January Arrivals

div

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

In: Greg Tansey, midfielder (Aberdeen); Vaclav Hladky, goalkeeper (Slovan Liberec); Mateo Muzek, defender (Shakhter Karagandy). Loan: Mihai Popescu, defender (Dinamo Bucharest); Laurentiu Corbu, defender (Dinamo Bucharest); Duckens Nuzon, forward (Sint Truidens); Anders Dreyer, midfielder (Brighton & Hove Albion); Jordan Holmes, goalkeeper (Bournemouth); Brad Lyons, midfielder (Blackburn Rovers); Kyle McAllister, forward (Derby County).

And of course Ferdinand resigned too

Bringing in so many foreign players without watching them in person is a huge risk. These players will have been brought to the club due to scouts recommendations and through DVDs/YouTube. But so far, Hladký & Popescu have looked solid in the Black and White so I'm hopeful the other foreign lads will turn out just as good. 

Not sure at all where all this "well done the management" arse licking is coming from?

This looks to me like a lot of hopeful random punts cobbled together at the end of the window. Has Gus been out to scout these guys or have they been brought in on the basis of some youtube videos? The 2nd lad from Dinamo Bucharest presumably here after a last minute suggestion from his mate :lol:

Obviously, I hope these guys have a storming half season with us! But why are so many trying to delude themselves by suggesting there was some form of strategic planning and execution behind this random jumble of signings?

Edited by Kemp

19 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I reckon all fans should watch 'Sunderland Till I Die' to gain some knowledge of the trials and tribulations of running a football club. There may be more understanding and less urine swilling about.

Well done our management in what has been an extremely stressful time for all of them.

Agree, that was a solid programme well worth the watching. Wonder if there will be a follow up with the introduction of the St Mirren influences :clapping

Just now, Kemp said:

Not sure at all where all this "well done the management" arse licking is coming from?

This looks to me like a lot of hopeful random punts cobbled together at the end of the window. Has Gus been out to scout these guys or have they been brought in on the basis of some youtube videos? The 2nd lad from Dinamo Bucharest presumably here after a last minute suggestion from his mate :lol:

Obviously, I hope these guys have a storming half season with us! But why are so many trying to delude themselves by suggesting there was some from of strategic planning and execution behind this random jumble of signings?

Last season Sunderland made a list of transfer targets and got virtually none due to a myriad of reasons. They also tried to send players out on loan one of whom was driving to Derby to sign when Derby pulled the plug. Why do fans think it is so easy?

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Obviously, I hope these guys have a storming half season with us! But why are so many trying to delude themselves by suggesting there was some form of strategic planning and execution behind this random jumble of signings?

Surely our new signings have come as a result of agents/scouts sending in DVDs/YouTube videos. I can't see Gus travelling to Croatia, Czech Republic and Romania as well as Slovakia & South Korea (the two trialists; Malec & FH) to scout players.

Nazon was recommended to the club by our English based scout, Kearney & Co watched several clips of him and ultimately decided he was good enough for us. 

7 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I am more hopeful. The majority of these guys come from some pretty impressive clubs. I'm hoping this counts for something.

7 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Last season Sunderland made a list of transfer targets and got virtually none due to a myriad of reasons. They also tried to send players out on loan one of whom was driving to Derby to sign when Derby pulled the plug. Why do fans think it is so easy?

Um.....the whole point of that netflix show was highlighting what a f**king shambles Sunderland were! They operated with no budget for players and their scouts gave Martin Bain a list with Zlatan Ibrahimovic at the top of it :lol:

Competitive sport is not supposed to be "easy". 

I'd certainly feel a lot happier with players we are familiar with like Osman Sow, Scott Wright, and Liam Polworth. I don't see why when we have had half a season to build up to this window (fully aware of how many players would be needed) we are playing lucky dip with the dvds sent up by agents?

Edited by Kemp

The Netflix show was a fly-on-the-wall running of a football Club which is being repeated with a new owner, chief exec, manager and backroom staff for this season.

And I believe that our first three striker targets were all serious intentions with one turning up in Paisley to sign with his Agent phoning him at the last minute telling him not to as he had a better deal for him. What you want and what you get are different things.

