Alan Johnston Sacked

St.Ricky

DAFC have sacked Alan Johnston.  Watched them last week.  They were great for 45 minutes and could have scored 4/5. Instead they scored 2 and Allow shared the points. 

Too near the drop zone for the Pars at 7th in the table.  Sandy Clark has gone too.  

1 hour ago, shull said:

Jim Goodwin is the favourite to take over at East End Park. He won't be at St Mirren Park on Scottish Cup day with Alloa. 

Good luck and best wishes, legend. 

He certainly out thought Alan Johnston on Saturday with the changes he made to the team in the second half. 

Manager of a Full Time team will be good progression for Jim. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

He certainly out thought Alan Johnston on Saturday with the changes he made to the team in the second half. 

Manager of a Full Time team will be good progression for Jim. 

If he does well there i.e. wins the league, our chance to ever get him will have gone.

52 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

If he does well there i.e. wins the league, our chance to ever get him will have gone.

Two or three years from now,  I can see Big Jim back at Saints as manager but he needs to do well at the Pars. 

They are a big club and need to be in contention at least at the top end of the Championship. 

12 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Two or three years from now,  I can see Big Jim back at Saints as manager but he needs to do well at the Pars. 

They are a big club and need to be in contention at least at the top end of the Championship. 

Pars are a bigger club than us, they should be in the Premiership, how Johnston has stayed in football management at this level baffles me , this is way above his level. Did well at Queen of South but not at this level......................  was hopeless at Killie

I wanted Jim before Jack , maybe one day but with Pars squad they really should be top 4 Championship minimum , if he gets the gig I fully expect Pars to push on

15 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Pars are a bigger club than us, they should be in the Premiership, how Johnston has stayed in football management at this level baffles me , this is way above his level. Did well at Queen of South but not at this level......................  was hopeless at Killie

I wanted Jim before Jack , maybe one day but with Pars squad they really should be top 4 Championship minimum , if he gets the gig I fully expect Pars to push on

Don't agree that they are a bigger club than us. Similar yes, but facilities wise we are way ahead of them. Only ever won 2 Scottish Cups, never won the league cup. Think they have a similar average attendance, but our travelling support is better than theirs. 

Just now, Doakes said:

Don't agree that they are a bigger club than us. Similar yes, but facilities wise we are way ahead of them. Only ever won 2 Scottish Cups, never won the league cup. Think they have a similar average attendance, but our travelling support is better than theirs. 

Ok mate, they have a larger stadia, but they should be in Scotlands top 12 like us. How many Scottish Cups have Livi and  Accies won   ?

39 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok mate, they have a larger stadia, but they should be in Scotlands top 12 like us. How many Scottish Cups have Livi and  Accies won   ?

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/sco-premiership/

All time table, we're 9th, they're 20th

Also their stadium is bigger, but ours is new and in far better condition. Their average attendance would easily fit in our ground. No point having a massive ground if you can't fill it...

Edited by Doakes

Ooft, it’s that one again. How do you define bigger club ?
Bigger ground, yes. But overall we have better facilities at ground and training .
Bigger support? Very little in it. They certainly have the potential to draw probably 10% more than us when they’re doing well but don’t have the ugly sisters on their doorstep.
More success and history ? They simply don’t get near us. Their last major cup win was 50 years ago.
Better looking fans ? ..... let’s leave that one for now [emoji848]

Our overall record in the top flight is very similar to them but we have never spent time in the third tier... they have.

They are where they are because they have been pants. They will come back and be up there again , of that I have no doubt.

As for should be in the top tier? The teams who occupy the top spots are there on merit. Accies and Ferranti thistle are both shit clubs in my opinion but both are punching well above their weight and deserve their top league slots .

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Ooft, it’s that one again. How do you define bigger club ?
Bigger ground, yes. But overall we have better facilities at ground and training .
Bigger support? Very little in it. They certainly have the potential to draw probably 10% more than us when they’re doing well but don’t have the ugly sisters on their doorstep.
More success and history ? They simply don’t get near us. Their last major cup win was 50 years ago.
Better looking fans ? ..... let’s leave that one for now emoji848.png

Our overall record in the top flight is very similar to them but we have never spent time in the third tier... they have.

They are where they are because they have been pants. They will come back and be up there again , of that I have no doubt.

As for should be in the top tier? The teams who occupy the top spots are there on merit. Accies and Ferranti thistle are both shit clubs in my opinion but both are punching well above their weight and deserve their top league slots .

There you go, no other reason:wink:

5 hours ago, Doakes said:

A good Pars team ( successful) pull larger gate's than us = More money ( if in the premiership) 

Saved us from relegation in 2009/10!

If you look back to 2009/10 you'll see that in the 10 league games Allan Johnston played for us that season we got 16 points compared to the 18 points from 28 games when he was absent. AJ might very well have been a crock at the tail end of his career but in the games he did play I thought he did a good job for us helping us to retain possession (compared to the panic when he was missing) and most definitely saved us from being relegated that season.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=9199&season_id=139

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/st-mirren/2009-2010/table

I see Scottish football as being divided into tiers

1. The OF

2. The "big city" teams like Abedeen, Hibs & Hearts

3 The other f/t teams including us & Dunfermline (the diference between us is marginal compared to the difference between us & clubs in other tiers).

4 The p/t teams

Edited by Bud the Baker

It's all about better and not bigger unless two clubs are funded by sectarianism. 

That's why we can hump teams like Hearts and Hibs and teams like Raith can gub us. 

Presently we are just a bit better than Dunfermline but could all change next season. 

Nothing to do with how big they are. 

27 minutes ago, shull said:

It's all about better and not bigger unless two clubs are funded by sectarianism. 

That's why we can hump teams like Hearts and Hibs and teams like Raith can gub us. 

Presently we are just a bit better than Dunfermline but could all change next season. 

Nothing to do with how big they are. 

Shull.  Partly true. Things could change.  The Pars have a Good Ground that holds more people than ours and we'll priced and great Steak Bridies.

What's not to like?