Welcome Mihai Popescu

Popescu has been outstanding. He has driven us on over the last 10 games or so. He not only defends well but he passes out of defence brilliantly and is very comfortable on the ball. His drives forward when others were static allowed spaces to open up to create openings which the midfield and strikers were failing to do.

Is he worth £350k? It is far too steep a price for us but yea if Kpekawa was transferred for £450,000 from QPR to Barnsley then Mihai is worth every penny of £350,000.

2 hours ago, munoz said:

Maybe this is why Tony has been touting Hladky about the place. 

The money quoted indicates we'd effectively be choosing between Hladky and Popescu... I'd sooner keep Hladky for a year and lose him on a free than spend whatever money we get for him, on Popescu.

Ideally I'd keep both, of course.

No chance should we paying £350k for Popescu, regardless of McGinn money or any other cash we have kicking around. £100k should be the most we pay, and even that is maybe pushing it a bit. If they want significantly more than that then time to look elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

No chance should we paying £350k for Popescu, regardless of McGinn money or any other cash we have kicking around. £100k should be the most we pay, and even that is maybe pushing it a bit. If they want significantly more than that then time to look elsewhere.

IF there is not a purchase clause in the previous contract, as was previously muted, then that is a poor show. However, if Tony is saying they want £350k then either there is a clause that they are trying to weasel out of or there is not clause of this type.

If that is the case then this is just the usual negotiation nonsense - they way £350k we offer £75k and at some point we meet at £140k and bob is your uncle...

Only issue with that is if someone else comes into the bidding  and war breaks out - then we will probably lose . . .

4 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

IF there is not a purchase clause in the previous contract, as was previously muted, then that is a poor show. However, if Tony is saying they want £350k then either there is a clause that they are trying to weasel out of or there is not clause of this type.

If that is the case then this is just the usual negotiation nonsense - they way £350k we offer £75k and at some point we meet at £140k and bob is your uncle...

Only issue with that is if someone else comes into the bidding  and war breaks out - then we will probably lose . . .

Well , my Uncle Bob doesnt have a spare £140K Kicking around so i hope yours has.

£50K and they can also have Heaton.  We will even pay his plane fare..

Just now, Callum Gilhooley said:

Well , my Uncle Bob doesnt have a spare £140K Kicking around so i hope yours has.

£50K and they can also have Heaton.  We will even pay his plane fare..

I think that is why Tony is quoting £350k - that is the deal which includes them taking Heaton off our hands

On 5/31/2019 at 2:05 PM, Stu said:

I can't believe we would part with £350k for one player. That would be pretty stupid.

I have to say that I probably wouldn't spend £100k on him either.

Pretty sure we could get a decent enough player in that position for nothing.

Edited by oaksoft

It is simple negotiations - his agent, his club and someone for us who is not Tony.

The player wants to come back. Their club don't want him back. His agent is trying to ramp up his cut...

We make an offer and put in a deadline with an invitation to discuss it up till that deadline...

Are there likely to be any Premiership Clubs who might try and pip us?  Hamilton/Rice but they are skint, Livi is a real possibility - they lost their 2 CB's etc.

My take would be get the agent on board to beat down his club and offer Mahai and the agent a better slice...

On 5/31/2019 at 10:55 AM, Sonny said:

Popescu has been outstanding. He has driven us on over the last 10 games or so. He not only defends well but he passes out of defence brilliantly and is very comfortable on the ball. His drives forward when others were static allowed spaces to open up to create openings which the midfield and strikers were failing to do.

Is he worth £350k? It is far too steep a price for us but yea if Kpekawa was transferred for £450,000 from QPR to Barnsley then Mihai is worth every penny of £350,000.

I believe it was actually 650k was it not?. Either way, its a quite incredible waste of money.

But no, Kpekewa isn't worth that. If we are using him as a barometer of transfer value we could make a few million just selling some of the steamers in our away support! :lol:

On 5/31/2019 at 10:55 AM, Sonny said:

100% in agreement.

Who are we going to be replace him with? His ability on the ball and ability to turn defence in to attack mark him out as a cut above the usual standard of player in this league. I would not only be finding the money to sign him, but building the spine of the team around him. He would be a great asset to a fast, counter-attacking style of football (which is exactly the style we should be playing)

Get him signed!

7 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I believe it was actually 650k was it not?. Either way, its a quite incredible waste of money.

But no, Kpekewa isn't worth that. If we are using him as a barometer of transfer value we could make a few million just selling some of the steamers in our away support! :lol:

My point is that clubs pay stupid money for shit players. Rangers signed some guy for £2m and has hardly played a game for them. They now want to unload him. Popescu is not a shit player though and I think easily worth £350,00 although we don't have that sort of cash unless SMiSA chip in :)

We seem to be stuck here because of the fear of paying a transfer fee.

In the last few years though we have carried quite big squads, at times massive squads full of rubbish actually. Would we not be better to try and assemble a squad of 14 quality players backed up by young players from the academy? Lose a few from the wage bill and use that money to ensure we have a lean squad of Hladkys, Popescu, Flynns and Mullens rather than a huge squad of deadwood.

We seem to be stuck here because of the fear of paying a transfer fee.
In the last few years though we have carried quite big squads, at times massive squads full of rubbish actually. Would we not be better to try and assemble a squad of 14 quality players backed up by young players from the academy? Lose a few from the wage bill and use that money to ensure we have a lean squad of Hladkys, Popescu, Flynns and Mullens rather than a huge squad of deadwood.

No .

47 minutes ago, bigles said:

I think Popescu is a great player for us. We should do all within our means to get him. As with Vaclav, we may then be in for more money to repay our investment, and in the meantime retain a solid want to win player.

Get Popescu on a good length contract you will get more than the £350,000 wanted.