6 minutes ago, magnus said:

I am more hopeful. The majority of these guys come from some pretty impressive clubs. I'm hoping this counts for something.

Well, yes there is that.

I've always been a big fan of Shaktar Karagandy, Sint Truiden, and Slovan Liberec. Hopefully, this is the start of a long term relationship with these impressive clubs :lol:

(Aye, I'm sure they could all beat us before someone takes this seriously)

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

What you want and what you get are different things.

Well thats life.

I just would have though with that John McGinn payment we could have put together a list of emerging Scottish talent at Championship & League 1 level and got them in on long term deals, along with a few guys tried and tested at this level such as Sow & Wright.

While I realise how badly last summers business has crippled us, I'd have hoped we could at least have got one or two signings in that showed we were beginning down a path that looked more to the long term development of talented players.

Whatever the percentage is, we've brought in more players than I expected that's for sure.

Think the injuries to Hodson and Rogers forced that a bit. The cup victory will have added a few quid to the coffers and the loss of the Chipper wage will have helped too.

Either way, this year we are going to record a thundering loss in the accounts :unsure:

Still, fuck it, it's exciting and hopefully we can make a good fist of staying up!

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

I think you'll find my posts have been completely in line with your nonsense. 

‘So, close to half. LPM is correct IMO. 

‘Div also said that we'd only recruit 3 to 4 players at the same time as LPM. They both said that to recruit more players then more would need to leave.

LPM did not say more would need to leave, I quoted what he said. LPM said less than half, he was by no means close

‘8/16 = 50% = exactly half. No spin required! Thanks’

Two additional signings last night clearly mean even by your warped take on it, he was  wrong.

‘So, going by your interpretation, its 8/15. Nor far off half!’ ‘There have been 8 January arrivals and 16 were shipped out for them. That's half!’

Willing to admit that by any definition now it was wrong?

Deary me! :lol:

You're having a mare!

Posting more drivel won't alter the massive hole you fell into! :1eye

24 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Well thats life.

I just would have though with that John McGinn payment we could have put together a list of emerging Scottish talent at Championship & League 1 level and got them in on long term deals, along with a few guys tried and tested at this level such as Sow & Wright.

While I realise how badly last summers business has crippled us, I'd have hoped we could at least have got one or two signings in that showed we were beginning down a path that looked more to the long term development of talented players.

At the moment I do not think we are looking any further than the next 5 months to keep us in this League - experienced players required. Wherever we end up after that we have a better chance in the summer to develop a squad. January is all about fault fixing for us.

And Sow for example has played under Robbie Neilson twice before which has had a major bearing on where he ended up. Just like we had targeted Lewis and he ended up with his ex-manager instead. Personally I think we have played it right. It is a gamble but that is the situation we are in.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

At the moment I do not think we are looking any further than the next 5 months to keep us in this League - experienced players required. Wherever we end up after that we have a better chance in the summer to develop a squad. January is all about fault fixing for us.

And Sow for example has played under Robbie Neilson twice before which has had a major bearing on where he ended up. Just like we had targeted Lewis and he ended up with his ex-manager instead. Personally I think we have played it right. It is a gamble but that is the situation we are in.

I think the issue is everyone seems to have been saying (incl the club) that it wouldnt be Oran's team till this window, and an unrealistic expectation was built up that he could emulate Jack Ross in Jan 2017. At that time we splashed the cash, but that was to bring in players who were coming from in the main a higher level of football.

this time round, we live in hope. But we dont even know if Oran (or anyone) has seen any of the foreign guys actually play?

now we are hearing "but January is such a difficult window" and ""these new guys are only here for four months". That means a helluva a lot of money has been spent since Ross went, and we will be even more unsettled as a result, and just praying that somewhere amongst these hundreds of thousands of pounds we have bought a dodgy, injury time, smacked off someone's butt and went in play off winner...!

MoneyBall my feckin arse! It seems any of us could have assembled these recruits with a sim only mobile deal.

dont expect anything tomorrow, but we need a result against motherwell, especially if Dundee beat Hamilton.