'd have hoped we could at least have got one or two signings in that showed we were beginning down a path that looked more to the long term development of talented players.

Surely all we needed to do was supplement last season's brilliant squad with a couple of signings?

After all, Livi are sitting comfortably in the table with the exact same players they had in League One plus a couple of Partick Thistle rejects and our squad finished way ahead of them.....   :rolleyes:

I await the usual abuse.

Edited by Wendy Saintss

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Stay in the premiership we will be fine with the reported 100 million from sky the premiership will become the land of milk and honey. I'm sure the McGinn money has taken a huge hit and probably ( hopfully) save our season. Even in life we get hit with unexpected financial bills. The clear out had to be done the backroon staff have clearly worked their cotton socks off. 

Wee bit optimistic there big man!

The new TV deal is worth about £30m a season and it doesn't start until season 20/21 :)

29 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The only fly in that ointment will be the level of financial damage we have sustained.

If it is as big as we fear then we'll be in trouble whatever division we end up in because the summer rebuild will be affected.

I would love to be in a position to see a trial balance sheet and profit and loss account right now.

Trying not to thin k about that too much though as I think we've had enough negativity for a whole season.

Yeah I think it's fair to assume that the vast majority of the McGinn money will be gone.

A big opportunity missed sadly!

21 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Off the top of my head, the only 2 players we've got tied down on longer term deals are Magennis and Erhahon?

Sound analysis Doakes. Not accidental. 

2 minutes ago, div said:

Yeah I think it's fair to assume that the vast majority of the McGinn money will be gone.

Definately a very bad error of judgement by the Board. If the McGinn money was nearly a million (?) I can't see how the Stubbs debacle could have blown all of it. What salaries were those guys on?

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Can I just say that the footage of DN reminds me more than a little of Barry lavety's style, which is all good by me

Like Basher, he's got a big backside. Ideal in this league for holding off over-tactile defenders. They always said Paul Scholes' arse was his secret weapon, you know. 

On many of Nazon's goals, it's how quickly he shoots that has got me excited (even more than his big backside). He seems to take his chances early. We have got to get this guy the support and service he needs.

This clip - watch how early he strikes the ball on most the goals he scores.

Edited by Magic Monkey

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

I think Hladky and Tansey are on 18 month deals - Heaton on a 3 year deal but by the summer it will be 2 more.

Not sure about guys like MacPherson but suspect he will not be on better than Championship money yet anyway...

Certainly a gamble but one that had to be made. With the squad we had we were going straight down. Unfortunately due to the Stubbs fiasco we have now spent more than we should have. We will still have a team to support next season. Following saints is more downs than ups as we all know. Let's enjoy the ride [emoji41]

1 hour ago, div said:

I concede that you are far more likely to have heard comments internally that I will - but assuming can be very different from the reality.

We could each trot out what cost us and where we gained income from various things etc. But have we as yet had the vast majority of the McGinn money? Was it paid in 2 or 3 tranches etc.? I do think we got a number of bigger earners off the books and to date we are paying 10 instead of 16 previously. As well as this where we finish in the league can change what funds we gain at the end of the season too.

What I am really asking is how much is this your assumption, I know based on a number of things that have happened OR based on folk internally dropping this idea with some serious concern? Did we not set off with the budget before we knew that the McGinn money was coming our way?

11 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Like Basher, he's got a big backside. Ideal in this league for holding off over-tactile defenders. They always said Paul Scholes' arse was his secret weapon, you know. 

On many of Nazon's goals, it's how quickly he shoots that has got me excited (even more than his big backside). He seems to take his chances early. We have got to get this guy the support and service he needs.

A few mentions of this guy's rear end there MM! A few goals won't go amiss. Feed the Duck. (Hope he doesn't dive)

3 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So, in order to prove that Div didn't say what he did, you've quoted what he said....

and then made up something that LPM said and didn't quote it!

Brilliant! :lol:

If you read back, you'll see I clearly stated if Div had quoted the same as LPM which was that we would bring in a 'maximum' of three players, he'd be wrong.

It was soon confirmed you comparing what he said to LPM was incorrect. I shared the screenshot that he didn't mention about more players leaving and that meaning more would come in (which Div had said) I even shared LPM stating 10 or more leaving was 'fantasy' 

What do you think I made up that he said? You're obviously too proud to admit you've been proven wrong. That doesn't change the fact though :booty

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

A few mentions of this guy's rear end there MM! A few goals won't go amiss. Feed the Duck. (Hope he doesn't dive)

I might be in the minority but an occasional dive if it brings us points in I am okay with - it will balance up against those in other teams who do likewise to us.

So if he dives I am fine with that but I hope is that he does not bomb

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I might be in the minority but an occasional dive if it brings us points in I am okay with - it will balance up against those in other teams who do likewise to us.

So if he dives I am fine with that but I hope is that he does not bomb

It was a play on words Sweeper as in "Ducking and Diving " but I get your point.

Far too many new signings for individual new songs you’d think so why not squeeze them all into one!

Do you Remember?

When Stubbsy got sacked in September,

After filling the squad with pretenders

Four months later and they’re all awaaaaay....

oh oh oh

We’ve got Tansey and Hladky

oh oh oh

Jordan Holmes and Bradley 

oh oh oh

They were Muzek to our ears!!!!

Oh oh oh 

Dreyer and Popescu 

oh oh oh

McAllister and Corbu 

oh oh oh 

Nazon saved us all from tears!!

Surely all we needed to do was supplement last season's brilliant squad with a couple of signings?
After all, Livi are sitting comfortably in the table with the exact same players they had in League One plus a couple of Partick Thistle rejects and our squad finished way ahead of them.....   :rolleyes:
I await the usual abuse.

Go and support livi then.