Welcome Mihai Popescu

he was absolutely outstanding for saints and if we had a chance we should have signed the lad - Mckenzie is good but you’ll not get a full season from him. Popescu was one of the reasons why we survived. Didn’t a board member sat we were waiting signing two defenders? If he ends up at Hibs or st Johnstone that will be a joke

6 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Pretty sure its about Money

Seriously some fans on here need to get real............................

We have strict budgets and I am sure our New Manager doesnt want the budget blown on a player that could cost 300k plus. Thats a lot of money.....

We might get him back on loan, but if not we move on- Like Oran- thanks for last season

I also have far more faith in Goodwins and Gus's ability than some on here

Knickerwetersabound# 

6 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

The majority of clubs in Scotland are unable or unwilling to pay a transfer fee.  We cannot afford to spend a large part of our transfer budget on one player (ignoring the stupid Heaton one under Stubbs)

6 hours ago, magnus said:

We seem to do way better than our immediate  competition in the January transfer windows and way worse than our competition in the main transfer window. Is this because the fear of dropping into the Championship is heightened when we are sitting bottom at Christmas and the numbers get re-worked in some way or is there a separate January budget?

Strict budgets.... my arse!

Stubbs spent the budget, then tbe magic money tree allowed Oran to sign Anton, Hammill and Jackson, then another magic money tree allowed Oran to sign a new team in January, and!!! Pay off managers, coaches players on two and three year contracts. And now in the mew money tree forest theres enough to pay off Oran, but feck all to sign Mihai.....

more money is found for failure (board, manager, players)  than is ever made available to achieve success. The club is very,very poorly run!

46 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

he was absolutely outstanding for saints and if we had a chance we should have signed the lad - Mckenzie is good but you’ll not get a full season from him. Popescu was one of the reasons why we survived. Didn’t a board member sat we were waiting signing two defenders? If he ends up at Hibs or st Johnstone that will be a joke

I'd guess Hibs, Hearts, Killie, Dons or a Dundee team.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I'd guess Hibs, Hearts, Killie, Dons or a Dundee team.

Can't see him ending up in the Championship,  but any of the other 4 teams are feasible. Looking like we've missed the boat on this one.

1 hour ago, norrie82 said:

If he ends up at Hibs or st Johnstone that will be a joke

St Johnstone I’ll give you, but Hibs? They had no problem splashing out a six figure sum for Kamberi and will always be able to offer better wages then we can. Can’t see why that would be bad on us if Mihai goes there.

Could all of this not just be down to timing?  Are we not due money from Hibs soon for McGinn's transfer to Villa and perhaps more if he moves to United.  I'm sure the guy who writes on Eastern European fitba for the Gruniad tweeted that a deal had been agreed.  Or am I just looking for good news where there may be none?

The guy returns to Paisley a deal looks set then this. I know we are a wee diddy team but if there was a small chance we could have got him why didn’t we. Maybe we did and as I say we likely pay shite so that’s that. The clubs run quite to basically just  survive or play championship football so I think popescu was one of those guys who was great at the time but ultimately he will end up at Hibs or Killie. I did speak to an Celtic coach  lately who thought v highly of him so  it shows you he must be on the radar of others who might pay more than 600 quid a week 

If Kellerman and Heaton move on, we have about 8 further players needing to come in.

If rumours about £350k payoff being required are true, it would be madness to spunk around 1/3 of our rumoured budget buying one player (and that's before we pay him).

We need to move on and trust Jim and Gus to sort things out.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If Kellerman and Heaton move on, we have about 8 further players needing to come in.

If rumours about £350k payoff being required are true, it would be madness to spunk around 1/3 of our rumoured budget buying one player (and that's before we pay him).

We need to move on and trust Jim and Gus to sort things out.

He's a player worth pushing the boat out for but nowhere near to the extent that was being quoted. 

I'd still love to have him back but if there is anyone we are willing to push the boat out for, I'd hope it would be someone who can stick the ball in the net or unlock a defence with a through ball.

Dependable centre halves are a lot more common than creative footballers and goalscorers. If he comes back great, if not, I'm sure there are others in mind. 

17 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Strict budgets.... my arse!

Stubbs spent the budget, then tbe magic money tree allowed Oran to sign Anton, Hammill and Jackson, then another magic money tree allowed Oran to sign a new team in January, and!!! Pay off managers, coaches players on two and three year contracts. And now in the mew money tree forest theres enough to pay off Oran, but feck all to sign Mihai.....

more money is found for failure (board, manager, players)  than is ever made available to achieve success. The club is very,very poorly run!

This forum is very poorly run as it allows you to post on it

For me Mihai is far above our normal standard of defender. Him, Hladky and Muzek transformed our defence from one that was losing games to one that started to draw then win games. At our level a great centre half is more important that a striker IMHO. If we are not conceding then we are not losing. And draws can give us a base to work from and build confidence. We just need any player per game to score and maybe snatch a 1-0 win. Livi had Halkett last season who made them very hard to beat and got them points. Let's see how they get on this season without him. It is ironic we paid £75k for a no user like Heaton yet cannot find the cash for an exceptional centre half (for us that is) like Mihai. Fingers crossed it is not too late.

Edited by Sonny

17 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

St Johnstone I’ll give you, but Hibs? They had no problem splashing out a six figure sum for Kamberi and will always be able to offer better wages then we can. Can’t see why that would be bad on us if Mihai goes there.

Hibs have just had their debt cleared and have a new owner with plenty dosh !!

31 minutes ago, Sonny said:

For me Mihai is far above our normal standard standard of defender. Him, Hladky and Muzek transformed our defence from one that was losing games to one that started to draw then win games. At our level a great centre half is more important that a striker IMHO. If we are not conceding then we are not losing. And draws can give us a base to work from and build confidence. We just need any player per game to score and maybe snatch a 1-0 win. Livi had Halkett last season who made them very hard to beat and got them points. Let's see how they get on this season without him. It is ironic we paid £75k for a no user like Heaton yet cannot find the cash for an exceptional centre half (for us that is) like Mihai. Fingers crossed it is not too late.

Here is the difference- Stubbs paid 75k for a guy that alledgely was groomed for stardom. Obviously his agent was a Double Glazing Salesman ....................

We bought it- signing Stubbs ad his crew has cost us, saving our necks has cost us........................

We need stability .................

I was a huge Mihai fan, not only a good player but some passion on the park also ................. We will struggle to find anyone of his ability , so if its still there and doable, feckin do it