Welcome Greg Tansey

St Mirren Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of midfielder Greg Tansey.

Tansey put pen to paper on an 18 month deal shortly after being freed by fellow Premiership side Aberdeen today.

The thirty-year old started his career with Stockport County before heading north to the Highlands in the summer of 2011 to sign with Inverness Caley Thistle. A year later he headed south again for two seasons with Stevenage.

He returned to Inverness in 2014 where he would total 190 outings for Caley Thistle before signing for Aberdeen in the summer of 2017.

The delighted midfielder spoke to stmirren.com shortly after signing. He said: “I’m delighted to be here – it has been a bit of a hectic week. As soon as I heard the interest from St Mirren, I was keen to come down.

“I have played here many times for Inverness and I like the ground, the atmosphere and I know the club has got a great support. The training ground is top notch as well so it was a no-brainer for me.

“Now I am back fit and feeling good so it brilliant for me to have a fresh start and get my teeth into a new challenge. I think I needed a fresh start. Now I am fit and I appreciate being fit a lot more."

Greg is also keen to get on with the task ahead when the season resumes in a couple of week's time. He said: “I think we have got the squad to hit the ground running after the break – I wouldn’t have came here if I thought otherwise. We have a massive chance to kick on in the second half of the season and be looking at the teams above us in the league instead of behind us."

After a number of players leaving the club over the last week, manager Oran Kearney was pleased to bring in a fresh face to the squad. He said: “It has been quite a long transfer but to get to this point now and to have it done, we are delighted."

The manager said of Greg Tansey: “He brings a pedigree and experience. The fact that he has a huge amount of games behind him at this level and done fantastically well is brilliant.

“He has an enthusiasm and wants to be here, from day one in my chat with him, Greg has shown a great desire to come here. That is very important to me, I want someone that is up for the fight and that really wants to come here and kick on."

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Exactly the type of signing we are looking for. Good business here by Oran/Gus/whoever, more of the same please.

Well described Cornwall. Keeps fit,  then we have a good and experienced player on board. Welcome Greg. 

Edited by St.Ricky

14 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Any chance of a reunion with Polwarth ?

Would be a superb signing, quite possible too as Inverness are looking to reduce their wage bill. 

Quite happy with the players we are being linked with, certainly ticking the boxes of what we need. Getting the first couple of players I think is hardest. 

Hopefully more to come and Ferdinand wants to stay. 

11 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

He said it be the Premier League Title in 2019, I’m saying Scottish Cup :D

Yes but he is full of shit.............................. oh .................. ok your saying SC,  you guys should hook up :whistle

Edited by DougJamie