Welcome Mihai Popescu

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, billyg said:

I think Baird's on a sticky wicket as we move on. Have we offered him a new deal yet ? McKenzie/Davis was the preferred partnership under JR , injuries or tactics decided if Baird was involved. Worth also bearing in mind that Oran has also dropped Baird this season. I don't think anyone involved sees him as a long-term solution , he simply hasn't developed into the Premiership quality defender that we all hoped he would !

What do you know Bairdy gets a 2 year contract . . . . :hammer

Just now, Sweeper07 said:

What do you know Bairdy gets a 2 year contract . . . . :hammer

Yeah , it must have taken him almost two seconds to agree to it.  Like there was a queue of clubs trying to get him on PCA ? I stand by my comments that he's not good enough , unless we're planning another spell in Championship !

2 minutes ago, billyg said:

Yeah , it must have taken him almost two seconds to agree to it.  Like there was a queue of clubs trying to get him on PCA ? I stand by my comments that he's not good enough , unless we're planning another spell in Championship !

He is a St. Mirren lad and his heart is here - these kind are fewer these days and with good ability it is a no brainer to give them new contracts.

He is still playing in every game and does not look out his depth. You can stand by your comments, but the professions at our club don't agree with you.  :P

3 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

He is a St. Mirren lad and his heart is here - these kind are fewer these days and with good ability it is a no brainer to give them new contracts.

He is still playing in every game and does not look out his depth. You can stand by your comments, but the professions at our club don't agree with you.  :P

Prepare for my next reply , after his next f**k up , which you and I both know isn't too far away ! :byebye

7 minutes ago, billyg said:

Prepare for my next reply , after his next f**k up , which you and I both know isn't too far away ! :byebye

I stand by my comments that he's not good enough

I think Baird's on a sticky wicket as we move on. Have we offered him a new deal yet ? McKenzie/Davis was the preferred partnership under JR , injuries or tactics decided if Baird was involved. Worth also bearing in mind that Oran has also dropped Baird this season. I don't think anyone involved sees him as a long-term solution ,

You said you stand by what you said but you said he was on a sticky wicket and questioned whether he would be offered a deal and said that you don't think ANYONE sees him as a long-term solution - so you were WRONG my friend.   :hammer

Now you seem hell bent on trying to prove that Baird is a dud cause he will make a mistake - He will at some point - all players do . . .

Wonder if you'll be angry if someone pitches in with an offer for him in the future?

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

You said you stand by what you said but you said he was on a sticky wicket and questioned whether he would be offered a deal and said that you don't think ANYONE sees him as a long-term solution - so you were WRONG my friend.   :hammer

Now you seem hell bent on trying to prove that Baird is a dud cause he will make a mistake - He will at some point - all players do . . .

Wonder if you'll be angry if someone pitches in with an offer for him in the future?

When I said ANYONE , I should have factored in the shocking signings etc rubber stamped by our BOD this season . ANYONE who would ok deals for the non-football players we signed earlier is likely to offer an extension to ANYONE ! Baird is not on the same planet as our other young centre-halfs who we have developed over the years , he would be gone by now if he was .  

35 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Bairdy certainly not justified a two year deal. Nothing learned from the signings the board sanctioned for Stubbs.

Today's NONSENSE from Mr make it up ; back track and don't respond when you are shown up as a Tw*t  :fire

Those signings - were requested by Stubzo and you defended him constantly in this forum . . . did you expect the BOD not to give him some backing?   :hammer

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what the buy option is on Mihai but surely given we've negotiated one, it must be something remotely affordable. 

I'd be pushing the boat out to take Bucharest up on it straight away. What a find this guy has been. Absolutely superb and along with Hladky (who is thankfully ours) a constant shining light through some difficult times in the last 4 weeks. 

The sort of guy you build a defence around. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not sure what the buy option is on Mihai but surely given we've negotiated one, it must be something remotely affordable. 

I'd be pushing the boat out to take Bucharest up on it straight away. What a find this guy has been. Absolutely superb and along with Hladky (who is thankfully ours) a constant shining light through some difficult times in the last 4 weeks. 

Agree 100 per cent.  

Some are suggesting that he plays holding midfield and it looks like he could. 

Currently his fitness is not there for that role (IMO) 

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think I remember OK stating that it was a fairly sizeable sum for a club of our stature.

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Agree 100 per cent.  

Some are suggesting that he plays holding midfield and it looks like he could. 

Currently his fitness is not there for that role (IMO) 

His fitness isn't there, nor do we have cover at centre half to allow for it with only Baird and Mihai now being our fit central defenders. 

These things don't always work out when you think a player is suited for another role. He moves there and it just doesn't work. I'd leave him as is. 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think it all could depends on what league we are playing next season, though i agree in the very short time he has been with us, he is already looking like a magnificent find. Makes you wish the Heaton fee was instead spent on this lad. 

I would be inclined to ask for an extended loan deal if he was not within our transfer budget, if we are playing in the top flight next season.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:18 AM, billyg said:

I always see him as that guy that provides cover , sits on the bench and probably gets used 20 times a season , every team needs a couple of players who are happy to do that 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, MenstrieSaint said:

I always see him as that guy that provides cover , sits on the bench and probably gets used 20 times a season , every team needs a couple of players who are happy to do that 

Reality is he plays more than 20 games every season - so time for a reality check! He is MUCH better than some fans think he is.

All our managers also believe this - they cannot all be wrong . . .

Hope he pitches in with a goal tomorrow and we take 3 points !:spud6

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, Lord Pityme said:

Bairdy certainly not justified a two year deal. Nothing learned from the signings the board sanctioned for Stubbs.

More nonsense from you !  Another great performance from Bairdy today on the back of another one against Aberdeen.

In fact all our defending looks better now that we have Popescu and Muzek and Hladky . . . 

We are going marching on . . .  there must be a song for this... :spud7

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, munoz said:

The big man has been outstanding since arriving and seems to be enjoying things (bar the rain)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/mihai-popescu-tips-wins-come-14088641

Buddy, I take a totally different view. He said the rain was amazing. I think he loved it. And that it a great window into his attitude to life.  Oran seems to be recruiting strong minded life loving characters.

22 minutes ago, Paisleyporridge said:

Buddy, I take a totally different view. He said the rain was amazing. I think he loved it. And that it a great window into his attitude to life.  Oran seems to be recruiting strong minded life loving characters.

It's just a translation error. He is trying to get across how hard that rain was coming down rather than pass judgment on whether he liked it or not.

His attitude is great though.

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Best signing of the window

He wins everything in the air and covers so much ground.....................

We stay up- it will be down to our new signings, just need the Duck to start laying

I think the improvement in our performances shows that there are a number of challengers for the best signing in the window - I believe that it is best to judge at the end of the season - who knows who will stay fit etc. Popescu is top notch though I agree. The big deal though is he and Baird play really well together too.

Think you are being a wee bit hard on the Duck  -  I know some believe he was expected to be better than he has shown so far, but I had a wee look at the 6 games he has played in for us since he arrived:-

He has played for 46 minutes in 1 game; about 60 minutes in 3 others, 69 minutes in 1 other and only played the full 90 in 1.

He has scored 2 goals in 6 games - I take from these things that (a) He is not fully fit yet for 90 minutes, (b) 1 in 3 strike rate when he is still getting up to speed is not too shabby.

:bounce2