Welcome Greg Tansey

Very poor from the club to not pay for the surgery. Would expect better.

IF we have medical insurance then Tansey would have been assessed when he signed his deal.

Like most insurance companies they probably excluded any pre-existing conditions which ruled out any future treatment of this issue which, at the time, likely wasn’t regarded as a problem.

Shame for the guy but I’d imagine he can get his treatment on the NHS, he’ll just need to wait like everyone else.

Not sure why you think the club should spend £000’s on treatment for a player they believe likely won’t play again that they can’t recoup from insurance?

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Why should any player have to pay for corrective surgery...

Surely that should be covered by NHS or the clubs private health insurance?

We have a responsibility to care for our employees.

That's awful for the lad.

As far as the private health insurance I suppose it must be to do with the fact it was a recurrence of an injury he already had before being employed by the club. The NHS thing must be either a choice by the player or the waiting time for the op.

Obviously Greg doesn't hold the club responsible.

Still feel for the boy though.

Guest TPAFKATS
Why should any player have to pay for corrective surgery...

Surely that should be covered by NHS or the clubs private health insurance?

We have a responsibility to care for our employees.

That's awful for the lad.
Yes, it's a horrible situation for him and I hope it gets resolved and he gets his health back even if he can't continue playing.

Without knowing all the details of his ongoing issues, it's not really possible to say who should cover corrective surgery.
The club have taken a decision not to pay what would be a 5 figure sum. I am going on the assumption that they have taken advice on this. I am also assuming that the surgery that Greg is seeking is not related to a condition or injury sustained in his employment with us.

He seems accepting of this and wishes the club well.

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The top one is much more fun.......................:rolleyes:

Why the feck would people think this stuff up and then post it on social media, absolute fcukwits. 

Because in general, a large number of people are just genuinely stupid.

If you want to see more evidence of that you should try out the Bears Den forum where they are discussing the collapse of the wheelchair roof at Killie and the consequent injury to a disabled supporter. Most posters believe it's all overblown nonsense. Several posters are saying that the people who are "whining" about it are worse than those who caused the collapse. Another poster with some mental health issues was called an attention seeking nutjob or words to that effect.

If you don't grow up and live amongst these types of people it is too easy to think that most people are normal and decent. Unfortunately these idiots are everywhere.

7 hours ago, Kemp said:

Very poor from the club to not pay for the surgery. Would expect better.

What do you know about any of this?

We are not a f**king charity.

There must have been a clause which Greg freely signed which exempted the club from paying for his treatment.

Wind yer neck in.

8 hours ago, pod said:

Cruel as it is.  His condition was pre-St.Mirren.    

And yet we signed him and he presumably passed a medical with us and he was one of our first properly scouted signings in the January window.

Still not to worry, we're still loaded and haven't blown most of the £2m in transfer fees received in the last 3 seasons.

Another mutual consent deal too.

6 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

And yet we signed him and he presumably passed a medical with us and he was one of our first properly scouted signings in the January window.

Still not to worry, we're still loaded and haven't blown most of the £2m in transfer fees received in the last 3 seasons.

I have a pre-known medical condition. Doesn't stop me doing what I do. But if it flares up again it probably will.  

Holiday insurance costs me more,  covers everything but my condition. If I didn't submit it, any insurance would be void. 

So one can pass a medical, if a little less honest with the truth. But eventually get found out. 

Edited by pod

6 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I doubt that very much.

Given the severity of his condition,his contract will have had certain conditions, relating to fitness. Like only getting one op to fix any reoccurrence of the injury.😉

15 hours ago, DLBud said:

IF we have medical insurance then Tansey would have been assessed when he signed his deal.

Like most insurance companies they probably excluded any pre-existing conditions which ruled out any future treatment of this issue which, at the time, likely wasn’t regarded as a problem.

Shame for the guy but I’d imagine he can get his treatment on the NHS, he’ll just need to wait like everyone else.

Not sure why you think the club should spend £000’s on treatment for a player they believe likely won’t play again that they can’t recoup from insurance?

The problem is by the time he gets his operation/treatment he'll be too old to play football.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Not a great message to prospective signings.... "if you get a serious injury, you're on your own".

of all the money this board have spaffed away, they couldn't be arsed to look after one of their own. Poor form.

I don’t think that is the message tbh. However, I guess it can read that way, especially given the BBC headlines. We’ve got a pretty decent track record of supporting players on long term injury, and we’ve given Obika a 2 year deal after being out for 9 months

There’s clearly more to this than we will know, or likely ever know. Interesting that Tansey has now removed his ‘statement’. I’m guessing very few, if anyone, on here will understand the nuances of medical insurance at a football club, so probably best left there.

Wish him well for the future, hopefully he can get back to playing again.

Got to feel for Greg Tansey. Unfortunately being a footballer,injury is an occupational hazard. Tansey possibly wound up with us because no one else would touch him. That said, I hope it’s not too serious although it does appear to have ended his career though as pointed out it was a pre-existing injury. However, for all professional footballers every game could be your last.
All the best Greg Tansey.

22 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I don’t think that is the message tbh. However, I guess it can read that way, especially given the BBC headlines. We’ve got a pretty decent track record of supporting players on long term injury, and we’ve given Obika a 2 year deal after being out for 9 months

There’s clearly more to this than we will know, or likely ever know. Interesting that Tansey has now removed his ‘statement’. I’m guessing very few, if anyone, on here will understand the nuances of medical insurance at a football club, so probably best left there.

Wish him well for the future, hopefully he can get back to playing again.

How dare you!

I'll have you know that we have "experts" in every aspect of running a football club on here.🙄

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

How dare you!

I'll have you know that we have "experts" in every aspect of running a football club on here.🙄

Those experts might be on here? But they certainly arent at the club!

plenty on here, your truly included question the wisdom, or lack therof in offering a contract to a player, released by his club because of his chronic medical condition. And in a matter of months it has come back to bite the club on its arse! Yet again the club performs an act of self harm in the media, at a time when it is desperately trying to recruit players.

yip one place we can be sure the experts arent is SMP or Ralston.

btw.... do we chalk this one up as one of Gus's Super Signings?

Guest TPAFKATS
plenty on here, your truly included question the wisdom, or lack therof in offering a contract to a player, released by his club because of his chronic medical condition. And in a matter of months it has come back to bite the club on its arse! Yet again the club performs an act of self harm in the media, at a time when it is desperately trying to recruit players.
Wow.
Gordon Scott did more than just piss on your chips didn't he.

Have you thought about seeking counselling instead of posting on here.

42 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

You, of course, are aware of the exact details of the contract, as you seem to know everything else about the inner workings of the club! 😉